Return to “Suggestions”

Forum universe mapping

Hi guys,

I was thinking this morning of what Josh said about mapping certain universes together on the forums, and I thought of something (that's either blindingly obvious or that's already been said). lkraider brought it up in his thread ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29 ) but if his ideas for getting information to the user weren't feasible (at least in the short term), how about the forum map exploration thing becomes a feature of the game, in the sense that:
There exists on the forum a map section where players upload map data. Say that part of this section contains information on universe 1234 (or whatever) where the data is uploaded. When a user uploads above a certain amount of data for a single, continuous section of space, they then get to name that part of space (e.g. "Plains of Spica") and briefly describe said part of space, maybe in the form of user-defined lore, or perhaps a simple description of the characteristics of that space.

I know that community-mapping has already been discussed a lot - in this post I'm interested specifically in the opportunities for lore (or implied lore) that emerges as the community puts together a map. Josh said we make our own story as we play - yes, let's do that. But let's go further - let's write a story as a community, together; an exploration, together, of the inhabited universe.

This has the obvious advantage of not needing much coding in the game itself, though there would still need to be a way to upload the map data.

What do you think? Am I just beating a dead horse here?

EDIT: Oops, I missed viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79 =( My bad!
Re: Forum universe mapping

I think they're all great ideas, I'm just not sure about implementation! When it comes to web coding, I know nothing. So I wouldn't be able to build any kind of online system that allows people to upload maps...but maybe a knowledgeable member of the forum would be able to. At any rate, we'll definitely discuss this in more detail as the time draws nearer :) In the mean time, feel free to shout out your ideas about how the community mapping should be handled!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I think they're all great ideas, I'm just not sure about implementation! When it comes to web coding, I know nothing. So I wouldn't be able to build any kind of online system that allows people to upload maps...but maybe a knowledgeable member of the forum would be able to. At any rate, we'll definitely discuss this in more detail as the time draws nearer :) In the mean time, feel free to shout out your ideas about how the community mapping should be handled!
Perhaps webcoding, netcode and web integration could be good skills of an individual you recruit/hire in the future to assist you since you are likley to get alot of extra money raised from the kickstarter?

I think it could prove very useful when it comes to integrating things like user maps, but also when it comes to uploading, sharing and downloading ships created by the editor. And also when it comes to looking at how hard it would be to implement multiplayer (syncronus or asyncronus).

Ixos wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:I think they're all great ideas, I'm just not sure about implementation! When it comes to web coding, I know nothing. So I wouldn't be able to build any kind of online system that allows people to upload maps...but maybe a knowledgeable member of the forum would be able to. At any rate, we'll definitely discuss this in more detail as the time draws nearer :) In the mean time, feel free to shout out your ideas about how the community mapping should be handled!
Perhaps webcoding, netcode and web integration could be good skills of an individual you recruit/hire in the future to assist you since you are likley to get alot of extra money raised from the kickstarter?

I think it could prove very useful when it comes to integrating things like user maps, but also when it comes to uploading, sharing and downloading ships created by the editor. And also when it comes to looking at how hard it would be to implement multiplayer (syncronus or asyncronus).
+1 on having a dedicated web-interface/content exchange manager. This will be invaluable in supporting the community. Having someone who understands what information needs to be able to pass from player to player to make joint mapping efforts and ship design sharing feasible is something I believe will be critical to ensuring players feel involved in the community, and not just treating the game as an independent adventure.
I am 42.

Online Now