Return to “General”

Post

Re: Engine Damage

#16
Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:29 pm
Hyperion wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:27 pm
Well this should probably be moved to the suggestions board, but otherwise I like the idea, at least the basics of it.

I'm not so keen on the 1/4 speed bit, that seems a bit arbitrary, however having much reduced speed and difficulty steering when an engine is damaged would be a fun mechanic. I disagree with Cornflakes on the notion that engines should never be completely disabled... if your engine wasn't just damaged but destroyed, you better either have a backup, an onboard nanite-repair module, or a distress beacon. Consequences should matter, and if you don't have a fallback, you should in fact be screwed. Would being stuck in the middle of nowhere, waiting for someone to pick up your distress signal and come to rescue you be fun? Probably not, but it shouldn't be fun, it SHOULD be an annoying pain in the ass; You're being punished for your lack of foresight. If you're stuck and don't feel like waiting, reload your last save and hope you learned your lesson.
I would agree with reduced acceleration, but I don't think max speed should be affected again for the reasons I mentioned.

I also don't like the destroyed engines with no *default* way to repair them on board. There should be damage control on all ships, you shouldn't be forced to remember to bring items that should be on board permanently.
Speed, acceleration, pretty much the same thing in this context, and I'm fine with it being either.

I disagree with any default, always-present, repair options. Sure, they can come pretty standard with most ships the same way most cars come standard with seatbelts and airbags. But if you want to minimize your ship's weight, or you feel you won't need on-board repair because the mothership has one, or whatever other reason you choose to go out there without some method of fixing yourself, how is that any different than choosing to buy that high damage sword that costs all your gold and you don't have any money left over for healing potions/med kits? If you want to risk being stranded, and then you actually get stranded... too damn bad, maybe you shouldn't have been dumb.

Again, this isn't for a damaged system, if it's just damaged, it should still partially function, this is only for a completely destroyed subsystem. No magic repairs for you, no magic repairs for the NPCs, No magic repairs period. For most ships, this shouldn't be a problem, backups/ nano forges should be cheap and practically ubiquitous, but you should absolutely be allowed to frak yourself over through your own stupidity.
Image
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Post

Re: Engine Damage

#17
Hyperion wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:00 pm

Speed, acceleration, pretty much the same thing in this context, and I'm fine with it being either.

I disagree with any default, always-present, repair options. Sure, they can come pretty standard with most ships the same way most cars come standard with seatbelts and airbags. But if you want to minimize your ship's weight, or you feel you won't need on-board repair because the mothership has one, or whatever other reason you choose to go out there without some method of fixing yourself, how is that any different than choosing to buy that high damage sword that costs all your gold and you don't have any money left over for healing potions/med kits? If you want to risk being stranded, and then you actually get stranded... too damn bad, maybe you shouldn't have been dumb.

Again, this isn't for a damaged system, if it's just damaged, it should still partially function, this is only for a completely destroyed subsystem. No magic repairs for you, no magic repairs for the NPCs, No magic repairs period. For most ships, this shouldn't be a problem, backups/ nano forges should be cheap and practically ubiquitous, but you should absolutely be allowed to frak yourself over through your own stupidity.
I can agree with default on all ships except it can be removed.

You should be able to out stupid your enemy, but I don't think ignorance or naivety should result in you being annoyingly stranded.
I am literally and wholly in love with myself.
Post

Re: Engine Damage

#18
Black--Snow wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:42 pm
I can agree with default on all ships except it can be removed.

You should be able to out stupid your enemy, but I don't think ignorance or naivety should result in you being annoyingly stranded.
Why not? Have an easy mode where it comes with your starting ship, and is automatically included in the parts list for any ship you buy, and you have to opt out.
Image
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Post

Re: Engine Damage

#20
Hyperion wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:53 pm
Why not? Have an easy mode where it comes with your starting ship.
"Easy" aka "not fucked when encountering the first enemy with system disruptors"?
Hyperion wrote: and is automatically included in the parts list for any ship you buy, and you have to opt out.
When it doesnt incur any noteworthy penalties to carry it and its included by default why model it anyway?

Why not pretend its included in the drive system package and restore basic engine capabilities after a while?
Because if its a non decision to include, why pretend it is a decision?

What does softlocking the player in the middle of nowhere add to the game?
And it will happen because theres nothing in place to make sure it doesn't.

what are the limits of the repair module anyway?
Can it repair everything or just engines?
Can it repair stuff completely? If no, whats the limit?
Can it repair as often as i care to do or is it materials limited?

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron