Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Soundtrack for the game

Actually I keep going back to the KS video in part to see the beautiful space, in part to listen to that background track. Can that track be made available for us to download? Like ASAP? :) I really like it, fits the Space theme very well.

I read somewhere the music can be procedurally generated, so it will be different every time.
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

Ringo wrote:Actually I keep going back to the KS video in part to see the beautiful space, in part to listen to that background track. Can that track be made available for us to download? Like ASAP? :) I really like it, fits the Space theme very well.
Will be available soon!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

I was thinking maybe you could create little samples of music, all created over the same hamonic structure. For example, 20 samples, 1 minute top, same speed, music scale, and you can combine 3 or 4 of them making aleatory combinations between them, and there you have a music creation that works in an aleatory way and a lot of diferent music themes along the game.
So, you can create that structure, and have for all the maps or worlds or galaxies a unique kind of music ever made.

Well, I see three reasonable options in soundtrack decision:

1) Procedural Music Generation (= completely generated game)
imho This would be awesome, but..is it so important? Right now its last in Stretch Goals Poll voting: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21

2) All made by Josh (= achievement for a big goal, "the ONE MAN game")
imho It would be a great achievement for the ONE MAN, but it's one more task for him. Obvious plus is that it would keep the same style.

3) Ask the people
imho My choice, because:
..has been done before (e.g. here: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?t=20025 , here they tried, but declined later: http://www.minerwars.com/ForumTopic.aspx?id=346
..could easily result in tens or hundreds of options
..fans/backers could vote for the "winners" included in the game (= peoples choice + fun)

Of course, I may be completely wrong about it and there are more.. :D

Oh, the "soundtrack issue" is solved I guess :)
from interview with Rock Paper Shotgun http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11 ... h-parnell/

"As for the music, I also plan to compose it myself, as I’ve been a hobbyist composer for many years and have a lot of ideas concerning the aural atmosphere that I’d like to create for this game. Several backers have given me positive feedback on the piece that I composed for the Kickstarter trailer (and subsequently made available to download for free). However, since the launch, I’ve also had several professional composers contact me and express interest in producing the score for Limit Theory. It’s possible that, if I end up feeling overwhelmed by the game development, I may turn to someone else. Still, there’s a big appeal to me in having Limit Theory be totally under the creative control of the one who envisioned it.

In the future, I will be hiring someone to create sound effects, as this is the one area of game production in which I have absolutely zero experience."

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Aphrion wrote:I guess that by now the community consensus is that the music will probably be procedurally generated like everything else in the game, but if a live clarinetist/bass clarinetist is ever needed, I'll certainly offer my services.
The music isnt PCG, its made by the third person with a red name here in the forum, Francois Jolin
And while it might not be totally procedural, I can tell you that Francois is doing some...really, really amazing things with the adaptiveness of the soundtrack ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Online Now