Return to “REKT”

Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#91
Dinosawer wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 am
Other question: what does it roll if I were to launch (and catch, of course) myself using a grav amp a la gravity shotgun?
In other words can I do that without killing myself :ghost:
^
I know you're thinking about the TARGET thing, but I would like to know this cause I might wanna use it this mission :ghost:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#92
I think I'd probably do a roll for you vs default +2 for the throw, to see how close you land to where you want... and then probably a roll vs default to see how well you nail the landing. "Default" here being my word for "everything is 0s"... but that's just at a glance without really trying to work it out or make sure it's balanced with the other ways to toss yourself around. :P It's probably what I'd end up using if you executed it in-turn, though.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#95
So, how does maneuverability work in zero-G, exactly? Does it apply to every single movement, no matter how minor, or only directly in combat/for more complicated moves? Would my character have to roll it for just changing my position by a couple of meters (with both having a wall to push off of and a wall to catch on to), and if so, would I at least get some kind of advantage on the roll?
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#101
Can I do some specific perception or general knowledge rolls in between turns? For example, I'd like to try and make a rough observation of whether the big drakedog is slower/less agile than it's smaller kin (basically, in OOC terms, try to determine whether it has a lower speed/maneuverability rating than the smaller version). I feel like this is the kind of thing that my character would have noticed in the previous turn (since I've already seen the thing move around, presumably) and it would work well to reduce clutter when it comes to the turn actions themselves.

As for GK rolls, I'm of the opinion that almost all GK rolls should be possible to do in-between turns. It would make more sense - a GK roll isn't really an 'action' in the traditional sense of the word, you're just checking whether you have knowledge about something or not - presumably this kind of thing would be instantaneous, so to say. I also feel that it would make GK, in general, more useful and less cumbersome to use.
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#102
Yes, you can do intuition rolls for things like that. I try to answer those between turns already, provided I catch them. I don't always. :oops: Sometimes they can be hard to pick out in a sea of text unless I'm alerted to it.

I'm also of the opinion that GK rolls should be doable between turns. However, I've been debating on whether or not they should be doable in-between missions. In-between missions sounds like it makes much more sense from a story standpoint - doing it that way, it's things that you learn, or don't learn, while you're not on call, so to speak. You'd get a set number of GK rolls between missions, something like 3-6, not sure exactly how many, and then (after leveling) you could use them trying to learn things.

As I recall, though, there was some opposition to this idea because people wanted to be able to "learn things" "in the moment" rather than "naturally"- like the REKT in-joke "Oh yeah, I forgot, I know kung-fu!" :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#103
Talvieno wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:06 am
Yes, you can do intuition rolls for things like that. I try to answer those between turns already, provided I catch them. I don't always. :oops: Sometimes they can be hard to pick out in a sea of text unless I'm alerted to it.

I'm also of the opinion that GK rolls should be doable between turns. However, I've been debating on whether or not they should be doable in-between missions. In-between missions sounds like it makes much more sense from a story standpoint - doing it that way, it's things that you learn, or don't learn, while you're not on call, so to speak. You'd get a set number of GK rolls between missions, something like 3-6, not sure exactly how many, and then (after leveling) you could use them trying to learn things.

As I recall, though, there was some opposition to this idea because people wanted to be able to "learn things" "in the moment" rather than "naturally"- like the REKT in-joke "Oh yeah, I forgot, I know kung-fu!" :lol:
I also imagined a GK roll between missions like that - it would represent time spent actually researching about a topic or learning some new skill/craft/whatever. Meanwhile, on-mission GK rolls should be more about random blurbs of knowledge and minor abilities you may or may not know for whatever reason. As you said, I don't really think that major skills like kung fu should simply be conjurable out of nowhere mid-mission. At the very least, you should have some sort of justification for possibly knowing the skill ("my bio says that I'm from a world where everyone has to learn kung-fu at school" should, for example, be a valid reason IMO) and even then the GK roll should have a penalty, the magnitude of the penalty depending on how major the skill/knowledge/expertise is (saying "Check if I know some basic newtonian physics" should incur a far smaller penalty than "Check if I know the how to build a ship from scratch."). The penalty could be modified(increased or decreased) or possibly even removed altogether depending on how well it fits with your bio (if your bio states that you were a quantum physicist for 30 years, it would actually make sense for you to have knowledge of quantum physics even though it's a relatively hard and unusual skill. On the other, some petty criminal from a backwater mining world should have a huge penalty to knowing the skill, basically making it nigh-impossible to actually succeed the GK roll unless your GK is really high and you get really lucky). This kind of 'background' skill modifier shouldn't be applied when between missions, since you're simply learning a skill, rather than checking whether your background makes it likely for you to have the skill and so it would be inherently easier to succeed GK rolls when off-mission than when on-mission. Hence, you could have both on-mission and off-mission GK rolls, and they would be relatively balanced (on-mission GK rolls would be more flexible and useful to the situation immediately at hand, but harder, while off-mission GK rolls would be easier, but you can't really know for certain how useful the skill is going to end up being)

Also, it would be cool if your other stats/skills could influence your GK rolls. If you say "I roll GK to check whether I know the location of some minor bone in the body" someone with a +2 handiwork/medicine skill should have a bigger chance to succeed than someone with a -2 in the same skill. That way, people would actually have a greater chance of having in-depth knowledge about stuff they're actually skilled at.

Just my two cents :)

Anyway, I'll mark my perception rolls with italic letters between asterisks, hopefully that should be somewhat noticeable.
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#104
Chiming in to say I do quite like the idea of being able to learn things between missions.
(Disclaimer: partly because I would like to be able to use parkour again because it was mighty fun, and I don't like whether or not that is possible depending on 1 dice roll :ghost: )

Vaguely relatedly, DnD has a similar thing - instead of levelling stats, you can choose to pick a so called feat, which grants you abilities or benefits (things like no disadvantage when attacking at very long range, being better at dual wielding, etc.)
Though, in DnD a stat increase doesn't happen a lot and is not as important as in REKT, so I wouldn't just adopt that system - an ability in REKT would have to be really good for someone to be willing to give up levelling, so Tal's idea seems better.
Maybe it could be done in such a way that you do the rolls before we pick what we learn, and the result of the roll then determines how may things we can learn and how well we could learn them - say you tell me I got a 2, a 4 and a 5.
I then choose to learn nothing (2, failure), some basic Hiltorel (4, partial success), and parkour (5, success).
That way GK would mean being able to learn more things on average, without what you learn being completely random, which makes developing a character better, I think...

Just thinking out loud
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING
Image
Post

Re: REKT: Little Questions Thread

#105
Dinosawer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:59 am
Chiming in to say I do quite like the idea of being able to learn things between missions.
(Disclaimer: partly because I would like to be able to use parkour again because it was mighty fun, and I don't like whether or not that is possible depending on 1 dice roll :ghost: )
I like the idea that you can try to learn something but fail at it. It means you're more likely to save cool things for much later. In fact, I would go as far as to say that the possibility of penalty from failure is necessary, and GK will not work at all unless there is a chance you can get some sort of penalty from failed GK rolls. HOWEVER, I also think you ought to be able to make later attempts to learn things. In real life, if you can't pick something up right away, you can go back to it later and try to learn it again. How much later? I'm thinking, after a failure, 1d3 missions later.
Dinosawer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:59 am
Vaguely relatedly, DnD has a similar thing - instead of levelling stats, you can choose to pick a so called feat, which grants you abilities or benefits (things like no disadvantage when attacking at very long range, being better at dual wielding, etc.)
Though, in DnD a stat increase doesn't happen a lot and is not as important as in REKT, so I wouldn't just adopt that system - an ability in REKT would have to be really good for someone to be willing to give up levelling, so Tal's idea seems better.
Yeah, I can't see anyone giving up leveling in REKT. Doing so would put you at a disadvantage almost certainly. Even an ability such as "You succeed with all ranged infantry attacks made while your target is out of cover", while overpowered in itself, would probably not be enough for someone to give up leveling. :lol: And even if they did, it's almost too overpowered to have in the game.
Dinosawer wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:59 am
Maybe it could be done in such a way that you do the rolls before we pick what we learn, and the result of the roll then determines how may things we can learn and how well we could learn them - say you tell me I got a 2, a 4 and a 5.
I then choose to learn nothing (2, failure), some basic Hiltorel (4, partial success), and parkour (5, success).
That way GK would mean being able to learn more things on average, without what you learn being completely random, which makes developing a character better, I think...

Just thinking out loud
No. No, that won't work for a variety of reasons. However, what you could do is say:

"I want to learn parkour, basic hiltorel, and how to tie my shoes, with the following priority: 1. parkour, 2. basic hiltorel, 3. tying my shoes"
and then let's say you roll a 2, 4, and a 5. I don't know why you wouldn't already know how to tie your shoes, but it's a simple skill pretty much anybody can pick up and it's basically impossible NOT to pick it up, so I'd probably give it a +2 bonus to let you catch up with the rest of your kindergarten classmates. After the rolls are sorted by size, that gives:
5 to parkour
4 to learning basic hiltorel
2 (+2) to tying shoes

...Meaning you learn parkour, you pick up a smattering of hiltorel, and you learn to tie your shoes - provided it's quiet and you can say a rhyme out loud while you do it. :lol:
Have a question? Send me a PM! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image
Image
Image

Online Now

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron