Return to “Suggestions”

More light on the ships and stations

Josh your work is excelent I have a suggestion only point I see everything as well but it'd be lovely to see more of these gorgeous ships you're giving us. I'd like to see spotlights on the ships to light them up (especially the carriers and space stations) and maybe a system config item for ambient lighting so as we can all tailor it to our individual tastes.
:D
Re: More light on the ships and stations

Josh mentioned somewhere the lighting would be... difficult with this engine. Depends on all kinds of technobabble that I skipped over. =)

But... there are no problems. Only opportunities for features. =)
X3 has some extremely dark sectors. With asteroids. Big ones and a lot of them.
I wrote this script to give the player an opportunity to temporarily light up the place.
Yes, I know that scripts can't do that. I just didn't care.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

rickisen wrote:I don't know if I agree with this. I like the fact that it's so dark, It looks beautiful. But some lights on the hull might look cool. But ambient light just makes stuff looks like cartoons, too kid frendly...
yes you have in part reason the ambient light maybe is not good idea but some lights on the hull of ship station if is a wish because this help to locate the ships and stations in the dark space...don you believe ? :lol:

As much as I like specular lighting and real-time shadows, sometimes being able to see other things is more important. Freespace didn't have shadowing and it worked fairly large.

However, I do know the importance of shadows. Nothing says "OMG" like fighting a small dogfight and then suddenly being engulfed in shadow because a huge carrier jumped in not too close and blotted out the star... and is heading your way.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

no reason not to have static lighting. i mean perhaps have the option for dynamic lighting but if its limited because of performance issues. leave it up to the player to decide XD. i want my ships and stations to be sparkling gems of light in the vast (relative darkness) of space. XD
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:no reason not to have static lighting. i mean perhaps have the option for dynamic lighting but if its limited because of performance issues. leave it up to the player to decide XD. i want my ships and stations to be sparkling gems of light in the vast (relative darkness) of space. XD
Not sure what you're talking about, because static lighting does not move, so you can't have static lighting moving with your ship :o

I assume you mean having billboard-type lights, i.e. camera-facing circles of color that look like lights from afar but don't actually produce any light up close?
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

The X3 script I linked earlier uses a static dynamic light. =)

It installs a hotkey that lets you drop a "flare" from your ship.
It burns for maybe a minute and the light gradually dims until it fades away.

I did that by creating a whole array of very weak suns where the "flare" is dropped.
One by one these suns are then deleted. That way there is no break while one sun is replaced by a weaker sun.
It's dynamic in a sense of you being able to create it anytime, anywhere. It just uses easily available missiles as "fuel". =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Online Now