Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Destructable Planets

Probably unlikely in the first release or a stretch goal...honestly it's a pretty esoteric feature that only ridiculously rich people would get to use, and I think the amount of development effort required to implement it wouldn't be worth the gain. That being said, I don't ever like ruling something out completely ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

perhaps we can meet somewhere in the middle. lets set aside the Deathstar level of destruction that everyone jumps to and lets look at all the other forms od destruction available?

viruses natural disaster suns blinking out or going nova. worlds being taken over and then striped of all life. radiation comets you name it the list just grows from there on trust me. there are other ways to break worlds as well. a planet that lived for centuries ans the hub of trade for an entire galaxy is suddenly blockaded by your faction and held ransom can you imagine the chaos that would ensue (or the military response?)
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

The problem I see with this is the enemy can build a planet destroying super weapon as well, and whenever the AI gets a super weapon it's always a major PITA. I admit it would be fun to blow up someone else's planet, but when you're on the wrong end of that Death Star it could end up ruining the game for a lot of people.

When someone has a Death Star they don't really need a reason to attack you ;)

I just think in a game that many people may sink more than a hundred hours of gameplay into a single save game having something as potentially game-breaking as planet destruction may do more harm than good. Station destruction and jump gate destruction? Sure, those things can be rebuilt. I mean if you can implement a way to build a planet that may change my mind, but I doubt that would happen.

The Hedge Knight wrote:It's your fault for bringing the anger of a faction with a god weapon onto yourself.
+1

Besides, is there no law in the universe? Everyone is saying that factions are randomly going to blow up planets and you have to be careful. Well, wouldn't there someone to prevent it? I'd like to assume that if a government is in control of some systems they would be able to stop something of a God weapon, otherwise they wouldn't really be much of a government/law enforcers to begin with. On the other hand, if a faction does have a God weapon that is capable of taking out some governments, then wouldn't that dictate that THEY are the controlling government? I.E. Those with the biggest weapons control the spice?

What it comes down to is that there should be no 'randomly blowing up planets'. The NPCs have motives and have ideals too. If they're blowing something up, there's a reason behind it. I'm sure when it comes to universe generation that either Josh will program it to plop your ship down into peaceful territory, or if you can choose where you go yourself, you'll be able to see how war-torn the territory is when you set out (much like Dwarf Fortress allows you to before you set out). Boom, automatic difficulty modifier.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Personally speaking, I'm all for being able to bombard a planet but having the ability to blow one up is a bit much. Plus Josh would have to determine what happens to the planet afterwards....does it blow up leaving no debris? (unrealistic), does it become a clump of asteroids? (more likely) but how do those asteroids get distributed? or do they just sit around in a big clump? Also will we be able to mine these asteroids?.....

I think Josh has enough on his plate to be programming an epic scale space sim from scratch on his own....(although I would not be the least it surprised that when the game comes out Josh says "Oh by the way you can blow up planets now along with create blackholes that can suck up entire solar systems ;) ). I would prefer that the focus be more on the space ships and this amazing AI that we keep hearing about :). Just having the ability to colonize planets is awesome!

If you want to blow up planets with a death star like weapon go play some Master of Orion 2 (Not trying to be offensive....just dating myself :P )

Who needs a planet killer when a single bug can crash the entire universe?

And if there is such a ship / station, it should at least be of appropriate proportions.
Maybe at least 1/10 of the mass of planet it's supposed to blow up.

In case of Earth, that would be a ship with the mass of about 6000000000000000 of the biggest modern aircraft carriers.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Or the nuclear arsenal of the planet. So clearly while planets exploding may not be an option, completely wiping the whole place out and leaving the planet a broken freezing radioactive wasteland certainly is.
-Keon-

(I don't have any funny quotes to put here yet. Somebody say something funny.)

Online Now