Return to “Suggestions”

Perma death

A nice feature, atleast in my opinion, is the option to play somekind of hard core mode with permadeath and the ability after to start a new in the same universe, keeping all the changes made by your previous character. A bit like Dwarf Fortress does.
Re: Perma death

Natural Cow wrote:A nice feature, atleast in my opinion, is the option to play somekind of hard core mode with permadeath and the ability after to start a new in the same universe, keeping all the changes made by your previous character. A bit like Dwarf Fortress does.
I agree! Adding to idea list. Also a very nice and easy thing to implement. Thanks for the suggestion :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Hmm... I like the idea of starting over in the same universe discovering and seeing your achomplishments with a fresh perspective...
how sereal would it be to come across the remains of a faction you created only to have them open fire upon you because your allied with your old enemies...

That is ofc provided the KS makes enough money to reach that stretch goal.

@Zenton
You mean like a persistent feud where the AI factions will remember the grudge they had with a now dead (previous incarnation if you will) player?

If so I am not sure I like it. Imagine if in the past game the player was powerful enough to launch an all out war and came close to wiping out several factions, only to lose to some mistake or unexpected turn in the battle? And when the player is 'revived' all those factions go after him? Not fun.

And I do not like perma death myself except when playing rogue-likes, cos death becomes an accepted feature.
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

I do not believe that the player's character would 'return' from the dead, Ringo, that would be counter to the idea of their death being permanent. I think the idea is that the state of the universe would persist for the start of a new campaign with a new character. In other words, if you, as a player, desired it, you would be able to begin in the same world but instead of starting from the base seed you would do so with the established 'history' of the previous, now deceased, PC in place.

And yes I think it is a grand idea.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Yup, perhaps I did not write it as clear as Tom did. The previous player is dead, but the grudges are brought forward to the next player (being yourself again) playing in the same universe.

And no I am not sure that is fun. Depends on the grudge. If you pissed off the whole universe that you were hunted so much, you died, and that grudge remains, meaning your new character will also be hunted, how will you get out of that vicious cycle?
Image To boldly go where no one has gone before

The thing is in 'perma death' you are not yourself after reincarnation. the factions would have no affiliations towards you just your former self. So you could come across whats left of your former ships destroying the remnants of a faction you were fighting when you died etc.

Ringo wrote:Yup, perhaps I did not write it as clear as Tom did. The previous player is dead, but the grudges are brought forward to the next player (being yourself again) playing in the same universe.

And no I am not sure that is fun. Depends on the grudge. If you pissed off the whole universe that you were hunted so much, you died, and that grudge remains, meaning your new character will also be hunted, how will you get out of that vicious cycle?
Better yet (IMO), the new character and the old one are clearly distinct, but the new finds the universe in the state the previous one left it (of course, stuff might happen in a location during the time it takes you to reach it). How cool would it be to make character A, piss off a faction, get killed, then make character B, take a nicer approach with that faction and hear them mention "That bastard A! We got him good!" :mrgreen:

Atarun wrote:
Ringo wrote:Yup, perhaps I did not write it as clear as Tom did. The previous player is dead, but the grudges are brought forward to the next player (being yourself again) playing in the same universe.

Better yet (IMO), the new character and the old one are clearly distinct, but the new finds the universe in the state the previous one left it (of course, stuff might happen in a location during the time it takes you to reach it). How cool would it be to make character A, piss off a faction, get killed, then make character B, take a nicer approach with that faction and hear them mention "That bastard A! We got him good!" :mrgreen:
That, I believe, is exactly the idea, Atarun. No connection between the two PCs whatsoever, just a persistent 'history' of the universe that continues from the death of character A to the beginning of the adventures of character B.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Tom wrote:
Atarun wrote:

That, I believe, is exactly the idea, Atarun. No connection between the two PCs whatsoever, just a persistent 'history' of the universe that continues from the death of character A to the beginning of the adventures of character B.
Yeah that's pretty much how Dwarf fortress works, the worlds are persistent, it's cool to get in an adventurer game after you lost a fortress and find it all destroyed and with most stuff you actually saw your dwarves make there for example, I would really love if this was implemented in LT.

Online Now