Return to “Suggestions”

Artifacts

The idea is to have a sort of collectible system with lets say 150 random generated artifacts with their respective effects, price and relation to one or more factions. if you want to have unlimited artifacts it becomes harder to make a screen with all your collectibles, but you could replace that with 'fuck it i'm keeping them in this ship for safekeeping and selling the useless ones'.
also if they could come in 'pairs' or 'series' so you will search thrugh some systems to get them all for some extra bonus or better relations with a faction or something.

this is REALLY non essential, just juggeling ideas here.
Re: artifacts

Hm.

The basic idea behind LT is that the universe is random, and more or less unlimited. Dividing up 150 whatchamacallits around infinite space spreads them rather thin and makes finding them a hassle.
Unlimited thingamabobs would be "just another bonus item", with them coming in series or groups making the whole thing rather aggravating, as once again you're at the mercy of the RNG as far as "completing" a set does.
This only works in a very controlled environment (like Torchlight 2, which has about 2-3 sets in each level range, and randomly generates the set parts so that there's an actual chance of completing one, as opposed to Diablo 2, where you basically had to rely on trading them with other players or repeat the content over and over and over ad nauseam).

The question is rather, what would those "artifacts" be? Another stat-stick without relation to an actual piece of equipment or translation to a working in-game concept? I'm afraid "magic space stones" doesn't do much for me, even less if carrying magic space stone #145 makes my guns go faster and improves my digestion as the same time. This needs lore or technobabble behind it as justification, and even then I prefer to have a ship which is indeed the sum of its parts, and not powered by handwavium.

YMMV of course.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Some sort of costly as hell minerals like diamond would be cool, but just a bunch of instant win artifacts that only you can find sounds like it is against the game.

I could imagine like, if you found a city and they start mining they find alien ruins or something and that is a game changer but not you landing on a planet and finding the apple of eden.

Im a pack-rat from way back and i love finding something to collect. I agree that finding 'magic stones' that boost ship systems is not appealing to me. however finding a set of items that individual are not impressive having a set of items would appeal to a collector and might bring a good profit if you decide not to keep them for yourself.

also some artifacts might be important to npcs and depending on what you decide to do with them change your relations (ie selling a holy relic to a hated enemy vs donating it to the rightful owners religious center)
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.
Re: Artifacts

I like the idea, but i think it should be like archaeology, like hints at alien races or something and you can sell the artifacts, and they would only have a chance to spawn in "new new" systems (as in systems you have found that humans have never been to).

-Opi

ok i see how there should be unlimited artifacts, they are not instant win though.
it is more ' sacred to this faction and wil increase relation to them if collected' or 'this artifact increases the engine eficiency if installed on a ship'.
it shoud be small but still cool or useful efects.

The Hedge Knight wrote:Some sort of costly as hell minerals like diamond would be cool, but just a bunch of instant win artifacts that only you can find sounds like it is against the game.

I could imagine like, if you found a city and they start mining they find alien ruins or something and that is a game changer but not you landing on a planet and finding the apple of eden.
Diamonds are actually really common, due to the fact that they're made of Carbon. Truly rare minerals are the ones with higher atomic numbers on the periodic table, like Platinum, Uranium, or Plutonium.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:
The Hedge Knight wrote:Some sort of costly as hell minerals like diamond would be cool, but just a bunch of instant win artifacts that only you can find sounds like it is against the game.

Diamonds are actually really common, due to the fact that they're made of Carbon. Truly rare minerals are the ones with higher atomic numbers on the periodic table, like Platinum, Uranium, or Plutonium.
That's not the point.

I understand this.

Regarding the artifacts themselves, what if they were old or top secret weapons/equipment on wrecked ships throughout the galaxy, in addition to the collectibles already mentioned?

Such weapons could have randomized stats, meaning some will be really terrible (outdated, ancient, but maybe cool-looking) or better than what's currently available (new, top-secret, classified, or lost in testing).
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

I would imagine something along the lines of mining activities in more remote systems (very) occasionally turning up some ancient/alien artifacts. They might not do anything particular technological in themselves, but you'd get to decide whether to sell them for profit, donate them to a museum or similar for a reputation boost with a particular faction, or keep them for yourself for some other benefit – "notoriety" or whatever we have, perhaps something that would make it easier to attract NPCs to give you missions or work for you.

In the latter case, obviously you'd have some pesky starship captain with a fedora and a bullwhip coming after you, trying to take them from you and claiming they "belong in a museum". :geek:

There should be a random chance that a found artifact was booby trapped. Once disturbed it sets off a beacon that attracts nearby aliens. Having them as the only truly alien race, and all the other factions parts of humanity.

Lanfranc wrote:I would imagine something along the lines of mining activities in more remote systems (very) occasionally turning up some ancient/alien artifacts. They might not do anything particular technological in themselves, but you'd get to decide whether to sell them for profit, donate them to a museum or similar for a reputation boost with a particular faction, or keep them for yourself for some other benefit – "notoriety" or whatever we have, perhaps something that would make it easier to attract NPCs to give you missions or work for you.

In the latter case, obviously you'd have some pesky starship captain with a fedora and a bullwhip coming after you, trying to take them from you and claiming they "belong in a museum". :geek:
+10 exactly my view point. but if i see some nutjob npc even mention the word museum im nuking him to the stone age XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now