Return to “Suggestions”

Systems

One of the things I really would love to see that I saw in eve (during my short stay since i'm not made of money) is the way star systems work. Multiple locations in a given system, connected using a warp drive. would this be a possible feature in LT? It makes for a more complete experience than just "hopping" from gate to gate when you have to warp a little, also it really looks cool and supplies temporary locations to warp to for procedural missions, generate new locations for missions and then just give the player a node to target so the warping can begin.

I don't know what to do with the "boundary" of the areas but I suspect a possibility is to make a separate area for the player when he/she leaves and make it follow the player (move the area through space not the ship through the area, ship always in the middle. This way you can have "spheres" of the world and theoretically fly in between them in real time (hours you will never get back) mainly so there is no actual border and so you can abort a warp and start a new one.

I don't know if you intend to make warpgates in between planets and asteroids, but I hope that the gates are for stars and there could be more locations in one system (eve ish).
thx for reading and sorry for my english :P
Re: systems

Space within a system will be continuous and flying between points of interest with just your ship engine will be feasible. The main mode of transportation between points of interest in a system will be trade lanes/acceleration gates/interplanetary highways, basically static warp routes that you can enter/leave at will, and possibly sabotage.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

estheticaly i would rather like warp nodes + the ability to just fly there, the acceleration gates clutter the space up and deminishes the feeling of open space, gameplay wise the warp nodes should work really similarly, even easier with the free roaming systems, you just choose a node and you move to the nearest warp position and *WOOSH* you are on your way.
another thing eve does better than freelancer is size, at least the feeling of it, much due to the way you travel.

please do not do highways with the rows of gates like freelancer, at the very least make the gate be the way you start the warp, no stuff on the way.
i thing theese 'small' details can provide the wanted feel, especially if the sound efect is a deep rumbeling base while you warp/jump/WOOSH

EVE and LT are two completely different creatures, with vastly different gameplay styles and goals. Warping works for EVE because nothing along the way matters. LT is substantially focused on exploration. As the saying goes, getting there is half the fun. Being able to drop in and out of trade lanes to investigate asteroids, other ships, planets, etc., is part of what makes LT so exciting to me.
I am 42.

i am just saying that i preferr the eve way of travel compared to FL, more "spacy".
LT has the potential to do space really good and should take advantage of its position when it comes to area size due to the generating of areas in stead of designing them.
my english sucks if you havent realized yet.

see duglas adams "space is big"

extra thought:

a warp node way of traveling(that would still require you to travel in a weblike way) could alow for placement of custom warpnodes and warping of an entire fleet to a single place. which of cource makes for awesome scenic fleet drops when the battle is raging, auxillary forces that can be warped to the part of the battle you need them, fighter squadrons sneaking past destroyers to place warp nodes and natural missions for a player during a large battle.

loooong sentance there.

I agree with ravener96 in that acceleration gates/trade lanes should not contain a large number of rings across the whole distance of the trade lanes but you still need to know when you are getting close to said lane and I would propose a number of light beams that form around the perimeter of the trade lanes. The light would only be visible if you come within a certain range of the trade lanes (and fade when you look parallel to the trade lanes) and could perhaps change color letting you know when you are within range to merge into the trade lanes.

Did that make sense...?

ravener96 wrote:estheticaly i would rather like warp nodes + the ability to just fly there, the acceleration gates clutter the space up and deminishes the feeling of open space, gameplay wise the warp nodes should work really similarly, even easier with the free roaming systems, you just choose a node and you move to the nearest warp position and *WOOSH* you are on your way.
another thing eve does better than freelancer is size, at least the feeling of it, much due to the way you travel.

please do not do highways with the rows of gates like freelancer, at the very least make the gate be the way you start the warp, no stuff on the way.
i thing theese 'small' details can provide the wanted feel, especially if the sound efect is a deep rumbeling base while you warp/jump/WOOSH
He's already said you are allowed to do that, the lanes are just a bit faster and more accurate.

What I think would be a great way to travel is take the warp from EvE but make it so you can drop out of warp at any point along the way, or even set warp to any location in the system. Unlike eve where you can only go to current locations known/scanned.

Also I don't know if an answer has been given on this but I think it would be great if stellar bodies orbited the star (unlike EvE were they are static), it would make systems that much more real.

I haven't seen much on the forum about how you find new systems, and but I think as you get beyond the settled systems that you should be able to some how find new untouched systems. Like jump into a specialty ship and fling it to a new star system, and then make a stargate, or something to connect back to your base (maybe that wormhole thing.)

Man I have so many crazy ideas that you could do lol.

Opiboble wrote:What I think would be a great way to travel is take the warp from EvE but make it so you can drop out of warp at any point along the way, or even set warp to any location in the system. Unlike eve where you can only go to current locations known/scanned.

Also I don't know if an answer has been given on this but I think it would be great if stellar bodies orbited the star (unlike EvE were they are static), it would make systems that much more real.

I haven't seen much on the forum about how you find new systems, and but I think as you get beyond the settled systems that you should be able to some how find new untouched systems. Like jump into a specialty ship and fling it to a new star system, and then make a stargate, or something to connect back to your base (maybe that wormhole thing.)

Man I have so many crazy ideas that you could do lol.
Planets will be static, there will be jump gates between known systems and internal jump engines for large ships. Your best bet for finding empty systems would be finding wormholes, they might just lead you to a different part of the system you are in if you're unlucky though.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Online Now