Return to “Suggestions”

Infinite Space and Travel

This may be addressed somewhere, but I didn't see it in a brief perusal of info about the game.

How is travel between star systems going to be implemented? Hyperspace? Jump point? Stargate? Something else? I am just wondering because with infinite space, the travel between systems will be a key element. Also, maybe this is getting WAY ahead, but with infinite space, will there be the possibility of travelling between galaxies? :P

Given that even small galaxies typically have upwards of 50,000 stars that is probably not necessary, but just wondering.
Re: Infinite Space and Travel

Josh said in this topic:
Travel is system-based. In other words, you travel freely within a system, but have to find a jump gate/wormhole to get to another system. The best analogy I can provide is Freelancer!
And on the comments thread on KS:
@WM - The structure will be star clusters. Stars will be clustered into "regions" (clusters). This is one of the areas in which the game is not realistic, but I think it will make for better gameplay to have this structure.
Hope that helps. :)

Thanks for the clarification, Atarun!!! Looking forward to your game.

Wait...hold on a minute...I thought I was the developer...dang, if that's the case, why is Atarun beating me to answering all the questions!?

Hmm. I am confused. And you are on top of your game. :ugeek:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Atarun!!! Looking forward to your game.

Wait...hold on a minute...I thought I was the developer...dang, if that's the case, why is Atarun beating me to answering all the questions!?

Hmm. I am confused. And you are on top of your game. :ugeek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Josh! I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but that made my day ten times over! :mrgreen:

Atarun wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks, Josh! I've got a lot of work ahead of me, but that made my day ten times over! :mrgreen:
Good, glad I can help! And, I mean, realistically...we have to look at the data...you have 49 posts on this forum, I have 40... o.o

Good luck with your work!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:Good, glad I can help! And, I mean, realistically...we have to look at the data...you have 49 posts on this forum, I have 40... o.o
Biggest posters are often not the forum creators/administrators.
Don't worry though, in all likelihood life will catch up with me and I'll stop flooding the forum and annoying the hell out of everyone with quotes. ;)
Good luck with your work!
Thanks! I'll do my best! 8-)

Necro, but I thought it'd be better to post in existing thread rather than start another one just for this (please correct me if wrong!)

Is there any possibility to modify the structure of the star clusters that are formed? For example, if I wanted to fly around in a galaxy that resembled the Milky Way, would I be able to do that?

Now that's something I have not thought about. Changing the galaxy structure so the star map will look a certain way. Then again it is only visual changes; how we fly from one star system to the next is still the same: through inter-system gates. IIRC the game is created such that we could continue to fly forever (towards a star) but not reach the next star system even if we wanted to.
In Josh we trust.

Scytale wrote:Is there any possibility to modify the structure of the star clusters that are formed? For example, if I wanted to fly around in a galaxy that resembled the Milky Way, would I be able to do that?
That is definitely something that would have to be done at game start, when the universe is created.

So far, we know two things about universe creation:
  1. Each universe will be extracted procedurally from a single seed value.
  2. There will be some buttons and sliders allowing you a certain amount of control over the outcome.
The first point clearly speaks against a possibility to modify the overall structure of the universe. The second point leaves a small loophole open, but at this point it's anybody's guess just how much you'll be able to modify the outcome of the procedural generation. Is it just graphical variations (like how much dust will be present), or will it be the fundamental details like the shape of the universe as well?

So the short answer is that nobody knows at this point, I guess.

Indeed! This is on my wishlist for LT2 (yeah, got that already)

I think it could be awesome if LT2 consisted of one huge 3D room with billions of stars waiting to be explored... You could travel these stars not unlike the US Enterprise. :D Visit new worlds, create trade agreements, organise a community of planets or wage war against them. :D
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Katorone wrote: You could travel these stars not unlike the US Enterprise. :D Visit new worlds, create trade agreements, organise a community of planets or wage war against them. :D
Don't you mean you could "explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, boldly go where no man has gone before." ? :ugeek:

Ixos wrote:
Katorone wrote: You could travel these stars not unlike the US Enterprise. :D Visit new worlds, create trade agreements, organise a community of planets or wage war against them. :D
Don't you mean you could "explore strange new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, boldly go where no man has gone before." ? :ugeek:
I think he means "Eliminate any possible threat during their infancy so as not to become a threat to me if I let them live to get big enough to oppose me".
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now