Return to “Suggestions”

Dont Make Being a Newbie Too Hard

If anyone played the X series, they would know how horrifyingly balanced everything is. Its too balanced. There is no way to get money to start without slogging through progressively harder and better paying missions, which increase your wealth by 5-10% each time. It takes forever to get a good ship or enough expensive cargo to make good profits.

I hope LT doesnt suffer from this, because I cant stand starting a new X game for that very reason. I enjoy actually using the power I acquired, not shipping dirt from station to station for pennies. What do you guys think?
Re: Dont Make Being a Newbie Too Hard

with the way the games set up you could easily find yourself captain of a trade capital ship in a few days of play.
while flying your ' my first scout' class ship you might stumble upon a derilict ship that only needs a jumpstart to get running again and you just skiped a few hours right there.
of you might join up on onwe of the planets military factions and work up to being a fleet admiral...

the possibilities would make even starting fresh an undaunting task id think.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

I wonder how ship upgrades work if you're going to use a custom model, because I'd think we'd be able to add pieces to it after certain amounts of money or resources are acquired.

But I suppose you could just buy NPC ships if you're looking to get a fancy capital ship to fly about. As for earning that money, it would appear that missions, mining, and trading (and maybe piracy) are all equitable in terms of their income. So really, the rate at which you accrue resources is probably just based on the risks that you take, or how profitable the item is that you're selling.

Naturally, though, it can't be too easy. You should have to invest some amount of time before you can fly a capital ship, because otherwise you'd just get bored with the game.
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote:Naturally, though, it can't be too easy. You should have to invest some amount of time before you can fly a capital ship, because otherwise you'd just get bored with the game.
at some point it was sugested that you qualify for a lisence that would alow you to piolot ships. like in real life just about anyone can drive a car but to do so legaly you need a lisence. and just because your able to drive a car dosent mean your instantly able to drive an 18 wheeler (or an aircraf carrier). i think that in itself (along with the pricetag/upkeep/ect) would be eonough of a stepingstone to make earning your ships well worth your time.

for instance you did find a derelict dreadnaught warship in space and found someone to tow it back to station for you and you 'owned' it due to salvage rights your options would be to sell it or pay for it to be dry docked till you could fix it up and pilot it yourself (i say yourself but for a warship id think crew or an advanced ship ai would be mandatory)
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Are you talking about a license to fly a big capitol ship legally with steps like a real license?
1 basic license for the starting ship
2 T1
3 T2
4 capitol/carrier
(based off of tiers of ships)
But if you wanted to be a pirate would you still have to have a license?
Or would you only need one if you like got pulled over and the "police" asked for your license and registration?

A..."license"? How quaint.

Seriously, this make absolutely no sense at all. This isn't a MMO, where you are interested in keeping the p(l)ayer around for months on end. What would you key the license to? Money? If I can afford a cap ship, it's highly likely that I can pay for the license as well. Time? Thanks but no thanks, we pay no monthly fee, no need to torture the players with the waiting game. Flight school? Now that would be a novel idea, but it's doubtful that this could be implemented in a meaningful way.

And for the legality part....
"Hey you! The one in the dreadnought! Pull over and let me see the license for that graviton hellbore of yours!"
"Geez, officer, I guess I left it in my other flagship..."
"Whoa, buddy! That'll be one hefty fine! Open your docking bay so I can land and write you a ticket..."
Silly, isn't it?

Again, I suggest we go with KISS. If you have the goods, you can use it, and maybe realize that driving an excruciating slow and unwieldy thing the size of a small asteroid isn't quite your cup of tea.
And while we're at that, I suggest we also find a way of keeping the smaller ships attractive for the player beyond the price tag.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:A..."license"? How quaint.
Ha ha. As soon as I saw your profile picture I could tell you'd be against it. I completely agree though. KISS is the way to go.

That being said, I wouldn't mind a system where shipyards will only sell you certain ships if your reputation is high enough with their faction or star system.

Eg. Don't expect a system you've been pirating to sell you a cruiser. Even, don't expect them to sell you a warship if you have a very poor relationship.

Oh, but they don't need to. If boarding isn't an option, then at the very least privateering is - just find a faction that hates the guts of your designated victims (and make sure they actually sell the good stuff in the first place) and work with them. Since you're pestering their sworn blood enemies (or whatever), they're far more likely to sell you the stuff you want.
Just like back in Pirates!, really. ;)
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

lawlor wrote:That being said, I wouldn't mind a system where shipyards will only sell you certain ships if your reputation is high enough with their faction or star system.

Eg. Don't expect a system you've been pirating to sell you a cruiser. Even, don't expect them to sell you a warship if you have a very poor relationship.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much a given, factional relations will definitely need to influence your purchasing ability, especially with respect to "dangerous" assets.

Now, as for licenses...just no, sorry :P

And yes, I do not at all intend to make "being a newbie" hard in LT (unless you set the difficulty to hard). That's not to say that you'll be Admiral of the Universe in a few days, but you'll certainly be able to find fun/profitable stuff to do! Yes, I remember how hard starting a new game in the X universe was, and I don't want LT to be like that! ;)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Honestly, a selectable tutorial from the main menu, or a skippable one is all that is needed, IMO. We don't need anything complex, just something that gives you a quick rundown of what's going on and how to survive is all.

But as for licenses? I couldn't help but think of this;
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Thinking about tutorials I realised this:

I think in X3:reunion you could enter a game mode that pitted you against waves of enemy fighters of increasing difficulty. If you add access to the ship designer and some unlocks you get a great mini game that teaches people how to handle different ships & weapons. Perhaps a gamemode not very different from what the prototype is now.

I don't like tutorials a lot. I enjoy games that don't hold your hand the entire time. Just make the player realise some things are possible by playing the game. A great example for this is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... FpigqfcvlM

Of course there's a lot more to learn about LT than dogfighting alone. The player already knows it's a sandbox game. Perhaps they can learn about the more complex parts of LT by doing missions. For instance, someone asks for a map of resources of a certain sector, the player also gets a link to their personal encyclopaedia where they can read about how to do it.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

For me, it really depends. I think a tutorial is needed for complex systems (Sim City-esque games for example).

I think Freespace did a good job weaving in the tutorials into the game. There were about 5-6 of them interweaved throughout the gameplay as pilot training that can be skipped.

Granted, LT is open and not more militaristic, so I don't know how well that could work.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

I think the basic missions people can undertake will expose them to gradually more and more complex gameplay situations.

As long as there isn't any real hand holding going on, I'm fine with it. Granted, getting to know X3 was tough, but that's largely because any real tutorial is absent from it. But its depth makes me discover new things every time I play it... After 2000 hours of X3:* I'm still not fed up with it and enjoy it a lot. My enjoyment of the game would be far less if every time I did something I had to watch a video or a description of what I need to do.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Online Now