Return to “Suggestions”

Carriers

I'm not sure if this will really matter as it's unclear if the $200,000 stretch goal will be reached , but I was wondering how the carriers would work. Is it just that if you were a big ship you could send out smaller ones and have them dock with you for repairs and if you were a small ship you could do the converse? I think it would be really cool if you could pilot a large carrier ship but also send out a smaller one which you would then control, leaving the larger one to be controlled by the AI (and your broad commands) and then when you were done redock with the larger ship and control it again.
Re: Carriers

chrisr wrote:I'm not sure if this will really matter as it's unclear if the $200,000 stretch goal will be reached , but I was wondering how the carriers would work. Is it just that if you were a big ship you could send out smaller ones and have them dock with you for repairs and if you were a small ship you could do the converse? I think it would be really cool if you could pilot a large carrier ship but also send out a smaller one which you would then control, leaving the larger one to be controlled by the AI (and your broad commands) and then when you were done redock with the larger ship and control it again.
Yes to all of the above :) Have smaller ships dock with you, own smaller ships and fly them out when you like (for example, if you're too big to dock with a certain entity, switch to a smaller ship and fly on out). Of course, all of this is very early to be talking about since it's very much unclear if $200K will be reached, as you said, and even more unclear what will already be in place by the time I get around to doing the post-release updates.

Nonetheless, I have big plans for this feature, and am personally very excited about it. Particularly about the idea of being able to switch out ships to suit your mood :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote: Nonetheless, I have big plans for this feature, and am personally very excited about it. Particularly about the idea of being able to switch out ships to suit your mood :)
Switching ships according to need/mood would be one of the most important things imo. I like (for some reason) to amass collections of ships and store them all at one location and then just fly whatever I fancy. (Yes played X3 lately :p)

Can we do this or something similar in the game anyhow, regardless of goal? Because I don't see that being a part of carriers per se. I kind of take your comment to mean that you can actually take those ships with you when carriers are implemented.

My favorite part about being able to freely change between ships would be the fact that I could have a carrier, and fly it most of the time (I love controlling big ships), but when I want to engage in battle without risking my favorite carrier I could simply hop onto a smaller ship and lead the rest of my fleet into battle while the carrier waits in the sidelines!

You'll already be able to own as many ships as you want and change between them, but you'll have to store them at a planet or space station and then transfer to them if you want to swap ships (somewhat like X, except you can't eject and try doing it manually in space). So yes, you can still fulfill that fancy!

The thing that excites me about the carrier is being able to bring my ship collection with me, on the run, so that I can swap out whenever I want without having to find a station or planet (especially if I'm out exploring in a desolate region, for example) :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Well if worst comes to worst, you could always implement a feature that would let you click on a ship in the tactical menu and select "controll ship" and youd assume controll of that ship.
Or better yet, if a ship is within 10 meters of your active ship you could "transfer" to that ship (for believability).

But carriers would be awesome nontheless.

JoshParnell wrote:You'll already be able to own as many ships as you want and change between them, but you'll have to store them at a planet or space station and then transfer to them if you want to swap ships (somewhat like X, except you can't eject and try doing it manually in space). So yes, you can still fulfill that fancy!
Switching between ships in space would be possible without opening the can of worms that full-blown EVA is.

You shoot a grappling hook to your other ship and *whirrrrrr* move over.
No manually controlled EVA, no need for a magic teleporter that creates a boatload of balancing issues.
If the target ship is destroyed during your transition, you zip back to the previous one. If both are destroyed, you're toast.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

When it comes to multiple ships, I always liked the way the old Battletech pods did it. You weren't technically 'in' the mech, but in a pod that had an uplink to the mech. That way, if your mech was destroyed, you would just uplink to a different mech.

By doing it this way, imagine that your physical self is somewhere else entirely and can uplink to different ships, one at a time. Of course, then this could introduce some interesting gameplay as well when it comes to EMP/Disables.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

JoshParnell wrote: The thing that excites me about the carrier is being able to bring my ship collection with me, on the run, so that I can swap out whenever I want without having to find a station or planet (especially if I'm out exploring in a desolate region, for example) :)
Yes that is actually what I was thinking about. I don't want to have to go to a station or planet to jump into another ship if I have a carrier with me. It would make no sense to have to do that. It would be great to have like 5 or 6 frigates in my docking bay on my carrier, and then I take control of the carrier and fly it to a new system. Then, when the enemy is spotted, I transfer to one of the frigates and launch all ships! I order the carrier to stay put and the other ships to follow me, then we go in for the kill! Man that would be fun.

I think carriers with their docking bays should serve that function. Any docking bay should be a place where you can transfer to a new ship.

The idea that has been suggested where you can transfer anywhere in space so long as you are close enough is interesting too... I'm not sure what my opinion on that one is.

Yeah. It would definatly be awesome with a docking-bay or hangar-bay. And the ability to switch from a capitol/carrier sized ship into
a frigate or a fighter is to me very apealing as a battle between two or more capitol-sized-ships can get very booring after a while.
But fighting in a small fighter in the vesinity of two big ships would be purly awesome.

Just imagine fighting of fighters or drones whilst trying to dodge huge plasma bursts and missiles that the two carriers would use to shoot at each other.
And then when their fighters are all finished and the enemy carrier tries to flee, you'd transfer back into your carrier
and use it to pursuit the enemy and aim all thoose big guns at their thrusters. =)

I like this gameplay so much that I'd be really sad if it where no way of changing ships mid battle. The dynamic it adds is just so awesome.

The Battletech uplink Idea sounds cool. It could also add a nice complexity to death/perma-death, and you'd also have to protect the ship that
houses your "uplink-pod" extra much, as if that ship gets destroyd you'd die for real.

To transfer to a ship that's really close to your current ship would maybe not be as fun as having a hangar-bay. But It's better than nothing...

rickisen wrote:Yeah. It would definatly be awesome with a docking-bay or hangar-bay. And the ability to switch from a capitol/carrier sized ship into
a frigate or a fighter is to me very apealing as a battle between two or more capitol-sized-ships can get very booring after a while.
But fighting in a small fighter in the vesinity of two big ships would be purly awesome.

Just imagine fighting of fighters or drones whilst trying to dodge huge plasma bursts and missiles that the two carriers would use to shoot at each other.
And then when their fighters are all finished and the enemy carrier tries to flee, you'd transfer back into your carrier
and use it to pursuit the enemy and aim all thoose big guns at their thrusters. =)

I like this gameplay so much that I'd be really sad if it where no way of changing ships mid battle. The dynamic it adds is just so awesome.

The Battletech uplink Idea sounds cool. It could also add a nice complexity to death/perma-death, and you'd also have to protect the ship that
houses your "uplink-pod" extra much, as if that ship gets destroyd you'd die for real.

To transfer to a ship that's really close to your current ship would maybe not be as fun as having a hangar-bay. But It's better than nothing...
kinda reminds me of starwars battle front 2 that your describing here. you could man the capital ships turrets or jump into a fighter . space battles like that made he game fun for me XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:kinda reminds me of starwars battle front 2 that your describing here. you could man the capital ships turrets or jump into a fighter . space battles like that made he game fun for me XD.
Brings up an interesting suggestion that I haven't seen raised before, but might have been, it would be rather fun to be able to man an individual turret on a capital ship, trying to take out fighters coming in to attack.

JoshParnell wrote:You'll already be able to own as many ships as you want and change between them, but you'll have to store them at a planet or space station and then transfer to them if you want to swap ships (somewhat like X, except you can't eject and try doing it manually in space). So yes, you can still fulfill that fancy!

The thing that excites me about the carrier is being able to bring my ship collection with me, on the run, so that I can swap out whenever I want without having to find a station or planet (especially if I'm out exploring in a desolate region, for example) :)
Thanks for making that perfectly clear, sweet :)

Im looking forward to having my homeworld Esq styled carrier that i can bring raw resources to and produce/repair my own ships (or others i encounter) and even turn it into a kind of moving planet...guess im actualy imagining something more like a Generations colony ship. independent of others and self sustaining with hundreds of ships with it as the core.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now