Return to “Suggestions”

Free riders

I was wondering if we might see some random mercs or other people helping out in battles or following an army? They can just be random people with armed ships who saw the army flying by and were like "they are obviously going to win, I want to help!" Or people who see battles raging and decide to go help out on one side or the other. They aren't affiliated with anyone they just join and leave a more unprofessional army as they wish without joining the faction.
Re: Free riders

this could be a potentially cool feature (and doable with the ai as is). considering the players able to be a merc for hire why not let there be roving bands of the professional soldiers out for hire. though ill be eating these words when a couple of these groups jumps into a fight im in on the other side i just know it. XS.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Other than people being around to help out in the battle, e.g. mercenaries, there is also the possibility of "camp followers". Assuming there is some service that external parties could offer for the warring parties then it would be logical that they would be there to do it.

A concrete example of this could be if you could have some sort of larger craft that other fighting parties could dock in that could then be used to repair the fighters (for a fee of course).

Also if there were any consumables that the armies were using this would also be a situation for commercial "camp followers".

ah good point Bryce i hadent even considered that. with a large mining and prosessing ship it WOULD make since that smaller ships might come looking for me (if i were closer than say the nearest repair dock) for such services. (or pirates might come for repairs on less than legal ships...) ah so many possibilities.

this brings to mind a kind of space gypsies traveling known (and unknown) space with mining ships cargo carriers with exotic good and small but powerful warship guardians and what not. and thins like colony ships setting out for the new frontiers of unpopulated space...wow this is a rather involved game with its dynamic ai interactions.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

This is one of those things that seems simple in theory, yet would add quite a bit to the 'realism' of the universe. Maybe there is a way to procedurally generate some of the AI functions so that you might pick up some traveling gypsies as well because they trade with you a lot and decided to follow your caravan.

Of course, then this could easily expand to gaining 'followers' that just happened to decide to follow you because they trade with you or your caravan and if you provide valuable enough goods/services might want to help protect you in the event of a pirate attack. A small army without ever recruiting that just decide to follow you... Almost like a cult. :D
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

The Hedge Knight wrote:I don't mean asking some one to help you out, I mean people naturally just tagging along with armies or coming to the winners aid for reward and such.
So are you more talking about a AI controlled "faction, clan or just a group of peeps" that are just cruising the universe to see if theres anything that they could do really quick to earn some easy money?

Demetrius wrote:
The Hedge Knight wrote:I don't mean asking some one to help you out, I mean people naturally just tagging along with armies or coming to the winners aid for reward and such.
So are you more talking about a AI controlled "faction, clan or just a group of peeps" that are just cruising the universe to see if theres anything that they could do really quick to earn some easy money?
Not exactly.

If you are flying around, and see the massive space empire curb stomping a fleet of alliance ships, wouldn't you consider helping them so they can go "thanks here's a few bucks" or "thanks have some of their scrap" or just for a slight relationship boost with them? Other adventurers and such should think the same "hey maybe if I go help that guy annihilate those others he can reward me."

Ok thanks that helps, then yes i would probably go help one of the sides, and see what reward i get. But having npc ships flying around that are just neutral that decide which side to join if you are waging a space war with other planets would be interesting. when you see more ships arive you wouldn't know who they would be joining.

Online Now