Return to “Suggestions”

Banking/Insurance

I think it would be fun to have a banking/insurance type set up. So you could set yourself to lend out x amount of money at y interest rate. Or another way to do it would be to have insurance, they pay you x amount for an object (eg a cargo ship) and if something happens (pirates etc) you can pay out on their claim.
Re: Banking/Insurance

its a pain to deal with in real life and i cant see it being better in space. that being said i dont think it would be as useful unless you planned to be in a specific area for any length of time (IE you signed a contract to work for a mining company to transport cargo for 2 weeks). out side something like that realistically you buy a insurance ticket get blown up/raided send in your claim whenever you get back to starbase and wait 2-3 weeks whil;e they investigate refile your claim in 4 weeks when they tell you they dont have your claim logged inthe computers wait another 3 weeks while they 'look into it' and then shoot yourself in the foot when they tell you you waited to long to file your policy and tell you you have to make the claim as soon as it happens and to not waste there time by filing so long after the even happened...

or you could do what i plan on and just reload a save...
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

i was thinking more like the save system on elder scrolls where you have auto saves that trigger at specific times and a maual save and then a quick save. something dosent turn out quite how you like it then reload the quick save you made. something turns out REAL bad reload that auto save right before the warp jump you made.

as far as the minecraft style of saving is concerned it definitely wont be handled that way because in the form josh said thered be perma death and that youd have to reload a previous save. minecraft keeps 1 save file and respawns you at homepoint upon death.

though i belive at some point he might have mentioned some kind of coning system that would allow you to 'shift' into another you when you died... but i cant be sure. (though i think an army of me flying ships would be fantastic XD. )
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:(though i think an army of me flying ships would be fantastic XD. )
This little filk song is to be sung to the tune of Home on the Range. And the best part? The lyrics were largely written by Isaac Asimov. :mrgreen:

Oh, give me a clone
Of my own flesh and bone
With its Y-chromosome changed to X
And when it is grown
Then my own little clone
Will be of the opposite sex.

(Chorus)
Clone, clone of my own,
With your Y-Chromosome changed to X
And when I’m alone
With my own little clone
We will both think of nothing but sex.

Oh, give me a clone
Is my sorrowful moan
A clone that is wholly my own.
And if she’s an X
Of the feminine sex
Oh, what fun we will have when we’re prone.

My heart’s not of stone,
As I’ve frequently shown
When alone with my own little X
And after we’ve dined
I am sure we will find
Better incest than Oedipus Rex.

Why should such sex vex
Or disturb or perplex
Or induce a disparaging tone.
After all, don’t you see
Since we’re both of us me
When we’re having sex, I’m alone.

And after I’m done
She will still have her fun
For I’ll clone myself twice ere I die.
And this time without fail,
They’ll be both of them male
And they’ll ravage her by and by.

And now that we've all had a good laugh:
Insurance is a mechanic usually used by persistent games, like MMOs, where the player can't simply reload, but permadeath and complete loss of everything might be a bit tough (after all, you don't slaughter the cow you want to milk...). The way LT is set up, a simple save/load function should suffice and be far more resistant to abuse or get rich quick exploits.

As for the banking and the loans, mh, the question is how you want to implement the consequences. Besides the fact that people who lend you money in exchange for juicing you like an orange in the long run tend to be unwholesome in general, the question is what exactly will happen when you don't pay. If the only consequence to pimping out your ship is a bit of extra combat every once in a while, then I'm against it.
X3: Albion Preludes Stock Exchange was the single worst thing that could happen to the game's economy, for example. You could simply pull a couple of dozen millions out of thin air from the cozy comfort of your cockpit, with nothing more than a pittance of money to start with - no ship, skill, equipment or exploring required. This rendered economy side of the game rather optional. No stuff was made, sold or consumed, the money appeared literally out of thin air.
As far as the in-game economy goes, I'd even to so far as to remove interest rates and other such crud - money for nothing is akin to cheating and promotes odd behaviour unbecoming for the captain of a spaceship. I'd rather see people grind an asteroid belt into ingots and sell those than seeing people "play the stock market". You don't need to program a fancy space combat/trading game around that stuff, a mere excel sheet will usually do. Let's make people work a bit for their money.

TL;DR - toss insurance salesmen out of the nearest airlock and shoot bankers and loan sharks on sight. I can't see them add anything but trouble and cheap target practice.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

Hardenberg wrote:TL;DR - toss insurance salesmen out of the nearest airlock and shoot bankers and loan sharks on sight. I can't see them add anything but trouble and cheap target practice.
+1

Grumblesaur wrote:Permadeath could be a difficulty option.
I dont see how. if you die your dead and the only way i see to not be dead once you die would be the clone thing suggested. (granted its a form of 'insurance' i guess. )

but from the geat man himself
JoshParnell wrote:It's single player, so death is just classic death, unless perhaps I implement cloning. Reload a savegame (or start over, if you were playing in hardcore mode)!

I think he means permadeath like an "Iron Man" mode. Basically works like this:

You can save your game, but this will make you quit and close the program as well.
Upon loading, your savegame will be deleted.
Once you're dead, you're dead. No second chances.

That type of mechanism is used by a lot of roguelikes, and also by the more recent indie game FTL: Faster Than Light (which is one helluva fun game, btw).

As for the "not dying", I assume that implementing an escape pod mechanism shouldn't be that difficult, and would at least allow you to continue as long as you have other ships or at least enough money to buy a new one.
Hardenberg was my name
And Terra was my nation
Deep space is my dwelling place
The stars my destination

if the question of iron man style of play is in question then at the least it would be religated to being a dificulty option upon first creating your universe (or changeable in game )

It is optional. Savegames will work like Elder Scrolls in normal mode. You can quicksave, there will be autosaves, etc. In "hardcore" mode, your save gets deleted when you die :( This is the meaning of perma-death! And maybe I will implement some trickery so that it knows if you try to copy/paste a savegame that was made with hardcore mode. Bahahah. Evil Josh.

Banking/Insurance sounds cool, I'm all for increasing economic depth in whatever ways possible. If someone can provide me with a robust cloning technology, I'll clone myself and Josh #2 can work on this. Otherwise, consider it yet another cool feature floating around in my mind that may come to fruition someday :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote: And maybe I will implement some trickery so that it knows if you try to copy/paste a savegame that was made with hardcore mode. Bahahah. Evil Josh.
For an offline game this is a tall order.
Even if you hide this info in different files, the user could backup the entire game and catch them all.

Besides, what's the point? Do you intend to cheat-proof the game? That's a noble ideal but an unwinnable battle.
Even in GalCiv 2 I was able to play "rated" games with near infinite resources if I chose to or build one dreadnaught on every dinky outpost in one turn. Rules are for those who intend to follow them. =)
This game even had an online component and savegame logging / verification! (the scoring stuff) Those guys spent a lot of time and effort on cheat detection / prevention but eventually, someone will find a more creative solution.

And unless you can guarantee that savegame corruption on the user side (for whatever reason) will never happen, any faschist iron man mode will only end up with grumpy players.
The "iron man" savegames in XCOM would occasionally get corrupted, too, and that's a rather short game. In a sandbox game this would be bad.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

It was really more of a joke induced by an absurd run of consecutive hours coding ;)

Of course, I wouldn't waste my time trying to prevent something that isn't even a bad thing! And you're right, you could always back up the entire game folder and then...guess I'd be out of luck.

Or would I?

:twisted:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

In hardcore mode losing a ship wouldn't necessarily mean losing your life as you could try to escape in a capsule or fighter (if you're in a carrier). I imagine then that the real difficulty of hardcore mode would be more you inability to reload a previous save to get your precious ship back, not necessarily a fear of death itself. Now, if there were insurance brokers you could have potentially insured your ship reducing the hit you'd take when losing it. For that reason I don't agree with insurance (at least not on warships) as losing your ship in battle wouldn't hurt you as much, giving you less reason to be strategic and choose the battles you fight. Civilian ships are another matter entirely though as they don't go out actively seeking a fight, it just happens upon them at their misfortune.

Online Now