Return to “Suggestions”

Visible Damage

I dont know if this is already in the game, but I think it would be awesome if your weapons ripped chunks out of enemy ships as they hit. So if you aimed for the engines with plasma weapons, there would be round melt hole damage, and solid slug weapons would cause chips and scrapes or puncture holes. Thoughts?
Re: Visible Damage

IIRC, subsystems like engines have no specific location on the ship model.

What could be "almost as cool" would be the old Wing Commander system where a "critical" hit on a space ship would cause it to stream random sparks / atmosphere / debris from the hit location for a while.
That can be a completely PG visual effect with an actual information value.
You may not know exactly what was hit - but you know that it had to hurt. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

To clarify: you are interested in knowing if the damage textures on the ship being reflective of the type of weapon used, yes? So different damage patterns would appear for projectiles (relative to the size and type such as explosive or piercing) vs energy weapons.

As for destruction (actual break-up of the ship), Bele beat me to the links on that part. XD
I am 42.

Kayse wrote:To clarify: you are interested in knowing if the damage textures on the ship being reflective of the type of weapon used, yes? So different damage patterns would appear for projectiles (relative to the size and type such as explosive or piercing) vs energy weapons.
I think that is what he is asking for and I like the idea. Don't know how doable this is going to be though...

Gazz wrote:IIRC, subsystems like engines have no specific location on the ship model.

What could be "almost as cool" would be the old Wing Commander system where a "critical" hit on a space ship would cause it to stream random sparks / atmosphere / debris from the hit location for a while.
That can be a completely PG visual effect with an actual information value.
You may not know exactly what was hit - but you know that it had to hurt. =)
Just FYI, engines and weapons and such are all discrete components that are attached to the base model, so they can be fired upon/destroyed individually!

As for actually seeing visible damage, I'm sure there will be something like Gazz said, where a damaged ship starts to throw flames/sparks from random places on the ship. But I don't know if I will do damage textures/damage models...that's definitely a lot harder (well, textures is moderate, damage models is way harder).
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

To be honest I would prefer ship components and parts we use when building them just coming off and having a single "ripped interior" texture for the exposed insides of the ship (+flames and sparks on these areas of course)

That should be both easier to implement and result in much more grand fireworks both during combat and as ships blow up and fall apart!

JoshParnell wrote:As for actually seeing visible damage, I'm sure there will be something like Gazz said, where a damaged ship starts to throw flames/sparks from random places on the ship. But I don't know if I will do damage textures/damage models...that's definitely a lot harder (well, textures is moderate, damage models is way harder).
Damaged models might be easier if they are dynamically 'destroyed'. Kind of like the way destructable terrain works. You blow a chunk out, and the engine figures out how much of it is destroyed. Then, based on percentage (or flat value boolean) on whether or not the component still exists makes whether or not it still functions.

This is more of an idea theory rather than implementation into the game. I'm find with just sparks and such, but I figured I'd throw this out there.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now