Return to “Suggestions”

Immersion and Monitor Support

First off, let me say that Wow! I'm glad I ran across this, and am anxiously awaiting this game. I'll be submitting my pledge tonight once I get home.

That being said, not sure if this belongs in the 'Suggestions' forum or the 'Technical' forum, so I'll post this here.

I'd like to suggest multiple monitor support for a more immersive experience. With multiple monitors among users, gamers, etc, now becoming standard, I would think that adding this support would be a decent 'extra'.

Now, I'm not exactly speaking like Hydravision or nVidia's equivelent, but actual separate window support; i.e. I want radar on a separate monitor or a map of the galaxy on a secondary display so I can see that while flying.

I do a bit of graphics coding myself and know that this isn't impossible, but can be a bit confusing when implementing it at first, so I can understand if it is a daunting task to undertake at first. It may be just be a pipe dream, but I think something like that would be awesome (and the fact I have a couple old small LCDs lying around that I wouldn't mind putting to use).

But speaking of pipe dreams, I've always been a fan of immersive games. BattleTech Firestorm comes to mind when you climbed into a pod that had about 8 different screens to pilot your mech (weapons, radar, etc). Now, if this game supported multiple monitors like that, I'd love nothing more than to be able to build my own cockpit to actually feel like flying around (and getting lost in) the universe. :mrgreen:
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Immersion and Monitor Support

I guess I just would want clarification on something like that then. Spanning a game window over three monitors side by side for more of a view screen is different than being able to set your radar/map/targeting systems to always (and only) show on a separate monitor. Since something like this is a bit more in-depth, I just assumed (and made an @$$ out of myself) that multi-monitor support meant larger view screen only.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Just so we're clear, it will probably be like what you described - the window will span all of the monitors. BUT, the HUD elements and windows that you pull up in game are movable, so you can move them to whichever area of the monitor (or multiple monitors) you like. Hopefully that is good enough? :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Last thing I'll say on this topic since I'm kinda beating a dead horse at this point;

The idea I had was more along the lines of this - http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t40/ ... CN0778.jpg - where the MFDs are driven by a small screen. OpenGL does support this, but when it comes to multiple windows/subwindows, I found it to be a little more complex when implementing different screen resolutions.
JoshParnell wrote:Just so we're clear, it will probably be like what you described - the window will span all of the monitors. BUT, the HUD elements and windows that you pull up in game are movable, so you can move them to whichever area of the monitor (or multiple monitors) you like. Hopefully that is good enough? :)
This works for me!

All that above being said, I'll just have to do something more like this - http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com ... 600-22.jpg

I'm a bit of a hardware hacker and sometimes get carried away. :oops:

Thanks for clarifying and keep up the good work!

Online Now