Return to “Suggestions”

Scarring/Asteroids/Ships, Salvaging Wrecks

Ok so hopefully I am just jumping the gun here, and someone has already mentioned asteroid destruction which can be found here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=163, but what about scarring? Weapon scarring to asteroids, on ships, and that last DEV video brought in "destruction" of a capital ship. Now I know it is early, but can we expect to see "Varied" explosions or the same "Blip blip blip blop blorrp bloom" every single time? Will ships break apart, and thus be salvageable? BTW yes I am a backer I just dont like any of the badges yet :P Keep the badges coming!
Re: Scarring/Asteroids/Ships, Salvaging Wrecks

@Bele - I'd like to do wreckage, but I can't promise it yet :) Realistically, maybe not...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jos ... nt-1828257
I do think ships will be salvageable in some way though.
I don't think there is any weapon scarring planned for release, Josh mentions it not being in the current version of the game in another thread, who knows what will be included in later versions of the game though.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions
More uses for "defeated" ships

now I'm just going to say I'm no good at spelling and be done with it. Now that's out of the way
I was thinking that maybe there could be way to reactivate destroyed ships, like maybe when you salvage them there could be an option to salvage everything but leave the weapon systems and power Supply intact and reprogram the targeting systems to fire at your enemies, think about it you could have just destroyed an enemy fleet but not have the time or supplies to leave any static defenses so you could reprogram their ships to shoot at any thing that comes into distance, but only until thay run out of power and/or ammo for their weapon but not all the weapons would be able to fire as some would have been blown up in the first place and others would put to much of a drain on the diminished power levels of the destroyed ships. This would only be a temporary fix as the ships could not be repaired and would run out of power/ammo
Re: More uses for "defeated" ships

What about implementing repair/scrap yard services for such ships? A crippled ship could be hauled (by tug) to such a yard. If it's economical to repair, then do so. Otherwise have it scrapped and get some cash for it.

This could be taken further by being able to remove certain intact/fixable components and reinstall them in other ships. There might even become a market for spare parts.

{Salvaging threads merged - Gazz}

JabbleWok wrote:What about implementing repair/scrap yard services for such ships? A crippled ship could be hauled (by tug) to such a yard. If it's economical to repair, then do so. Otherwise have it scrapped and get some cash for it.

This could be taken further by being able to remove certain intact/fixable components and reinstall them in other ships. There might even become a market for spare parts.

{Salvaging threads merged - Gazz}
or if you have the parts on your carrier to fix or scrap ships do it in place. granted i doubt you could take a crippled ship from crippled to 100% but i dont see it being to hard to power the basics and get the ship to 80%. now i dont see everyone doing this but i plan on having a mobile possessing plant to refine raw ore into processed metal. with that in mind i cant see the dissimilarity to scraping a ship (a hunk of refined metals already). and even with todays fabrication tech theres no reason i couldent fashion parts on the fly from my store of refined metals and other stores of resources.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:or if you have the parts on your carrier to fix or scrap ships do it in place. granted i doubt you could take a crippled ship from crippled to 100% but i dont see it being to hard to power the basics and get the ship to 80%.
Good idea. Effectively a mobile repair/scrapyard. It could be that repair/scrap is an available function for vessels, and its efficiency varies. Large fixed yards would be the most efficient, say 80%, and mobile ones less so - say 60% for a dedicated repair ship, 40% for a carrier. Maybe you can buy different sizes of repair/scrap modules, and the efficiency depends on size. That way if you build a carrier you can choose how much of it is taken up by the module, with the usual trade off against everything else you might want on board.

Online Now