Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Death Star

Gazz wrote:And if you find it you are guaranteed to die?
That would be a nice relief from the old "find powerful item, acquire it, engage god mode" routine.
While I agree in disliking the god mode, I think that your suggestion is also too extreme in the other direction. A random chance of a guaranteed death, without the possibility of escape once you've arrived there does not for a good game play make. Even if very rare, it would be a constant source of frustration for players, and therefore not a good advertisement for the game.
Last edited by Commander McLane on Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linker190 wrote:What about putting a Death Star in the game as an easter egg :D

Well a DEATH STAR is really just a Dyson sphere or a Dyson swarm so perhaps a superstructure like a Dyson sphere would be better suited. However this is still a ship created from a type 2 civilization based on the Kardashev scale. What would a ship the size of a galaxy look like? Perhaps this falls into the REALLY REALLY HUGE category.

Anyway you can read up more about the Kardshev scale here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

Hi, arcadia -- you might find this thread on Civilizations and Technology Levels to your liking.

Josh has since posted -- Just_Ice or one of our other ultra-moderators may be able to locate the exact post -- that he wasn't thinking of technology in terms of discrete levels, but more as increasing refinements of core technologies. So it's hard for me to see at this time how we might classify civilizations in terms of their technologies.

In theory, since most procedurally generated things are just numbers, there probably isn't any impediment to summing up the number and degree of base techs and tech refinements possessed across a civ, and from that total calculating an overall "technology level."

Honestly, I'm sort of hoping that something like this is implemented to support the "Explorer" kind of game within Limit Theory. If I'm going to be flying around discovering new life and new civilizations, I'd sure like to have lots of different civilizational characteristics to classify. As survey gameplay goes, "found a planet with some people on it" is not optimally engaging. ;)

Also, welcome to the forums!

Flatfingers wrote:Honestly, I'm sort of hoping that something like this is implemented to support the "Explorer" kind of game within Limit Theory. If I'm going to be flying around discovering new life and new civilizations, I'd sure like to have lots of different civilizational characteristics to classify. As survey gameplay goes, "found a planet with some people on it" is not optimally engaging. ;)

Also, welcome to the forums!
Lower-tech civilisations can be exploited for slave labour or eugenic experimentation as well. These kind of things would appeal strongly to the subset of LT's fanbase who have a sociopathic Rational/Explorer (NT) mindset. These kind of people enjoy trapping insects under water and seeing how long they can survive as the water seeps in through their spiracles, preventing the free flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide; and pulling apart their legs one at a time, and seeing how long the limbs can go on wriggling detached from the body. Limit Theory could provide a great opportunity to sublimate these impulses in less immoral ways.

These kind of things would appeal strongly to the subset of LT's fanbase who have a sociopathic Rational/Explorer (NT) mindset. These kind of people enjoy trapping insects under water and seeing how long they can survive as the water seeps in through their spiracles, preventing the free flow of oxygen and carbon dioxide; and pulling apart their legs one at a time, and seeing how long the limbs can go on wriggling detached from the body. Limit Theory could provide a great opportunity to sublimate these impulses in less immoral ways.
:o
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Flatfingers wrote:
ThymineC wrote:the subset of LT's fanbase who have a sociopathic Rational/Explorer (NT) mindset
Should Josh cater to that mindset?

They might be better served by Jason Rohrer's The Castle Doctrine.

Gamasutra interview with Jason Rohrer
Rock Paper Shotgun impressions, pt. 1
Rock Paper Shotgun impressions, pt. 2
This game sounds awesome. :D

I couldn't possibly play as a breeder with a wife and children, though. I'd probably just kill myself (in-game). Still, it does seem like a really awesome idea for a game.

domanite wrote:A Dyson Sphere is far larger than the Death Star. The radius of the Death Star it's about 100km; a Dyson Sphere can be 100,000,000 km or more.
Yes, but you can't think of a dyson sphere as one single object (the stress on something that big around an object with the gravity of a sun would be far to great, it would just shatter to pieces) but as a combination of smaller "panels" that each have an independent orbit around the star, their orbits are however calculated/ calibrated so that hey always stay at the same distance relative to each other
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

I like the idea of huge space stations of death being out there waiting to be found and used, but I also agree that being godlike with them is not gonna be fun for other people. So instead, what if it was something you could take over and declare your property, but a) you'd need to earn it somehow-shooting it up, buying out the current owner, etc.-and b) you'd have to protect it: if you're smart enough and skilled enough to take it over, there's no reason other people couldn't either, including/especially while it's under your command.

Cha0zz wrote:
domanite wrote:A Dyson Sphere is far larger than the Death Star. The radius of the Death Star it's about 100km; a Dyson Sphere can be 100,000,000 km or more.
Yes, but you can't think of a dyson sphere as one single object (the stress on something that big around an object with the gravity of a sun would be far to great, it would just shatter to pieces) but as a combination of smaller "panels" that each have an independent orbit around the star, their orbits are however calculated/ calibrated so that hey always stay at the same distance relative to each other
how do you get a sphere to orbit? wouldn't it always have points were it wasn't moving?
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Online Now