Return to “Suggestions”

Destructible Asteroids - Can we do it?

Hi,
I have followed LT with interest, but there looking at the gameplay preview and some of the DEV photos, i can't seem to figure out if asteroids are destructible? For example, in one of the DEV photos you show a capital ship bombarding an asteroid with a fighter hiding behind it, and say "hiding behind asteroids becomes more necessary...". By this are you referring to the asteroids as indestructible cover, or can more powerful capital ship weapons, missiles, mining beams etc... destroy them?
If not, this would be a feature that i personally would be highly interested in, so thank you beforehand.
-Niko
Re: Destructible Asteroids - Can we do it?

There is a general sense that they will be. For one you will be able to mine them but I think its only assumed that you can mine the entire asteroid until it is gone. Whether there will be real time destruction of the asteroid into pieces while you mine it down(or shoot it) or more of a representation of the entire asteroid until its volume/amount/damage? reaches zero then it explodes or vaporizes I think hasn't been completely hashed out yet. Or at least not revealed.
"The end is always coming, and the beginning will never come back..." --Nutty

What would it be good for?

It's not exactly believeable that an outside force like a [whatever] bullet will explodify a huge chunk of floating rock. There is no anvil to the hammer.
Chipping away at it as in minecrafty digging - much more believeable.
Attaching some sort of mining / extraction facility to it - sure thing.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Honestly, after many years of laser mining asteroids under my belt already, I am completely in favor of having the option of plopping a mining vessel onto an asteroid and let in mine the minerals for me. I propose though, that we could easily have both ways possible. Why would they have to exclude each other?

Mining laser boats could do their thing, but why not allow a player to purchase/craft a mining vessel or device that could then be deployed on the surface of an asteroid? Perhaps some balancing would be necessary so that either lasers or deployable machines of whichever nature could be comparable so that neither was too advantageous as to make the other obsolete.

There are many ways to balance them. Perhaps making the deployable machines operate for a certain time limit and have to be emptied and reset, or make some sort of limit to the number that can be deployed at a time by a player. Boring as it may seem to sit and laser drill an asteroid (I still like it, btw) the same can be said of a player that has collected/built 100's of autominers and just has so much ore its pointless. I don't want to play intergalactic farmville. But then again, I can choose not to use them, after all I am not competing with other players, only the AI of my universe. It would be just as easy to come across NPC deployed mining vessels and collect them for myself or blow them up for target practice.

I think the best way to make everyone happy, again, is to allow the freedom everyone wants while not hindering something really cool that perhaps a smaller minority want. That said, it has to be done in an intelligent way to avoid even accidental exploits that would render certain aspects too powerful and thus no longer fun.
"The end is always coming, and the beginning will never come back..." --Nutty

a small consideration about setting up any kind of mining device on an asteroid is that you cant just pick up and leave if trouble pops in (and if you have my luck it will) mining lazer have the advantage of maneuverability. XD .though i agree that having the option would be best for difrent people.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

@Gazz
Mainly i would like to see this feature in the game, because to me, it just seems a bit off that a capital ship with enormous beam cannons, missiles and pulse weapons cannot break through a little asteroid :D
I do support the idea of the asteroid being chipped, pieces being broken off etc... instead of it just exploding, seems much more fun to whittle down the cover of a cowering fighter :D

Online Now