Return to “Suggestions”

Cities

Here's a suggestion for cities.
(I noticed from your video you simply hover the ship above the ground to "land". Not sure if you were purposely mining or that you dont have cities/stations yet?)

Procedurally generate a transparent sphere from large triangles.
Procedurally generate buildings/cityscape inside the sphere (for cosmetics.. oooh.. look at the pretty city lights as the player flys towards it)
Open one of the triangles. (somewhere near the horizon of the sphere). This will be the port/door that ships (small enough) will fly through to enter the "city".

Now rotate the sphere as required and sink *half* of it into the planet / asteroid / rock / moon / side of a massive ship... anywhere you want.

Players simply need to find the 'door' and fly into it to 'arrive' at that destination.

Backstory is as follows:
Space enviroment is harsh.
Most cities are behind enclosures now to protect the occupants etc etc.
Easyly recognisable from orbit (if the city spheres are large enough)
Re: Cities

Deej wrote:Here's a suggestion for cities.
(I noticed from your video you simply hover the ship above the ground to "land". Not sure if you were purposely mining or that you dont have cities/stations yet?)

Procedurally generate a transparent sphere from large triangles.
Procedurally generate buildings/cityscape inside the sphere (for cosmetics.. oooh.. look at the pretty city lights as the player flys towards it)
Open one of the triangles. (somewhere near the horizon of the sphere). This will be the port/door that ships (small enough) will fly through to enter the "city".

Now rotate the sphere as required and sink *half* of it into the planet / asteroid / rock / moon / side of a massive ship... anywhere you want.

Players simply need to find the 'door' and fly into it to 'arrive' at that destination.

Backstory is as follows:
Space enviroment is harsh.
Most cities are behind enclosures now to protect the occupants etc etc.
Easyly recognisable from orbit (if the city spheres are large enough)
Interesting! I will be doing something like that, although not exactly the same. It's a neat idea, though! Yes, the ship was hovering because planets/landing pads haven't been implemented yet (as you probably could tell, planets are still quite rough). I will be doing procedural cities for the surface, though, no doubts there.
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Hi Josh & Deej
Very first post on here.
I really like the idea of procedural cities. They will add life to the LT universe, plus each will be that bit unique to the others in the game. If you sort out landing in a later release it will be awesome, in the meantime though, hovering "freelancer style" would be fine though.
Last edited by Geraldine on Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geraldine ;)
Smile People, Space Sims Are Coming Back!
Happy Days Are Here Again :D
Keeping The Faith In Josh Since 2012 :)

One thing I would love to see in this game, regarding cities, is city crawl. It's a minor detail, but, assuming the ability to own and control planets is implemented, I'd like to be able to build a planet up for a long time, and one day look up from it and realize the surface of my little world looks like Coruscant.
LT's resident storytelling fighter pilot.

Will there be foot and vehicle traffic in the city? It would ruin the immersion completely of all cities were just rectangular blocks of different lengths sticking out into the sky. There needs to be life.

Khezef wrote:Will there be foot and vehicle traffic in the city? It would ruin the immersion completely of all cities were just rectangular blocks of different lengths sticking out into the sky. There needs to be life.
+1 that, although I understand if the extra work involved pushes it to a future release or update.

hmmm i was actuly hoping to avoid this level of complexity. sure city running might be nice fora time but some days it would be nice to show up to planet 142776 and just trade with the planet as a whole and move on to my next area of interest as opposed to city hopping on the same planet looking for at agelian swamp root i was told is sold somewhere on this planet...
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote:hmmm i was actuly hoping to avoid this level of complexity. sure city running might be nice fora time but some days it would be nice to show up to planet 142776 and just trade with the planet as a whole and move on to my next area of interest as opposed to city hopping on the same planet looking for at agelian swamp root i was told is sold somewhere on this planet...
I don't think anyone is asking for that either, we just want the ability to have development be reflected in amount and size of cities, and the ability to fly around near them with some basic traffic going around.

Imo it's likley this would be added if/when atmospheric landing is added, since that's when being able to fly around and explore cities on a planet would start to make sense.

and i can appreciate that. i just have plans to avoid civilization as much as i can XD. nothing personal against it but id like to see what i can do as a self sufficient as i can get. strip mining ores from asteroids and prossesing them on site to make tools and ship replacement parts. stoping at primitive planets to stock up on cheap suplies and heading as far off into the expanse as i can make my ship go XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now