Return to “Suggestions”

Dynamic ship destruction

How about some dynamic destruction? It is annoying when in games, ships explode and turn into a little explosion and then disappear. What if ships break and fall apart depending on different weapons? Explosions tear the hull into pieces, lasers can split it in half, mass drivers will punch a hole straight through. Crew members and machinery will fly out from the broken rooms as the ships structure collapses on itself.

It could also create an entire new feature of the game as you have to fly and pilot around the remains of destroyed ships, some still firing off weapons till the very end. Other ships could try using them to shield themselves from the fire, maybe there will be ship scrapyards just like asteroid fields, where the remains of ancient ships float around.
Re: Dynamic ship destruction

I really like the idea of dynamic destruction, because it means that capital ships could use internal airlocks to seal off a breached section, and keep fighting (albeit in a weakened state).

This also means that ships could be disabled by destroying their guns (this idea was in freelancer but was quite poorly implemented).

I think the best way of achieving this would be dividing ships by their components and having damage tracked component by component. If the player was to lose a wing, all equipment on it would be rendered useless, creating large problems if the player's thrusters are disabled or blown off and the player needs to be towed, assuming they aren't taken hostage by the faction that disabled their ship, which also gives the player the opportunity to traffick human cargo as slaves or to ransom brokers.
Oh golly

Fresh Tints wrote:I really like the idea of dynamic destruction, because it means that capital ships could use internal airlocks to seal off a breached section, and keep fighting (albeit in a weakened state).

This also means that ships could be disabled by destroying their guns (this idea was in freelancer but was quite poorly implemented).

I think the best way of achieving this would be dividing ships by their components and having damage tracked component by component. If the player was to lose a wing, all equipment on it would be rendered useless, creating large problems if the player's thrusters are disabled or blown off and the player needs to be towed, assuming they aren't taken hostage by the faction that disabled their ship, which also gives the player the opportunity to traffick human cargo as slaves or to ransom brokers.
Destructible subsystems is a confirmed feature.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

josh has stated that individual systems can be targeted. so i think that the discussed is very close to whats going to be done. in the game bridge-commander if you have the patience to do so you can cut ships apart with laser beams (have to disable the ships engines and then use a high focused beam on a low setting but it works cut the wings off a bird of prey) this might alos give the option to willingly seperate parts of youtr ship for combat. like a cargo vessel might detach the freight containers to gain maneuverability and extra power from not having to shield the extra parts of the ship that are no longer there. (though i would have a separate power source and shield generator for that section of my ship if i were to have to do this on a regular basis.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

The Hedge Knight wrote:That's not very exciting though, to just shoot at the gun to disable a gun or engine to disable an engine.

This is besides the point though, I am not trying to argue for destroyable subsystems.

if the sub systems are targetable for destruction i seeno reason you wouldent be able to say focus your fine on a componet (lets say there engen room) and detonate their ship or focus on breaking off a wing with a missle that would cripple that part of the ship (because its nolonge r there)

ive go ta feeling that ships will take quite a beating before surcoming to the levels of damage you describe. (nor do i think we will see npcs being sucked out of a breeched hull) but cutting a ship in half with laser cannon or ripping chunks of a sip apart with warheads sounds feasible to me.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

I have yet to determine whether post-destruction debris will be in or not. There are a few cool tricks that I could play since the models are procedural (and, in particular, composed of discrete pieces)...but I'm not sure how good it will look.

Anyway, you've inspired me, and I think that I need to go prototype ship destruction now, starting with explosions and ending with debris. Hmmm...this should be fun :)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:I have yet to determine whether post-destruction debris will be in or not. There are a few cool tricks that I could play since the models are procedural (and, in particular, composed of discrete pieces)...but I'm not sure how good it will look.

Anyway, you've inspired me, and I think that I need to go prototype ship destruction now, starting with explosions and ending with debris. Hmmm...this should be fun :)
Cool stuff.

I hope you can assign what function each discrete piece of the ship has. This way they can behave differently both when hit and destroyed aswell. Think engines breaking off spinning away on their own for a short while and the remaining engine throwing the ship into an uncontrolled spin as it breaks up.

Hitting an empty cargo hold would not be a problem but hitting a magazine full of missile reloads or a reactor could result in big secondary explosions if your unlucky!

For a really detailed model you can add armor thickness select able for each component too, with max armor thickness reducing payload to say 50% and zero armor = 100%.

If the armor is thick most smaller lasers, projectiles and beams would just glance off (% chance each hit), but could if your game engine allows it hit other ships or less armored parts.

JoshParnell wrote:I have yet to determine whether post-destruction debris will be in or not. There are a few cool tricks that I could play since the models are procedural (and, in particular, composed of discrete pieces)...but I'm not sure how good it will look.

Wooooo.

Honestly ever post Josh writes makes me more and more excited. I'm about to wet myself!

I really didn't think that the ship destruction The Hedge Knight wanted in game would be possible for really any game but just the fact that Josh is interested in it and has some idea about it is amazing.
also disabling ship subsystems is exciting

Since Hedge Knight already posted this up, and I completely support his idea, I'd much rather merge my thread with his.

Therefore I'm posting the content of my suggestion in here:
Greetings!

I would just like to note that I would absolutely LOVE it if:

Weapons that hit a ship and damage the hull will leave a mark.
And I mean a mark.

Grazed, burned, smashed and dented metal, holes, metal debris being propelled into space, superheated melting metal, little people being sucked out into space trough those holes, small alarm signals and red lights playing close to the point of impact and much, much more.

I realise that some of these ideas are hard to realise, but I wanted to give a general impression on what I would love.
This would add much to immersion, in my opinion.

In most space sims, damage effects on models are either non-existant or very, very cheap.

And while we're at it - EXPLOSION.
Please make them look GOOD. Just as with damage effects on ships. explosions are very cheap and look cheesy in most space sims.

Haegemonia did it quite right, for example, and this game is rather old:

http://www.gamersglobal.de/sites/gamers ... onia_6.jpg

http://static1.fore.4pcdn.de/premium/Sc ... llbild.jpg

Thank you for your time reading this!

Cheers,
Elric
- What can change the nature of a man?

Online Now