Return to “Games”

Re: Dwarf Fortress?

The next version is out!!!!!

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Toady One wrote:Here is the new version we've been working on all year! The flow of fortress life is quite a bit different now -- specific breaks and parties have been replaced by taverns and performances and needs and inebriation. You can designate a tavern, temple or library from a meeting area zone, bedroom or dining room using the new Assign Location option. The location list ('l') will let you know what sort of furniture and items you need, and you can set tavern keepers, scribes and other occupations there as well. You'll need to set up a drink stockpile and a chest for goblets in taverns for drink service to work properly, but dwarves can still drink without a tavern as before. You can assign multiple rooms/zones to a single location. There's a lot more -- see the feature list below.

The bug fix list below is partial. Large chunks of the game were changed, which has a way of making old bugs go away while bringing in new ones to take their place. We'll be focusing on bugs old and new in subsequent releases, starting with crashing saves and moving down the list. The next set of bug-fix releases will be measured on a scale of days and weeks rather than months, as usual.

New stuff

Ability to designate taverns, temples and libraries in the fortress
Taverns and libraries also exist in adventure mode and world generation
Tavern keepers can serve drinks in both modes, goblets can be used by dwarves to drink (in taverns or otherwise)
Performances include stories, poetry, music and dance (you can view activity descriptions from the unit/job list)
Art forms are randomly generated for each civilization
Instruments are now all generated, instruments can be used in both modes
Most instruments are constructed from multiple pieces using different materials
Personalities and values lead to needs which can be met by various actions in both modes
The fort has visitors, residency petitions and eventual citizenship, including non-dwarves
Tavern visitors include mercenaries, monster slayers, bandits, diplomats and performers
Can set details for clothing/armor jobs to make them for other races that can equip items
Monster slayers can petition your fortress to go down and fight monsters once you discover the underground
Performance troupes are active in world generation and into play, visiting the fort, can be formed in adventure mode
New knowledge system divided into nine branches (though it has very few practical effects so far)
Fortress scholars can advance knowledge, form master-apprentice relationships and write down their findings
Fortress scribes can copy works in your library
Scholars can visit your fortress libraries, bringing knowledge from around the world
Devoted historical figures can visit your fortress temples
Three forms of writing material: papyrus sheets, paper sheets and parchment sheets
Papyrus sheets are made directly from the plant at the farmer's workshop
Paper is made from pressed slurries (start at the quern/mill, then go to a screw press)
Parchment is made from hide and milk of lime at the tanner's (bake quicklime at a kiln, then make milk of lime at an ashery)
Sheets are used to make quires or with rollers to make scrolls -- these are then used for writing
Quires can be bound into codices with bindings after they contain writing
Dwarves read books in the library (they don't need to be scholars)
Values can be passed in writing (both modes) and through adventure mode arguments (uses some conversation skills)
Animal people are playable as adventurers, arrive as fort visitors and sometimes live in towns in (playable) populations
Children play with toys now, and they can also play make believe, in both modes
Personality can be customized/randomized in adventure mode, appearance can be randomized as well
Temples can be defiled in both modes, dwarf temples can be assigned to particular gods
Adventurer can rent rooms in inns
Adventurers can compose new poems, music and dances
Adventurers can write material down on empty quires or scrolls
Alcohol causes inebriation, erratic behavior, unconsciousness, death
Festivals occur in world generation, though we haven't gotten them out of there yet
Dwarves will wear trinkets again

Major bug fixes

Fixed some army pathing issues
Goblins have mounts again
Fixed long-standing flow bug with unit occupancy
Stopped some issues with brawls escalating to non-lethal

Other bug fixes/tweaks

Looking at reaction screen for redded-out reactions in workshop will indicate missing reagents now
Fixed inversion problem with half of the child/parent conversation thoughts
Lots of historical figures that weren't around from the beginning didn't have deities when they were supposed to
Allowed site finder to look for 1x1 sites
Human civilizations now have randomized values
Added ability to set invasion wave cap size
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Someday, I will learn how to do more than just dig into the mountain and make empty rooms :lol:
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

So...I took this weekend where I've been mostly unable to connect to the internet to start playing Dwarf Fortress. :squirrel:
I've looked at some articles on starting the game beforehand...but as it stands...i don't remember much from that anymore. :ghost:

...So far it's pretty nice actually though...nobody's dead yet.

It all started nicely, I chose a piece of world (unrecognizable strange symbols) in a friendly and warm environment (All green, Sand, Soil, many metals...now that I think about it, I'm not sure if I have flux there...well, whatever this stuff is needed for...I'll find out in time :ghost: )

I started beside something that seemed to be hills in the flatlands. With green stuff everywhere...some water nearby and not much wildlife.

First priority to find out how to get those guys moving. I chose the standard embark, so I had a miner and a Lumberjack. Pretty soon I told my miner to carve some 3-width tunnels into the hills...and my lumberjack went to fell every. Single. Tree. on the map. :squirrel:

Pretty soon I told my miner to dig out some rooms and a stairway to the next-lower layer. (Where he got trapped because I told him to pick those stairs away...Which i only noticed as he was pretty dehydrated and hungry already.)

Somehow i managed to get him out of there...luckily...

BTW: What to do with migrants X.X I lost the overview over those already and I only have 11 dwarves at the moment.

Well...for my final conclusion on this report: Just play on for now...I can use the wiki later. :ghost:
Apparently, sometimes stuff might happen.
- - - - - - - -

Gazz wrote:
F4wk35 wrote:Well...for my final conclusion on this report: Just play on for now...I can use the wiki later. :ghost:
That's the spirit. I mean, what could possibly go wrong, eh? =P
Many things actually. :ghost:

For example: I might not be able to find out how to open the calender. I don't have a single clue about traps and military. The time goes on and I don't have any clue as to how much time has passed already.
Also: I found a menu where it lists my supplies... It hasn't changed since the start, I fear, my dwarves will suddenly start starving or something (unless they're all downed any other way...ambushes, wildlife, my experiments with flowing water or even something as simple as the elves coming over and seeing that i literally fell every single tree on the map).

Well...no problem...I can solve all those problems in time...and no tips please ;) I want to keep this first attempt running unguided until it bursts like the big bubble of chaotic destruction that it is already. :squirrel:
- - - - - - - -

Sorry for double-Posting...but I've got a bit of a question here. :oops:

I downloaded the lazy-pack from the link in the wiki...and now every few times I want to do something dwarfy, my Anti-Virus goes on a rampage and deletes DF-stuff.

I just wanted to ask, if that's a common problem or not ._.
- - - - - - - -

Well, don't use Windows much, but this would be my guess:
some of the dwarf fortress addons in the noob pack read DF's memory directly. Now, reading (and writing) another programs memory is suspicious because viruses do it too, which is probably what triggers your antivirus.
In Ubuntu, I have to specifically allow Dwarf Therapist to read DF's memory it because programs can't actually do that by default. (In windows they can because "uh how do i security")
As long as you got it from the official source I wouldn't worry about it, just add the exe's as exceptions to your antivirus.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now