Return to “Suggestions”

Procedural Backgrounds/megastructures

I'm gonna go ahead and assume most people here have played Homeworld (if not, it's a good way to waste a year playing that game before this one is done).

Remember in the backgrounds of Homeworld (like just the picture of the background space)? I loved seeing the megastructures that were in those backgrounds. I'm thinking, and I'm not coder, is it possible to procedurally make those megastructures in the background?

Even better yet, why not make a sector type of the game where you can wormhole or jumpgate into these places of deep space to explore (and potentially mine) there mega structures that are hundreds of billions of miles in length and volume. I think it would really diversify exploration from just asteroid fields and planets.

Just an idea. :)
Re: Procedural Backgrounds/megastructures

Stretch goal maybe? (haha! JK)

I am totally fine if it's one of the "post-release" ideas... You said yourself, gameplay is key. You are going to try and make mining, combat, and exploration all as interesting and fun as possible. I feel that making megastructures would really enhance exploration. There could be loot, minerals, pirates... I would think of it like an "instance" from MMOs or like Strongholds in Minecraft. Obviously coding/reality are very much different from what we *want* out of the game.

Either way, with or without megastructures... Exploration must be fun. (No pressure) :P

TMRNetShark wrote:Even better yet, why not make a sector type of the game where you can wormhole or jumpgate into these places of deep space to explore (and potentially mine) there mega structures that are hundreds of billions of miles in length and volume. I think it would really diversify exploration from just asteroid fields and planets.
But what would be the ingame purpose of them?
What kind of gameplay are you suggesting?
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Gazz wrote:What kind of gameplay are you suggesting?
for one they have a massive amount of usable flat terrain with can support more life than several systems worth of planets in one location so just 11 dyson ring could be a major hub of activity. also the tech level to build one is well beyond anything we would have acess to so learning to use some ofthyeir tech would advance our standing considerably. and other ancient relics might contain ancient ships or raw resources we could salvage or even claim and use as our own.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Gazz wrote: But what would be the ingame purpose of them?
Read the post right above you. Gameplay would include exploring the interior sections of the structure, finding old tech, mining raw resources, discovering ancient alien artifacts, and discovering any inhabitants. Combat would include killing said inhabitants, pirates also trying to loot the place, or accidentally waking up ancient aliens who now want to murder you (probably for waking them up). Lastly, why not be able to set up shop there yourself and use a station that you build as a base of operations to strip mine the structure (manually yourself or let the AI do it themselves) for the miner in all of us.

TMRNetShark wrote:
Gazz wrote: But what would be the ingame purpose of them?
Read the post right above you. Gameplay would include exploring the interior sections of the structure, finding old tech, mining raw resources, discovering ancient alien artifacts, and discovering any inhabitants. Combat would include killing said inhabitants, pirates also trying to loot the place, or accidentally waking up ancient aliens who now want to murder you (probably for waking them up). Lastly, why not be able to set up shop there yourself and use a station that you build as a base of operations to strip mine the structure (manually yourself or let the AI do it themselves) for the miner in all of us.
if you read the fourm post on boarding parties and piracy i dont think we will see anything in first-person outside of our ship. so walking around such a structure dosent seem plausible. now if your ships small enough or you had a probe of some kind to scout for you thats another matter. XD
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Dadalos wrote: if you read the fourm post on boarding parties and piracy i dont think we will see anything in first-person outside of our ship. so walking around such a structure dosent seem plausible. now if your ships small enough or you had a probe of some kind to scout for you thats another matter. XD

My idea was more like... flying into these megastructures with your entire fleet.
TMRNetShark wrote: why not make a sector type of the game where you can wormhole or jumpgate into these places of deep space to explore (and potentially mine) there mega structures that are hundreds of billions of miles in length and volume. I think it would really diversify exploration from just asteroid fields and planets.
Big enough to fly ships into... Or even fit moons. :P

heres a good game that i found that proves its possible!, it called shores of hazeron and has been in alpha stage for a decade!, its an First person view of you on a planet where you have to bear grylls until you can make a city and gain enough raw materials until you can get into space, very bad graphics and because its an mmo its not single player and so it has very bad movement lag, point is, there are ringworlds! which you can actually fly to and colonise and claim the megastructure

http://hazeron.wikia.com/wiki/Ringworld

The kind of ambushes/dogfights/flying that could be done with a ship inside a megastructure could be awesome. First thing I think of is if those massive broken stations and such in EVE were collision objects and not just there visually. My second thought, which really intrigues me now is: Commoragh! http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/im ... h_View.jpg

HOT DAMN if something like that could be generated in game I would die of excitement waiting to fly my ship into it, bombarding spires, towers, and city blocks like a homicidal maniac. And maybe peacefully exploring it too.
They shall call me, Draglide! The thread killer!

Online Now