Return to “General”

Re: Pirating

There is surprisingly little information on this topic, there is another thread on the topic of diplomatic interaction during combat, surrendering/ransoming that sort of thing, but that is also lacking in hard answers so far.
I'm also very interested in NPC interaction and loot mechanics and will look forward to a response from Josh on the subject.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

+1. I've always thought proper pirating in space sims is cool, and you don't see it very often. I'd like to see pirating full-featured enough that you can use a combination of a pummeling and persuasion to make a crew abandon ship entirely, and take their ship in tow (or crew it with your own NPCs). This of course would be the most extreme course: you could also just ask them to drop their cargo, or simply make them wire you credits.

I imagine some skill would be involved - you'd have to take out their key systems like engines without blowing up the ship, for your "request" that they abandon ship/send you cargo or credits to be taken seriously. Or you could just take out their life support system and wait for them all to expire, and then tow their ship away. That could grant you their ship and their cargo, but not their credits.

Truth be told, I haven't decided how far I'm going to go with pirating yet. I know that you'll be able to disable ships by destroying thrusters and turrets, for example. As far as diplomatic interaction, I suspect that you will be able to threaten them, then show them that you're serious, then request a cargo drop or wire transfer. I think boarding is a bit too lofty for the time being, but tractoring might be feasible.

Yes, unfortunately I haven't played around with this in code enough yet to know just how hard various things are going to be, and, unfortunately, I won't know until the high-level AI really comes online (because this system is no doubt going to tie in intimately with high-level AI).
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

boarding parties would definitly require some kind of fps type action unless it was npc controlled or your able to acquire an otherwise derelict ship. taking out specific systems could easily play into showing them your serious and losing life support tends to make people rahter willing to negotiate... ether way this is handled i can see it playing a rather large role in anyone game no matter their profession.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

I was thinking of using the beam and pulling them into your ship as a form of intimidation or perhaps have a way to kill the crew off without sending in your crew. I would think if you have a ship large enuff to hold another why shouldn't you be able to throw radiation at them if they are in your bay, just an idea there are probably other far better ways to kill them off than that.
The only limit is the one you set.

Skyfligher wrote:I was thinking of using the beam and pulling them into your ship as a form of intimidation or perhaps have a way to kill the crew off without sending in your crew. I would think if you have a ship large enuff to hold another why shouldn't you be able to throw radiation at them if they are in your bay, just an idea there are probably other far better ways to kill them off than that.
to be sure and if ai are anything like whats being hinted at your mere reputation might be enough to get them to surrender without a fight...or join your crew.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

How about a more forceful boarding such as a surprise attack by impaling a specialized troop ship into the hull of your target ship.
Once aboard your boarding party has a chance of success depending on the a.) skill and if caught by surprise b.) Targeted system to control such as the bridge, engineering, life support c.) hostile crew skill and numbers d.) Actual overall progress inside ship and damage inflicted outside the ship by your vessel.

If you don't like the idea of crashing ships into a targeted vessel there could be a boarding drill which grapples onto the hull or you could have it easy and fly into a cargo bay forcefully opened or not.

This forceful boarding can be a great way to hail the targeted ships commander to declare a ultimatum such as disabling life support or self destructing if your crew is unable to fully capture their ship within a given time.

The opposite can be true your on a mission to patrol an area when you see this happening to a cargo vessel or large carrier you try to contact this ship but no response so you then send your own crew to return control to the attacked ship once aboard you can issue orders to find the commander or look for key systems to defend because you haven't contacted the commander and the ship is in chaos you might be fired upon by the crew inside the ship and by the ship. Meanwhile in space you can either try to detach the boarding pods and defend the ship. When or if you succeed you might have to repel the pirate ship who issued the boarding party and defend the other ship or you can offer an friendship/alliance.

Finally you can try to assist the pirates in taking over to hopefully earn a share of the spoils and gaining an pirate ally or maybe to stab them in the back once all of the hard work is done.

As there will be no actual ground combat so far in the game these commands to your ship will be issued from your ships communication system and any space combat you need to deal with.
Last edited by Actzoltan on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Dadalos wrote:boarding parties would definitly require some kind of fps type action unless it was npc controlled or your able to acquire an otherwise derelict ship. taking out specific systems could easily play into showing them your serious and losing life support tends to make people rahter willing to negotiate... ether way this is handled i can see it playing a rather large role in anyone game no matter their profession.
Not really. X series had boarding it all the shooting took place behind the scenes while you met certain benchmarks outside.

Well, forget boarding then.

With subsystem targeting, you could target the cargo bay.

If threatening the crew works well enough, you get a 100 reputation hit for piracy.

If they are stubborn and you blow open their cargo bay to collect some of their cargo (some is blown up), you get a 300 reputation hit for piracy.

If you destroy the ship (maybe the damage to the cargo bay was too much), you get a 500 reputation hit for piracy and murder.

If boarding isn't possible, that also allows you to make faction relations more meaningful.
You can't simply steal the "best of their class" ships from 5 different races. They all have to like you well enough to sell them their special ships!
With procedurally generated ships, you'll be able to find good ships and have a constant incentive to upgrade your fleet or try new tactics.
A bit of Diablo / Borderlands. =)
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.

Dadalos wrote: to be sure and if ai are anything like whats being hinted at your mere reputation might be enough to get them to surrender without a fight...or join your crew.
Big +1 to this! Your reputation for being a successful pirate should be one of the factors in how quickly people surrender to you.

EDIT: Then again, this cuts both ways: if you've got a reputation for killing crews after they give you what you want, then people would never surrender to you. Perhaps if there witnesses to your pirating, you'll get a rep for it. If there are no ships near enough to witness it, then your rep as a pirate won't change.

insolent wrote: If there are no ships near enough to witness it, then your rep as a pirate won't change.

"If there are no survivors, I wonder where all the stories come from?_captain jack" XD

JoshParnell wrote:Truth be told, I haven't decided how far I'm going to go with pirating yet. I know that you'll be able to disable ships by destroying thrusters and turrets, for example. As far as diplomatic interaction, I suspect that you will be able to threaten them, then show them that you're serious, then request a cargo drop or wire transfer. I think boarding is a bit too lofty for the time being, but tractoring might be feasible.

Yes, unfortunately I haven't played around with this in code enough yet to know just how hard various things are going to be, and, unfortunately, I won't know until the high-level AI really comes online (because this system is no doubt going to tie in intimately with high-level AI).
How much of a fight would they put up? Would you get full cargo or partial? Would the NPC's remember your previous actions. Like if you demanded a ransom, then blew them up anyway, would word get out, and the next ship would be less likely to given in because they know their dead anyway?

Online Now