Return to “Suggestions”

Mumble / TeamSpeak integration (for multiplayer)

Something that always bothered me about Minecraft (and, let's face it, Limit Theory is basically Minecraft in space) was the lack of realism wrt chat and Mumble, in that everyone on the map can hear you regardless of how far away they are, and that there is no directional sound. It would be much nicer to at least have the option of setting up a game in which you are able to hail players near you or within radio range. Mumble certainly allows applications to tell it which direction a certain player's voice should be coming from and how loud it should be (based on game status) and I believe TeamSpeak does too. There could even be a push-to-talk button built right in to the in-game cockpit.
-- Beetle
Re: Mumble / TeamSpeak integration (for multiplayer)

Even if we hit the multiplayer stretch goal, that will undoubtedly appear and hopefully be outsourced, I don't see why you would want to integrate voip in the game, in all the games I have seen voip I've only seen it used in public FPS servers. Let people use their voip of choice, I personally prefer skype due to the superior sound quality even though it is lacking other features.
The instant chat to the whole universe would be easy enough to technobabble away, quantum entanglement is popular in that regard.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

Bele wrote:Even if we hit the multiplayer stretch goal, that will undoubtedly appear and hopefully be outsourced, I don't see why you would want to integrate voip in the game, in all the games I have seen voip I've only seen it used in public FPS servers. Let people use their voip of choice, I personally prefer skype due to the superior sound quality even though it is lacking other features.
The instant chat to the whole universe would be easy enough to technobabble away, quantum entanglement is popular in that regard.
fully agreed what you said, no realy need at all for the likes of TS and others for LT

perosnally Im happy its just a SP game, maybe later perhaps, MP could be added or a sequel if there is demand, but I'm happy to play it alone

Bele wrote:The instant chat to the whole universe would be easy enough to technobabble away, quantum entanglement is popular in that regard.
Actually, it's not that I think it's unrealistic because it should be physically impossible, it's that it feels emotionally wrong, like I have godmode enabled or something. Again with reference to Minecraft, most substances are not subject to gravity but that doesn't bother me because it doesn't affect the gameplay. Likewise the death/respawn mechanics feel OK while obviously being completely implausible. But, for example, being able to press F3 and find out your coordinates (a debugging feature) feels to me like cheating.

It's that I think the game would be more fun if there was a mode where you had to do something challenging in-game (travel) in order to communicate with other human players. But obviously it wouldn't force you to play in this mode.

Providing plug-ins for Mumble and TeamSpeak (for people who use those) does not prevent people from using Skype instead if they want to. Or even not using the plug-in and just using Mumble or TeamSpeak in the default mode of "broadcast to everybody".
-- Beetle

I am fine with having only the single player for the initial release as well. Though I must admit that I am interested in the possibility of co-op play even as true, large-scale, multiplayer leaves me cold.
I know not what life is, nor death.
Year in year out-all but a dream.
Both Heaven and Hell are left behind;
I stand in the moonlit dawn,
Free from clouds of attachment.

Beetle wrote: Providing plug-ins for Mumble and TeamSpeak (for people who use those) does not prevent people from using Skype instead if they want to. Or even not using the plug-in and just using Mumble or TeamSpeak in the default mode of "broadcast to everybody".
I see you point but I feel it should be a low priority feature, if it's really easy to implement there is no reason not to, but if it isn't there are more important features to get into release.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

dont forget that you will be communicating with npcs in game and communication ranges are a crucial part that needs to be adressed. for instance its reasonable the asume that well patrolled areas would have comm arays set up for relaying and transmiting radio signals between ships and planets. but out in the more remote area it wouldent make since for you to be able to dial in to any number of planets anywere in the known universe. how fun would it be to set up ambushes or be a pirate if eveery system anout there know the instant you did anything wrong? realisticly you should be able to jam communications capture/destroy a ship and it take days/weeks/ even months before somone even noticed the transport ships running late and even longer before it was investigated...and even then theres not link tto your having done it.

so setting a base line about how communications would work would be a valid topic to research. and IF ( and i say that to satisfy anyone against MP ) then there would already be a chat system established. regardless if your anything like me and you play a game that lacks Voice chat (or like minecraft with even limited text chat) we use skype and talk to the people that we want to.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now