Return to “Suggestions”

Character/seed selection

So, I'll admit to having no idea how procedural generation works, but would it be possible to have a selection process when starting a new game that lets you pick the situation in which you start the game? For example, if you want to start with a focus on mining, your first ship is outfitted accordingly; if you want to start as a mercenary, you have slightly better weaponry; if you want to start as a merchant, you get a bonus to your starting funds, and maybe have a larger cargo hold or faster ship, at the cost of lower defense/offense capabilities.

Alternative to or in concert with the above, you could perhaps select preferred characteristics for your starting environment (greater mining opportunities, high vs low presence of NPC pirates, etc) to aid in selection of the seed used for a new game?

The thought here is that if you want to do something specific, you can get started in an area or character configuration that is more inviting to that role and makes it easier to get your feet under yourself. This could also be used to cue role-specific tutorials and create an optionally-guided start to the game so new players don't get lost in the sheer amount of possibilities. And of course if you don't want to pick a specific path/setup, there is a JOAT-type selection that would be well-rounded with no specific advantages/disadvantages.
I am 42.
Re: Character/seed selection

Again, the idea here is that it gives players a chance to get a guided start - they have everything they need, no guess work involved, to begin on the path they wish to. Just because you have the money to buy what you need doesn't mean you understand the best way to spend it to get started as a merchant. Sure, there are alternatives, this is simply one idea of how to handle getting players pointed in the right direction for what they want to achieve.
I am 42.
Re: Character/seed selection

an intriguing possibility. if this is not implemented as a default (along with other generation options ) it would definitely get my vote as a stretch goal. the ability to guide specific variables in the generation for both the universe and yourself would be immensely valuable to me. some times picking out starting equipment or even just learning the game for the first time could be a daunting experience and starting out in a war ravaged hell zone of a system might appeal to some, id prefer a quiet safe mining colony some place where i can get my feet wet without drowning in the ocean of possibilities.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now