Return to “Suggestions”

Mines. The kind that goes boom.

Mines can be fun but in 3D space, classic "dumb" mines are pointless.
Space is simply too big to cover it in any noticeable density.

If there are mines then they need to be homing - in some shape or form.

Possible variations would be:
  • "Mines" are actually one-shot missile launchers.
    That lets each mine cover a considerable chunk of space.
  • As proven for years in X3, mines without IFF are completely useless if they cause a reputation hit when they destroy something.
    Possible solutions:
    • Make the act of laying mines give a rep hit with all who see you doing it.
      Mines might have some activation time during which they are visible... before they go into hiding.
      Have fun stealth-mining the area around that station you never liked anyway.
    • Have mines only attack "enemies". Duh. =P
  • Mines are mobile.
    They are hard to detect and move at a crawl but if they detect a ship early enough, they can crawl onto an intercept course.
  • Mines react to different target sizes.
    You can't just send a cheap fighter into a minefield to attract the attention of all mines, then drive your big ships through the opening.
  • Ship equipment: Mine scanner
    "Heavy" equipment that detects them at long range. You still need missiles or something comparable to dispatch them at a safe range.
  • Ship equipment: Decoy Drone
    Small, re-usable (can collect if it survives) drone that simulates the signature size of [your ship].
    If you suspect mines in the area, you have a chance to not instantly turn into a fireball. Doesn't really clear a minefield but you know when to get the hell out.
  • Ship equipment: Early warning system.
    Detects radiation leaking from the mines' cloaking jingamabobs.
    Tells you that this is not a good place to be but doesn't target / uncover the actual mines for you.
Last edited by Gazz on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Re: Mines. The kind that goes boom.

You could use a large number of decoy drones. Might be costly but you can do that without a specially equipped ship.

Obviously a mine sweeper ship would be more effective.

Or you barrel through it with your dreadnaught.

Or you pray really hard if you have neither.
Nowhere have I seen a sign that the player must always win and must always be able to directly overcome every obstacle in LT. =P

I could also imagine an early warning system that tells you that mines are somewhere in the area - but doesn't target / uncover them for you.
There is no "I" in Tea. That would be gross.
Re: Mines. The kind that goes boom.

this reminds me of the massive mine field in the movie galaxy quest. anyone whos seen it will know what im talking about.
and god forbid that i ever find a way to set something like that up XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Online Now