Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Ship Interiors.

Anoniempje wrote:Interiors. What i really liked about KOTOR and Skies of Arcadia was that you could roam your own ship and talk with npc's
If your ship is your home, i'd like to be able to wander around in it.
He answers this on the kickstarter page.
Can You Get Out of Your Ship and Walk Around?

No, not this time around. Someday, whether in an expansion, LT II, or whatever. This is one of my most revered dream features, but I have been realistic in choosing what I can and can't implement within a reasonable time frame, and I don't feel comfortable that I could do justice to this feature in a reasonable amount of time.
FAQ | Kickstarter | IRC | Common Suggestions

walking the ship was also a fave feature of mine in kotor. and in some games i would make a career out of playing mechanic on my own ship tuning sensors tweaking grav plating adjusting lazer power manifolds... and who knows in LT2 that might happen but for now ill take LT1 for what it is and be here on the forums making comments and boring you all to death with my long post XD.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Walking inside the spaceship is not something I'm terribly fond of in a game. I think it adds very little in compairson to how complex to develop it would be, you might explore it once but unless there is a scripted story with "living" characters like in mass effect what is there to do?

Much rather you can walk and explore foregin locations like abandoned spaceships, mining colony ruins, alien sites, research bases gone silent... and so on.

If these could be generated randomly so they are different each time then, wow just wow. But that is not something for this game until in a few yeras time perhaps. :roll:

walking around the ship ill admit would be a bit dull after a time even with a living environment of random events. the thing that caught my attention in these games wasnt walking around the ship it was living on the ship being part of the ship as it were and having a role to fufill. as i said in my erlier post. fine tuning the engens or tweaking the sensors to pick up an ore type the manufacture wasnt aware of. (or calibrating it to pick up thos cloaked priates...) or other activities to pass the time while autopilot between planets and systems. like the chess game plaid on starwars or even making use of the planned ship editor to plan out ship upgrades. theres a lot the could be done without making you walk around a large cage for 10 -15 min as your ship flys you to that trade house.
If I've rambled and gone off topic im sorry but i tend to be long winded as you might notice if you stumble across my other post XD. thanks for reading.

Ringo wrote:That could happen in the capital ships .... maybe a stretch goal? Seems like extra work to me, fun for the players I am sure :) We could decorate our Captain's Quarters with a erm ... fish tank!
And on occasion, attractive crewmembers? Not necessarily of the same race? :lol:

I do think that it'll be too much work though, especially for a game without a huge team working on it (like Star Citizen does). Also, if walking around in interiors is implemented, Josh would also need to make things to give you a reason to walk around your ship, because it will get boring and redundant fast if you have no reason to.

All other games like KoTOR and Mass Effect where you could walk around your "spaceship" had characters populating them, heavily scripted, fully voiced and animated characters, I might add.

Lynx wrote: if walking around in interiors is implemented, Josh would also need to make things to give you a reason to walk around your ship, because it will get boring and redundant fast if you have no reason to.
there is mention of adding cockpits to the game and for me thats all the interior of a ship i truly need. especially if all other functions of the ship can be controlled via internal controls. for instance my ideal ship is a Large cargo freighter with the ability to mine and process ores without returning to some planet or station based refinement facility. the added ability to use those ores to repair/improve my ship on the fly would also make this option more attractive to my personal play style.

I would rather have one great game than two ok games merged into one. Walking around is really a separate game. Different physics, different art assets, different game mechanics. It requires a lot more new stuff than most people think.

While other people love their immersion, I hate cockpits. They obscure a lot of my view. The designs of the UI is usually very poor. It is the first thing I turn off.
David -- Proud to be saving the world since 1984

croxis wrote:I would rather have one great game than two ok games merged into one.
Agreed.
croxis wrote:While other people love their immersion, I hate cockpits. They obscure a lot of my view. The designs of the UI is usually very poor. It is the first thing I turn off.
usually crappy and always crappy are 2 completely different things. and if you have the option to turn them off i dont see what the issue would be to having them. also if its truly an issue of visibility playing from a 3rd person view point would be optimal anyway...

I personally do not need it, nor want it. If this is a spaceship-based game, then it should keep to spaceships. I'm not a fan of first person shooters, or anything like that, so I would not really want this.

EVE is a good example. They added the captains quarters, and I think I visited it once. It's great that it's not required to play, so I do not have to visit it. Also, EVE has another great example. They added a 1st person shooter to the whole game as a separate package with Dust 514. I have a PS3, but I have no interest in that game either, even if I like EVE.

I'm not a fan of games that mix too many genres. Sure, some people may like many of the genres, but other people do not. So forcing some people to play an FPS inside an spaceship-based exploration game can throw people off. It would throw me off at least... Personal opinion of course.

EDIT: As Ondaderthad stated, I would not mind this added as an optional game, separate from the main game. As long as I'm not forced into it, no problem.

As an avid roleplayer, I know I'll go through all the halls of my ship, or ships, and space stations, and planet facilities, over and over again, when the time comes, in my mind. I can't help myself. I know I'm going to. And I'm OK with that.

The main problem I see with the idea of walking inside buildings and ships is the difficulty of creating NPCs. I'd love to, I really would. But I realize that the difficulty is too high, especially if you don't have someone to design and animate the models for you, preferably a relatively large group of people in such a vast project. But the fact that I don't need anything other than my imagination to do it comforts me. And so it is even more believable and immersive.

I'd settle for being able to have a cockpit view, but that's not really necessary neither. When I saw the Command View in the videos, I could see myself standing in front of the holographic map in the tactics room, or sitting in my little cockpit, watching the tactical display to the right of my metal chair, and I realized that this is an experience I want to have. And the only thing I need is my own imagination. How cool is this game to stimulate our imagination in such a way!

With a credible artificial intelligence this game is going to be just amazing.
"Playing" is not simply a pastime, it is the primordial basis of imagination and creation. - Hideo Kojima

Etsu wrote:As an avid roleplayer, I know I'll go through all the halls of my ship, or ships, and space stations, and planet facilities, over and over again, when the time comes, in my mind. I can't help myself. I know I'm going to. And I'm OK with that.

The main problem I see with the idea of walking inside buildings and ships is the difficulty of creating NPCs. I'd love to, I really would. But I realize that the difficulty is too high, especially if you don't have someone to design and animate the models for you, preferably a relatively large group of people in such a vast project. But the fact that I don't need anything other than my imagination to do it comforts me. And so it is even more believable and immersive.

I'd settle for being able to have a cockpit view, but that's not really necessary neither. When I saw the Command View in the videos, I could see myself standing in front of the holographic map in the tactics room, or sitting in my little cockpit, watching the tactical display to the right of my metal chair, and I realized that this is an experience I want to have. And the only thing I need is my own imagination. How cool is this game to stimulate our imagination in such a way!

With a credible artificial intelligence this game is going to be just amazing.
Yes, that is definitely part of the problem... To do interiors, and NPCs, it takes a lot of effort, and talent. I guess we would all like to see something like this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_CYXrqM-3tmM/T ... 406670.jpg

But in many cases we get something like this:

http://undeadrufus.com/wp-content/uploa ... _00009.jpg

Good character models can help the game a lot, give it life, and personality. Bad ones... Well, there are no words to describe the feelings you get when you look at it... If it can't be done right, it better not be done at all.

Online Now