Before University, we had letter grades, so
90% - A*
80% - A
70% - B
60% - C
50% - D
40% - E
lower, ungraded - U

I completed the full set in my GCSEs. Double Award Science - A*A*, Maths - A*, Music - A, ICT - B, English - C, Geography - D, RE - E, Business Studies - U :mrgreen:

On the other hand, Uni was percentage based.

Overall grade for each course is determined by the weighted mean of all assignments in that course (some assignments are worth more than others). A course is only passed if all assignments are >=30%, and the average is >=40%.

Overall grade for the year is determined by the weighted mean of all courses in that year (some courses are worth more than others). The year is only passed if all courses are >=30%, and the average is >=40%.

In order to progress to the next year, the previous year must be passed. Sometimes they will allow a discretionary pass if only one course is failed and is retaken on top of all next-year courses as well.

Once all years have been passed, the final grade for the (three-year) degree subject is determined by either:

- the overall grade for the third year,
- the median grade of all third year assignments, or
- the weighted mean of all second and third year assignments,

whichever is highest. This final grade determines your honours, so:

70% - First Class Honours
60% - Upper Second Class Honours
50% - Lower Second Class Honours
40% - Pass (no honours)
lower - no award

I find it interesting that you can pass each year by marginally failing three courses and passing one (years are typically four equal courses), although you can't get an honorary degree in doing so.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)
Re: Things That Made You Happy Today

I don't know where to put this "announcement" but as it makes me happy and probably many in the Community who are sick of my nostalgic ramblings I thought this was the ideal place.

I will be silent here for at least ten days from this coming Monday as I am once again joining a group of kindred spirits on Retreat. :D :D

I'm informing the Community because it seems like the polite and decent thing to do. :) I'm looking at you Josh Parnell.

Try not to wreck the place ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully, your good selves will still be here when I return. :wave: :angel:
Re: Things That Made You Happy Today

Victor Tombs wrote:I don't know where to put this "announcement" but as it makes me happy and probably many in the Community who are sick of my nostalgic ramblings I thought this was the ideal place.

I will be silent here for at least ten days from this coming Monday as I am once again joining a group of kindred spirits on Retreat. :D :D

I'm informing the Community because it seems like the polite and decent thing to do. :) I'm looking at you Josh Parnell.

Try not to wreck the place ladies and gentlemen. Hopefully, your good selves will still be here when I return. :wave: :angel:
Enjoy yourself!
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

Online Now