Return to “REKT”

Re: REKT: God Throws Dice

Talvieno wrote:And yes, buying a horn is allowed. I can attach it to your ship as a vehicle horn or you can keep it in the cockpit. As a miscellaneous item, it'll cost 1 credit. There's a lot of paperwork involved, see.
This is a horn for accompanyin', not for beepin'. :mrgreen:

I've added it to the character sheet. Francis doesn't feel right without his horn.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

Yep, two infantry weapons. :) Both free. Free replacements too - but you'll have to actually survive for those.

Most combat is probably going to be ship-based, but this gives you extra options on the ground. There also may be a few instances where it makes sense to get out to do something quickly or squeeze through somewhere.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

It's pretty simple. Let's say you do the action:
Reach into the crack in the asteroid and carefully grab Tal's head with my robotic pincers, pull it out without damaging it and place it in my cargo pod.
This action is associated with robotics, so let's say you have 0 robotics. You get a roll of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 based on your robotics skill because the action is robotics-based. +0 means everything stays at what it is: 1-6. Only 5 is really desirable, 4 is partial failure/partial success, etc. A 5 is an instant success, but let's say you roll a 4. I could write:
You reach into the crack and grab Tal's head, and just barely manage to grab it, dragging his face across the rock roughly as you pull it out - you have a feeling he won't be quite as pretty anymore when you're done with him. When you go to put it into your cargo pod, you fumble with the pincers, trying to get them to behave - you add too much power, though, and Tal's head comes loose, floating away into space. Well... at least it's out of the crack.
If you got a 3, I could write,
You reach into the crack with your robotic arm and, on your first attempt, manage to accidentally crush his jaw. At least he's dead, right? Wincing slightly, you reach in again and manage to jiggle him farther out... but when his head gets wedged in there, you decide to stop and think it over for a moment.
Or a 2:
You try to reach into the crack, but the claw doesn't quite fit. Maybe if you tried a little more carefully to get the positioning just right...
Now let's say you got a 1.
You reach into the crack a little too excitedly and the pincers get jammed. Tal's head is nowhere to be seen. After some careful maneuvering of both the arm and the thrusters, you eventually manage to get your robotic arm unstuck - but realize to your horror that now Tal's head is crushed into a hardly recognizable paste. It's his own fault for being dumb enough to try to launch himself off his fore thrusters, but still... this is truly a tragedy.

And his own damn fault.

So, that makes sense, right? With me so far?

Let's say you have a -2 in robotics. If you try to grab Tal's head, the possible rolls will look like this: 1,1,1,2,3,4. That's hardly any chance for safely retrieving my head. :P

If you have a +2 in robotics, if you try to grab Tal's head, the possible rolls will look like this: 3,4,5,5,5,6. That's a huge chance of safely retrieving Tal's head with no negative side effects - 50% (67% if you count the 6, too, which is an overshoot). If you get up to +5, you'll have a 100% chance of safely retrieving it.
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Name: isssss-hh (^kö) n'klß
Personal Information: isssss-hh (can be pronounced coincidently in many humanoid languages as "Bob") was meiosis-multiplied on the orbital k'Ryn. As a member of the ^kö species, he generates his timeline out of sync of other sentients, therefore he seems sometime (but very rarely) hyper active and fast, while usually he seems barely aware of his environment and to act only by instinct of conservation, which involves usually avoiding sweet drinks and licking sources of Barium anions, and sleeping close to a source of heat. At the relative age of 433, isssss-hh left the orbital to - quote - go forward in life. Issssss-hh simply wanted to upgrade to Lanthanium anions! His meiosis-cousins did not understand and isssss-hh knows that he will henceforth always be a stranger in his own ^kœ-culture. But he does not mind. He is different. During more than 400 relative periods, he was browsing the Galaxy (by sleeping on board of an illegally boarded garbage barge of those funny aliens that came from far away to take all the organic waste of transmuted Barium anions (the digestive system of the ^kö fuse two anions of Barium and obtain the energy by transmuting and absorbing 20 protons) ) until he was found by the captain....
Personality: The person in sync with his timeline consider him strange. For the persons outside of his sync, he is even stranger. But nice. Well, he would be nice if he could communicate with the others, but all these aliens act strangely, so he mostly keeps to himself. Nicely. And dream of Lanthanium anions while sucking Barium sticks.
Reason your character got REKT: Found as a clandestine passenger on board of a military grade nuclear ship "The Pretty Dangerous - But Fair In A Fight - Stellar Expolser"

Stats:
  Energy: +2
  Durability: +2
  Maneuverability: -2
  Hacking Systems: -2
  Computer: -2
  PSI Unit: -2
  Robotics: -2
  Engines: -2

Skills:
  Charisma: -2
  Intuition: +2
  Handiwork: -2
  Conventional Weapons: -2
  Unconventional Weapons: -2
  Exotic: +2
  General Knowledge: -2
  Auxiliary: -2

Purchases:
- 2 creds, barium anion sticks
- 1 cred, waste holding bag (lead-coated)
- 2 creds, portable infra-red heating system connected to a solar collector (no battery, works only when exposed to sunlight)

((Default action: hide in the pocket of the warmest player while absently licking a barium stick))

Did I mention some physical specs?

Size: 12.5 cm
Weight: 32 kg
Density: 8.3542 kg/l
Number of arms, legs and other appendices: 13 and growing a 14th

I can't decide if you're pulling my leg or legitimately serious... I'm leaning towards legitimately serious because I've noticed you went back and changed a few things. It's all good but for a couple details.

1. I didn't put those in the armory. I can get them for you, provided you tell me what they are/what they're for. If they're as mundane as they sound, they'll probably only cost you 1 cred each. You will, however, be totally defenseless. Not generally a good idea.
2. At 12.5 cm you're not going to be able to reach the controls in the cockpit. Sorry, but not gonna happen. Also, we don't make custom weapon sizes, and I know you didn't bring any of your own - we would've confiscated them. It's a prison ship, after all.
3. 32 kg is fairly heavy for a 12.5 cm creature. Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.
4. You have one more -2 in both your stats and skills than you need. If you're trying to give yourself a challenge, that's fine - but you're going to have a hard enough time as it is. Just wanted to point that out.
5. I'm not going to be able to deal with unusual timeline stuff.
6. You absolutely need to be able to communicate with your teammates. Can't allow a character that can't do that.
7. Your size/weight/density don't quite match up.
8. I reserve the right to Rule 0 anything that I think is gamebreaking.

Also, would like to thank you for permitting me the option of calling him Bob. :P

Talvieno wrote:I can't decide if you're pulling my leg or legitimately serious... I'm leaning towards legitimately serious because I've noticed you went back and changed a few things. It's all good but for a couple details.

1. I didn't put those in the armory. I can get them for you, provided you tell me what they are/what they're for. If they're as mundane as it sounds, they'll probably only cost you 1 cred each. You will, however, be totally defenseless. Not generally a good idea.
2. At 12.5 cm you're not going to be able to reach the controls in the cockpit. Sorry, but not gonna happen. Also, we don't make custom weapon sizes, and I know you didn't bring any of your own - we would've confiscated them. It's a prison ship, after all.
3. 32 kg is fairly heavy for a 12.5 cm creature. Nothing wrong with that, just interesting.
4. You have two more -2s in both your stats and skills than you need. If you're trying to give yourself a challenge, that's fine - but you're going to have a hard enough time as it is. Just wanted to point that out.
5. I'm not going to be able to deal with unusual timeline stuff.
6. You absolutely need to be able to communicate with your teammates. Can't allow a character that can't do that.
7. Your size/weight/density don't quite match up.
8. I reserve the right to Rule 0 anything that I think is gamebreaking.

Also, would like to thank you for permitting me the option of calling him Bob. :P
Both. This is intended to be partly a comic relief, but partly it can be "unconventionally" useful. It can fusion (slowly) some metal ions, so could for instance slowly eat himself through a prison door; it generates low amount of Uranium, so can be used to mark something or to make a detector crazy.
I envision an irregular participation of myself, and otherwise being "used" as a prop be another user which has me in his pocket.
The rule is: as soon as every other players has described an action, the turn is completed and we consider I am out of sync, so passive (and the "timeline" stuff is a convenient excuse for my absence). When I am around, I may describe an action (and you may allow a bit more in one round as it is an active phase).

With regards to your other points:
1. The objects I have are basically unuseful, but tasty or allowing sleeping in warmth :).
2. I don't intend to control the ship, but to hide in another player's pocket.
3. Hence the mentioned high density....
4. Many activities are not really possible for my morphology, which is why I put many -2.
5. I explained what I meant with the timeline sync above
6. I can communicate. But I may fall out of sync during a discussion...
7. Depends on the shape, no? I need about 4 liters, so a sphere of 21cm. So obviously I am broader that tall; it is not nice to criticize somebody because he is not slim :P
8. Obviously.

Let me be honest: this simply would add some chaos once in a while, but cannot be taken seriously - and I probably will not participate with a serious regularity. If you want a "serious" RPG, let's just let it be. If you intend to not take your own rules seriously, than why not. It's really depending on the type of game you wanna have.

I'll allow it, provided one of the other players wants to take you along with them. :) I had to give it a bit of thought, because I do want this to be a serious (but fun/humorous) RPG, and I can't honestly see your character causing nearly as much chaos as everybody is already going to be facing. However, I do want you to join in if you'd like. I'd be against it if you were overpowered, but you're not. Actually, I think you'll probably make the game more difficult for whoever had you with them... so, to compensate, anyone that volunteers to take you along stands to gain extra performance credits just for that - for keeping an eye on an allied teammate. (Provided they survive, of course. I sincerely hope that ^kö have brains we can scoop up and put in a robotic body in case you get splattered. lol)

Anyway, borderline case, got through because I don't think you could be considered a true player in the sense that everybody else would be. :P

Fun indeed. I will honestly be highly surprised if somebody doesn't become shrapnel or a wall stain this first mission. :P

And, yes... bringing along a cargo pod would likely be a very good idea. lol

Did I explain the explanation of the roll adjustments well enough, or were you asking about something else?

Online Now