Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Space Engineers Dev Releases Source & $100K

The developer of Space Engineers, in an effort to support and encourage modding of their game, has released the full source code on GitHub.

And although they haven't decided yet how to grant it, they have set aside $100K to fund projects that mod Space Engineers. They will also handle PR and marketing of mods.

I can think of at least one other game I'd like to see follow this path.

Gamasutra story is here.
Re: Space Engineers Dev Releases Source & $100K

Talking with Josh in mumble, I think he is keeping engine code to himself (Graphics algorithms, core architecture which allows in-game compiling and crash reports, etc) but he is giving us everything else. It will be pretty much open to anyone who wants to make something with it.

Open Source and free though? I believe Josh said something along the lines of making LT code opensource a few years after release, probably a little bit after LT2 :D

But we need word of god first
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Hyperion wrote:Talking with Josh in mumble, I think he is keeping engine code to himself (Graphics algorithms, core architecture which allows in-game compiling and crash reports, etc) but he is giving us everything else. It will be pretty much open to anyone who wants to make something with it.

Open Source and free though? I believe Josh said something along the lines of making LT code opensource a few years after release, probably a little bit after LT2 :D

But we need word of god first
With the current architecture, LT is basically going to be open-source, because you'll be able to mod anything. The two kind of go hand-in-hand :P The engine, however, will remain closed-source for some time. I don't really think it's important whether the engine is open-source or not, since I will continue to improve on it and since the entirety of the game (the stuff you guys really care about) is going to be essentially open-source.

Eventually, if there comes a day when I move far beyond LT 1.0 and leave that engine behind, I will opensource it so that the community can keep upgrading it (but at that point...I mean, I will probably have released the next LT, so why not just come play that? :P )
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

JoshParnell wrote:With the current architecture, LT is basically going to be open-source, because you'll be able to mod anything. The two kind of go hand-in-hand :P The engine, however, will remain closed-source for some time. I don't really think it's important whether the engine is open-source or not, since I will continue to improve on it and since the entirety of the game (the stuff you guys really care about) is going to be essentially open-source.

Eventually, if there comes a day when I move far beyond LT 1.0 and leave that engine behind, I will opensource it so that the community can keep upgrading it (but at that point...I mean, I will probably have released the next LT, so why not just come play that? :P )
Considering I'm one of the none computer professionals that haunt these forums and on several occasions have found your explanations of the dark arts you practice somewhat obscure I find your response here makes perfect sense, Josh. :angel:

:shifty: I think that amounts to some sort of endorsement of your reasoning but it's mainly offered as evidence of my willingness to enter strange and sometimes intimidating threads contained in areas of the LT forums where "Here be Dragons" notices have been liberally nailed to the walls. :angel:

"Technical" being one of the most daunting and terrifying of the kind.

Flatfingers wrote:The developer of Space Engineers, in an effort to support and encourage modding of their game, has released the full source code on GitHub.
So, for anyone who has seen the source, how much work is required to get space engineers source (SES) to work like LT?
I'd love to give it a whirl as I'm finding alk computer games quite lacklustre as if late.
:(
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Hyperion wrote: Open Source and free though? I believe Josh said something along the lines of making LT code opensource a few years after release, probably a little bit after LT2 :D
That's "id software style". John Carmack et al blew me away when they started to release the sources of their games after some time the technology wasn't so relevant anymore. Heck, they even did it with Doom3, which is really an awesome way to learn how an actual industry grade professional successful money earning game is developed.

drLight wrote:
Hyperion wrote: Open Source and free though? I believe Josh said something along the lines of making LT code opensource a few years after release, probably a little bit after LT2 :D
That's "id software style". John Carmack et al blew me away when they started to release the sources of their games after some time the technology wasn't so relevant anymore. Heck, they even did it with Doom3, which is really an awesome way to learn how an actual industry grade professional successful money earning game is developed.
Indeed - I'm currently working my way through the Doom 3 source code review by Fabien Sanglard
http://fabiensanglard.net/doom3/

but I got diverted by the Doom3 SDK documentation page, and happily getting lost in John Carmack vids on Quake
https://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/code.php

I am finding some nice examples from Mr Carmack of what Josh has recently encountered with accessing scripts and performance related problems.
Real interesting stuff :thumbup:
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Online Now