Return to “Everything & Anything”

Re: Amira Willighagen

Saw her on Youtube and it is still one of the best auditions ever,the gentle sarcasm from the male Dutch dude about her song as Amira stated she would sing one of the most difficult arias ever composed and he asked jokingly would he need ear protection. :roll:

Was met with the guy literally picking his jaw up of the floor and eating a lot of humble pie !!,and declaring Amira to be a musical prodigy as she also taught her self from You tube videos. :shock:

And as they cut to the green room to the shocked face of the female contestant that heard Amira's stunning voice from the live stage just knew she had heard the outright winner. :D

Flatfingers wrote:Wow. That is... remarkable.

I can only imagine what she will sound like after some months of breathing lessons and practicing. (If you think "breathing lessons" sounds funny, you are not a singer. ;) )

Now, please excuse me, as I seem to have something in my eyes....
Yeah considering this was off the cuff no training she is likened to Jackie Evancho and her American audition but she was at least trained Amira with no training just winged it which is even more amazing,no doubt with some help Amira could become a legend. 8-)

My father was a concert tenor and my mother played string bass in the orchestra. I grew up around this kind of stuff so I have a pretty good understanding of just how good she is. Unfortunately, I didn't inherit that much talent. I played piano but was never very good, (short fingers) and I have an OK singing voice. I did play drums in marching band and tympani in the concert band but haven't played either one in over 30 years.
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

This video was posted today on Amira's You Tube channel. I would guess at this point in time she's 14. She's turning into a lovely young woman and still has that amazing voice.

https://youtu.be/GcAOAxQNono
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

Gunther Haldan wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:54 pm
This video was posted today on Amira's You Tube channel. I would guess at this point in time she's 14. She's turning into a lovely young woman and still has that amazing voice.

https://youtu.be/GcAOAxQNono

My gosh, that was nice. I see (and hear) her breathing's improved. :D

But you know what I like the most about that performance? It's simple. There are none of the bizarre vocal gyrations -- the stuff I call "technical warbling" -- that other singers throw in around every note. Amira isn't doing that here. Other than a single brief barely-a-trill (repeated a couple of times), she's just singing the notes. That's harder to do, and she does it beautifully.

IronDuke wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:27 pm
the bizarre vocal gyrations -- the stuff I call "technical warbling" -- that other singers throw in around every note.
I think that might be called vibrato?

Ha.

Here's the kind of nonsense I'm talking about: https://youtu.be/XffxvV1PAEI?t=235

And this: https://youtu.be/XffxvV1PAEI?t=698

Technical warbling: vocal gymnastics that try to show off the singer's ability to throw in lots of different notes somewhere in the vicinity of the actual note of the song, which if just sung naturally -- as Amira Willighagen does -- is gorgeous.

IronDuke wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Flatfingers wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:27 pm
the bizarre vocal gyrations -- the stuff I call "technical warbling" -- that other singers throw in around every note.
I think that might be called vibrato?
There was a Radio talk show host here in Atlanta Ga. years ago that referred to that as "Urban Yodeling".

Online Now