Return to “Creative Writing”

The Great Fast - Survival Journals

The following stories were written by members of the Limit Theory community. Feel free to add your own personal experiences to those below as we wait for the return of Josh Parnell.

Please PM me if I'm missing any existing entries and I'll add them in chronological order.

Postby MyNameWuzTaken » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:19 pm
*Excerpt from MyNameWuzTaken's survival journal*

Day #1 - Things are tense at the camp. The weekly rations didn't arrive today. It's not like it's uncommon for drops to

be late, but still... The war was supposed to be won by now. With no victory in sight and with the "weekly" drops coming

in later and later, the camp is dividing into two parties. The Joshuits continue to sing the praises of the empire,

while rebellion stirs in the seedier parts of the camp. I'm not sure which group I belong to yet. I just know I have a

duty to my wife and my sweet Rebecca. I'm not sure I can handle having to tell them that we will go hungry gain tonight.

Day #2 - Still no drop. We had to break out some of our stores. The Joshuites and the Separatists had a fight over

whether we would re-watch Dev- update #17 or Dev- update #20, and then they couldn't decide which week of of the Dev-

logs should be read at the daily reading. One of the Separatists pulled a gun on a Joshuit for being a "fanboy". He was

banned immediately. It was... horrible. I've never seen someone banned before. There was blood everywhere.

Day #4 - Yesterday was a busy day. Several of the Joshuits staged a raid on the Separatist side of camp during the

night. I was recruited by the Moderators to help with the clean up. There were a few injured in the fighting, but no

casualties, thank Josh. It was exhausting and I didnt have time to write after the day's labor. I fell asleep as soon as

my head hit the pillow.

Today I didn't even get out of bed to go watch for the supply drop. The mood in the camp is infectious, and the Joshuits

continuous preaching on every forum topic isn't helping. Eventually it just starts to sound... like a lot of Bullshit.

The Empires intentions aren't important. If the drop comes too late, we'll all have starved. Dear Josh I'm starting to

sound like a separatist. I just wish things could be like in the old days when we had a supply drop every day, even if

it was only a small one. It was just nice to know that... That Josh isn't KILL.

Day #5 - Probably one of the better days of waiting. The pressure is off. I went down to the suggestions forums and

bought a bunch of theory crafting. Its insane how good this stuff is. Half of it doesnt make sense and doesn't

contribute to the empire or the camp, but man does it help pass the time. I haven't therycrafted in a long time, and I

ended up a little bit sick. I can already tell I'm gonna have a headache tomorrow, which sucks because Its my turn to

watch for the drop.

Day #6 - Rebecca asked me today why Josh doesn't love us anymore. I told her That Josh did love us, he's just gone north

for a while. Then I held her and we cried.

Day #7 - Everyone is getting a little weak. We had to put off grocery shopping, bathing, and gaming today because we

just didn't have the energy. My wife and I fought over the next Dev-update and I stormed out, but couldn't make it to

the end of the street before the depression made me go home and get back into bed.

Day #8 - I think the neighbor's are watching me from their windows. I was watching all of the Dev updates in order today

when I saw someone watching from the window. It was another forum user. I hope they aren't coming to take my Dev

Updates.

Day #9 - Early this morning, someone hacked my computer to get my high res updates. They didn't leave anything. I

screamed at my monitor for hours, but it didn't help. "They're available for free online!" I said. They didn't listen.

Now its all gone. Then, to kick me while I was down, they uploaded a copy of X-rebirth to my hardrive... IN THE SAME

STATE IT WAS RELEASED IN. I swear everyone in the camp is losing their humanity.

Day #10 - I'm sick of trains. I logged in today and there were trains everywhere. I never thought I'd see the day when I

would wish for an "I haz Cheezburger" meme, but that day has come. I HATE trains. All trains should die. Except maybe a

train picture with "I Haz Cheezburger" underneath it. I could probably handle that.

*To be continued...*

Postby MyNameWuzTaken » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:08 am
Day #9 - yesterday was crazy. I was trying to distract myself from the pain by playing some "darkest dungeon". The RNG

is strong in that one. I was frustrated out of my mind and about ready to quit gaming all together when I heard

screaming coming from outside. A man I'd never seen before was running through the streets. He wore sackcloth and had

covered his head in ashes. You could see the tear streaks from his tears in the ash that covered his face. "Josh has

spokem to me! Josh is back!"

The reaction was unbelievable. People were streaming through the streets, searching for Josh in every forum. I joined

right along with them, and I have to admit, some of the forums had that distinct feeling that josh had been there. The

search went on for hours. Finally we returned home defeated.

The truth came out this morning as we gathered to search again. The crazy old man in sackcloth had just seen an old post

from SEPTEMBER, promising the dev update would release soon. SEPTEMBER.

I just... GGGGaaaagggh!

Postby DWMagus » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:40 am
I couldn't help but jump on the bandwagon and perform my own copycat journal...

Forum Date 2.04.01 AF

I've decided to write down my thoughts as an outlet, though I'm not sure if it'll help.

The hardest part of my day is waking up, and seeing no new info from Josh. I trust my commanding officer, and I

trust our leader, and I know he won't ever forsake us. But when I stand at the front line, and I see the pain and

frustrations on everyone's face, I can't help but feel their anger as well. At heart, I am still one of them. I was a

Joshuit before I rose to my position, and I will remain a Joshuit. Maybe that's where my anger stems from.

It seems the separatists and Joshuits have come to some sort of unspoken truce for the time being, but I think they

just don't want to talk about the elephant in the room.

Usually, my days are filled with graffiti clean-up and bot removal, but even that has been dying down. I guess it

says something if even the bots won't come by.

I trust our community, but I know that some of the more patient ones are starting to feel the stress. One of them

was even running near-naked through the streets, babbling about finding Josh, but I didn't have the heart to take away

the poor sod's hope and tell him that he read the date of the post wrong. All I could do was just shake my head and

stand vigilant.

Postby MyNameWuzTaken » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:35 am
Day #10 - Today the camp gathered for a town meeting in the place we normally discuss the supply drops. The fear that

crippled us during the first few days after the missed drop is beginning to subside. Now we are driven by a base,

instinctual need for survival. Something has to be done.

The meeting starts the same way they always do; with a discussion about sacrifices to volcanoes, hype trains, and

various meme's and fan art. Once the niceties are observed, someone calls us to topic. The first speaker almost always

suggests that we have been mistreated by the empire, and that we should defect. The crowd grumbles, but other speakers

step forward. All of the naysayers are the first to speak, while the Joshuite's prepare their tried and true arguments

while hearing all the complaints.
You can see it in their faces as they formulate rebuttals. One raised eyebrow means that they have heard it before. Two

raised eyebrows means they are hunting for the correct counter. A frown means the speaker is dangerously close to

hanging.
But somehow, the Joshuit's frowned less and the complaints were spoken with more force. I just stayed silent as I

usually do, watching, as speaker after speaker posted their opinion and speculated on where Josh had gone. Nothing was

accomplished except that a cloud of negativity hung over the camp. The empire knew its citizens were unhappy, and the

citizens know that Josh does care, wherever he may have gone. I left the gathering early, depressed again. Oh Josh,

where art thou?

Then later that day I was drawn to a crowd gathering outside of the camp. The people were shaking hands and hugging with

a family who stood ready by a van, all of their belongings packed inside. I didn't recognize them so I didn't go speak

with them, but I was able to overhear some of their conversation. This is what was said:

"Are you sure about this?"

"Yes I'm sure. I won't let my children grow up in a world without space sims."

"But... Eve online... To get anywhere in that game you would have to have started years ago. And it's so boring most of

the time."

"I know, but I have to make a living somehow. And at least I can watch Netflix while I wait for my mining lasers to

cycle, so that's not so bad. And hey, I can get a jump start because it's so easy to buy in-game currency."

"Oh yeah, I didn't think about that. It's almost kind of pointless isn't it?"

"Yeah, except it's in space, which is awesome."

"Totally."

"So I'll be at poker night Friday?"

"Yeah man of course! We need a fourth. Have Cheryl make that fantastic avocado dip again. That stuff was great."

"I know it is right? She got the recipe off of Pinterest. I never thought I would say it but I'm glad that site exists

now. The avocado dip kind of changed my mind. Though I do wish she would stop turning wine bottles into lamps."

The man's wife, eyes brimming with tears, joined in:

Wife: "Oh you love those lamps. They're pretty."

Man: "no I don't. They aren't bright enough to see anything with. They're just dark glass with Christmas lights inside.

They serve no good purpose at all."

Man 2: "he's totally right Cheryl, those lamps are worthless."

Wife: "humph"

I turned away. I could bear to watch Josh's absence tear apart family's and community's. Today has left me with a lot to

reflect on.

Postby DWMagus » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:19 am

Forum Date 2.04.05

People have begun to wonder if the Josh is okay. He's disappeared before, but never for a stretch as long as this.

If history has taught us anything, he's still watching, albeit without his presence being known. Someone once told me

"If you do a good job, then people will wonder if you were ever involved in the first place" -- I wonder if the Josh

feels the same way. I'm sure he's watching from afar.

I've been walking the emptying threads as more and more people are staying silent. I'm pretty sure they're still

there though, waiting in silence from their abodes rather than speaking up. No one wants to believe that Josh has gone,

and even those that believe that still seem to be clinging onto their hope.

The only places people seem to gather now are for commiserating on Josh's absence or to speak about what other

deities have been creating in their abodes. We gained quite a few refugees throughout the months, but I'm afraid that

we'll have some convert to the other forums. I can't blame them. When our leader goes silent, there's not much else you

can do.

I'll just keep this place in order and keep mentally preparing myself for the giant ships of converts that will

inevitably come when we get our next set of supplies.

Postby MyNameWuzTaken » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:21 pm
MyNameWuzTaken's Survival Guide
Day... I can't remember how many days it's been. I think thirteen? Maybe twelve. In the time that has passed since my

last journal, I have been in meditation. I have recited all of the dev logs, from the beginning until the end.
"In the beginning, Josh switched internal physics engines from OPCODE to Bullet." and "More details on HUD work

tomorrow. Once again, now, sleep." These are my alpha and omega. In my meditation it has become clear to me. Sleep.

Sleep. This is not a famine from which we wont return. This is simply the day of rest, from which a new, glorious era of

LT development will be born! I can see it so clearly in my minds eye.

And as I knelt, head bowed, it was as if the hand of Josh rested on my back, and he whispered words in my ear.

"Be back soon :)"

I wept. I wept and recited the dev logs for many hours, before I realized that I must spread the word! And so I ran to

the market to spread the good news! I must go, for there is more work to be done!

End Log

"I thought you loved those wine lamps. I remember asking you, and you said you loved them!"
Steve pushed the shopping cart as his wife walked beside him. He didn't need to answer her question. If he did, things

would only get worse. He just had to let her tire herself out, and she would fall asleep in the car ride home.

"Are you listening to me? I don't think your listening to me. You never listen!"
"I am listening hun. I love you. Did I tell you that knew sweater is great?" Steve droned the words.
"Really? you like it?"
"Oh yeah. Green is definitely one of the many colors that look fantastic on you."
"It was on sale!"
Relief washed over Steve as his wife changed the subject. It had been two days since he had started playing Eve online.

Tonight was poker night with the guys. Life was good. Or atleast, that's how it looked to everyone who wasn't Steve. On

the inside, he was dying. He missed LT... so much.

"OMG look at that man." He followed his wife's pointing finger and saw a man streaking across the Kroger parking lot.

"JOSH HAS NOT ABANDONED US! I HAVE WORD! THE JOSH HAS SPOKEN TO ME!" The man was jumping up and down as he ran, causing

a very unpleasant... ripple effect. Steve hardly noticed.
"Is that MyNameWuzTaken?" The question was rhetorical. He knew the man from his days at the camp. They had never spoken,

but he would occasionally post something that the Joshuites would tear to shreds. It had been both horrible and

hilarious to observe. MyNameWuzTaken noticed him and ran across the parking lot.

"Eww he's naked!"
Steve covered his wife's eyes and left the cart where it was, pushing her towards the car. "Just ignore him hun. Some

people just take space Sim's too seriously." But inside, Steve knew he would have to seek out this prophet, and learn of

Josh's return. But first, he had to go mine in Eve online, just in case. I mean, the guy was naked in the parking lot of

a Kroger. He could just be bat shit crazy.

Postby MyNameWuzTaken » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:35 pm
MyNameWuzTaken's Survival Journal
Day 13. Definitely Day 13.

I awoke with a sharp pain between my temples. Pressure seemed to build behind my eyes and focus itself on that point

where the bridge of your nose meets your forehead. I felt nausea rear its ugly head, and I aimed away from my laptop

just in case. The wave of bile settled and I breathed in. The room felt too hot. I needed a shower. My pants are gone.

I looked at my computer screen and knew instantly that I had done far too much theorycrafting the night before. It's

been a problem for me in the past. I'm just the kind of person who can't write just one forum post. The first one leaves

my finger tips, and the next thing I know I'm pounding out another. The next morning, I can't remember anything I wrote.

Come to think of it, I can't remember much of the past two days... That's almost a record bender for me. It's a good

thing my wife took Rebecca to visit her grandparents this weekend.

Somehow though, aside from the pounding headache, the sweating, and the sickness, I feel calm. Something has happened in

the past few days that I can't put my finger on, but its quieted the storm in my mind. For the first time in a week and

a half, I feel like I can breathe. I ponder this as I shower, and fragments of memory come back to me.

Be back soon :)

I hear it faintly, as if carried on the wind, and I almost drop the blender I just mixed a Theorycrafting recovery shake

in. It was spoken in a voice that is forever seared into my mind after 22 dev updates that I've watched a thousand

times. Peace fills me. I smile, and drink some of my shake. I'm no longer afraid that my faith is just a comfortable

delusion. I drink some more of my shake. Needs more ibuprofein I think, pain spiking in my head as I toss another tab

into the blender.

A few hours later, there's a knock on my front door, loud and insistent. I wince, but make my way to the front door. I

swing the door wide.

"Oh thank god, you're dressed." A man is standing at my door. I recognize him from the camp. He's the same man who moved

his family a few days ago to play Eve Online.
"My name's Steve. I know of you, but we've never officially met." He offers me a hand and I shake it, awkwardly. The

light from outside hurts my eyes. Steve holds out a pair of jeans to me.
"I found these in the tree out front. I assumed they were yours. You gave my wife quite the scare the other day." I'm

confused. I take the pair of pants from him, which are indeed mine. I feel sluggish. 'What do you mean?"
He looks at me, amused. "You don't remember running naked through the Kroger parking lot, screaming about the good

news?" I wince. "Again? I haven't done that since college." Too much information for a person I just met. I am slow this

morning though. Things remain awkwardly quiet for a while.
"Okay, well, thanks for my pants," I offer weakly, waving the pair of jeans at him. I start to close the door. His hand

stops it.
"Wait! Is it true? Is Josh really returning?" I stop trying to close the door. I glance over my shoulder, into my house,

and then look at Steve. His face looks desperate. Eve online must be slowly killing him. I feel pity. a war wages inside

of me, and for a while it seems the headache is winning. Then my merciful, patient side wins out over self interest. I

open the door.
"Come on. I'll show you." I gesture back into my house, towards my office.
A line from field of dreams runs through my head. If you run, naked and screaming, through a Kroger parking lot, they

will come. Or something like that. I don't know. It's a long movie and I never really paid much attention to it. I think

it had to do with farming and baseball. Whatever.

To be continued...

Postby BFett » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:21 pm
It has been a rough month on the forums. Josh Parnell, our brave leader had departed from the internet camp and cocooned himself within his coding cave. Many in the camp fear the worst, while others seem to continue to encourage and inspire the masses. One man, with the help of his friends, has attempted to take the sacred texts of Josh and interpret them. His task is a challenging one, review over two years of information, categorize it, and reprint it.

New faces appear as the delay for the daily drop increases. Several riots have occurred and conversations have been split. These are dark times.

~BFett

Postby DWMagus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:01 pm
Forum Date 2.06.00 AF

I was awoken by the deafening roar of the crowds outside. I didn't want it to be a riot. I knew tensions had been tight, but I prayed that it hadn't spilled over. I grabbed my gear, prepared for the worst, but when I opened the door, I too was just as shocked as the others.

A grin crept across my face as I looked on, the message was being constantly repeated by the rest of the community with cheering after each repetition. "Josh has spoken."

I didn't have anything to say. There wasn't anything I could say. It may not be the exact thing that people wanted, but it was information from their deity himself. I stashed my iron fish back in it's cabinet and picked up my broom instead. There would be a lot of sweeping up to do today.

Postby BFett » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:18 am
I awoke in the middle of the night to a great roar. Lightning struck three times and from the darkness a light emerged. I couldn't believe my eyes, Josh, the one whose texts I had so diligently worked on had emerged from his coding cave to speak with his loyal followers. He told a great tale, one in which he had fought and concord a great beast. Morning came, and with it hundreds of citizens from near by villages. The fast had ended, never again would the villagers have to wait this length of time for information. The journey down the road to beta had just begun.
Last edited by BFett on Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: The Great Fast - Survival Journals

Great idea bringing these all together. Now, for today's.
Forum Date 2.06.00 AF

I was awoken by the deafening roar of the crowds outside. I didn't want it to be a riot. I knew tensions had been tight, but I prayed that it hadn't spilled over. I grabbed my gear, prepared for the worst, but when I opened the door, I too was just as shocked as the others.

A grin crept across my face as I looked on, the message was being constantly repeated by the rest of the community with cheering after each repetition. "Josh has spoken."

I didn't have anything to say. There wasn't anything I could say. It may not be the exact thing that people wanted, but it was information from their deity himself. I stashed my iron fish back in it's cabinet and picked up my broom instead. There would be a lot of sweeping up to do today.
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Scytale wrote:I recall the discussion surrounding the iron fish, just not very well =P I think it started from a typo?
The very same kind of typo that started a war between the curves and the angles. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

I awoke in the middle of the night to a great roar. Lightning struck three times and from the darkness a light emerged. I couldn't believe my eyes, Josh, the one whose texts I had so diligently worked on had emerged from his coding cave to speak with his loyal followers. He told a great tale, one in which he had fought and concord a great beast. Morning came, and with it hundreds of citizens from near by villages. The fast had ended, never again would the villagers have to wait this length of time for information. The journey down the road to beta had just begun.

Online Now