Return to “Games”

Cities: Skylines

As an avid SimCity fan, should I get this? Who else has it already? Can you give your opinion?

I have Cities in Motion 2, but just dealing with the transportation got a little old quick. Yay or Nay?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.
Re: Cities: Skylines

Definitely get it. This game is amazing. I've already played it for 16 hours and I've only had it a few days which for me is a lot. It is intuitive. Easy to pick up, yet still very deep in the simulation department. And it's amazingly fun. Basically, if you like SimCity. Definitely get this. It is what the latest incarnation of SimCity should have been, minus the multiplayer. Which personally I think would be nice, but as an added feature not as the foundation for the entire game.

I watched a lengthy Twitch stream of it. Dude named his city "Steve" after his wife tossed out a random name, then immediately drew roads in the shape of a Hookshot from The Legend of Zelda. He placed residential zones all around the roads, then when he realized that he needed a Hospital type thing, and had nowhere to put it, he decided to demolish one or two houses in particular in the middle of the road and placed the hospital there.

The moment he demolished the houses, every house in a ten block radius erupted in extraordinary amounts of happiness. We were all dumbfounded. We had to justify it by saying things like "Wow, that guy was a dick." Or "He kept all his neighbors up at night with his Yorkshire Terrier barking all night. He was a Terrierist. He needed to go."

I don't think the game has any natural disasters though. I mean except for a really bad player.
Welcome to Limit Theory where everything is procedural and the post count doesn't matter. ~Grumblesaur
12 FPS on your abacus? Sheesh, check out Mr Moneybags here. I can squeeze maybe 5 FPS out of my potato, and that's when I'm overclocking it. ~ThymineC

ShadowTiger wrote:I watched a lengthy Twitch stream of it. Dude named his city "Steve" after his wife tossed out a random name, then immediately drew roads in the shape of a Hookshot from The Legend of Zelda. He placed residential zones all around the roads, then when he realized that he needed a Hospital type thing, and had nowhere to put it, he decided to demolish one or two houses in particular in the middle of the road and placed the hospital there.

The moment he demolished the houses, every house in a ten block radius erupted in extraordinary amounts of happiness. We were all dumbfounded. We had to justify it by saying things like "Wow, that guy was a dick." Or "He kept all his neighbors up at night with his Yorkshire Terrier barking all night. He was a Terrierist. He needed to go."

I don't think the game has any natural disasters though. I mean except for a really bad player.
Yeah, as far as I know it doesn't have any either, but don't let that fool you into thinking nothing bad happens. For example in my latest save (I've made 3 cities in the last I think 3 days of having the game) and there are plenty of things you have to keep in check like the one that currently plagues (ha ha ha plague) my latest city is that everyone seems to all be dying at the same time. And while I used to have enough hearses and cemeteries to deal with the proverbial piling up of bodies.

If you look at the skulls you'll see people really unhappy about dead bodies that hearses haven't come to collect. It was a lot worse but I'd already fixed the problem relatively when I took this screenshot. There were a lot and I mean A LOT more. Now the 'issues" icons that hover over places start off as brown as an issue that needs resolving but not critical and not going to lead to bad things. When the background of them turns red as in this screenshot, you know it's bad. That's pretty much when they have to be fixed soon. Then you'll see some icons above that area showing abandoned properties. Can you guess why they were abandoned? Yup. DEAD PEOPLE! So issues do arise... they're just not as bad as disasters in other Sim "City" games. Like for example crime, fire sickness all become issues and can be pretty bad if you don't take care of it. But I've yet to see any major big like "event" issue that can wipe out your whole city that you have to deal with. Which might be interesting, but in all truthfulness I never liked those because of the random "gamey" nature of them. I mean they didn't seem like they actually had any point other than providing the player with the challenge of a cleanup effort. Furthermore there was nothing more annoying than getting a really good city going only to have a random natural disaster come along and wipe out all your hard work. Yes, some people like that but I am not one of those people.

P.S. Yes, I'm aware my city sucks. Also one of the things I really love about this that always bugged me about SimCity 2/3/4 is the fact that it doesn't actually cost anything to zone. And if you are careful you never have to fiddle too much with the budget sliders just to get your city rolling. I remember in SimCity you pretty much had to drop down budget allocations on most things right off the bat to keep from being in the red on your budget. In this you don't really have to much. You can, and it does help but it's not a necessity.

I got it recently. Def another +1 from me. It's a fun city builder, and doesn't screech to a halt halfway like Cities XL, not even on my Intel card. It has some odd quirks you can possibly bring up (and people bring them up), but it's an all in all solid performer, a much needed one in this genre. Sunk a few hours into it already, trying to make a sort of an organic expanse of a city, it is a disaster when your road network collapses under increased traffic. I've already got three spots that are constantly blocked D: Will post pics later.
panic

I love that the modding scene is riding a rocket: Tim Horton's is already in (Canadian intensifies!),
and ambient occlusion and other slick graphics mods, and even a (crappy little) flight simulator thing!

On my wishlist for hypothetically possible DLC from Colossal Order (or if modders somehow pull these off, more power to 'em!):
  • 'Night with Lights' (or whatever they decide to name it) -- I really do expect this one to happen. I mean, with Cities: Skylines for your title? Surely!
  • traffic collisions / pile-ups & explosions, better smoke from fires
  • weather (hopefully the disastrous variety as well, ie. huge snowfall or ice storm & snow removal / roadsalt mechanic, dangerously high winds, torrential downpour stressing out the sewage system)
  • more interesting crime with high speed chases and manhunts and standoffs with SWAT
Anyone else have a wishlist for this game? :squirrel:

edit: I'll probably do a proper mod wishlist sometime, but here's one that just occurred to me: integrated re-namer tool (on-the-spot name generator for buildings, vehicles, people and animals).
Last edited by Baile nam Fonn on Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"omg such tech many efficiency WOW" ~ Josh Parnell

Been playing for a few days now. Just heard about it myself.

Am quite enjoying it so far. My city has about 22k people in it. Looks like 220k. Still lots of room to build.

Performance has been quite good so far (unlike cities xl, and apparently xxl as well). Singleplayer only.

Lot of people playing, and looks like a real lively mod community already as well. Though, I've not delved too much into that scene. Just downloaded a couple of maps and a road interchange collection.

I want to amend my previous praise of this game. Not reducing it or anything. I just want to say that it is still an amazing game. But once you've played through a few cities to "completion" as in... gone through all the levels of progression... the game does become slightly difficult to pick back up and enjoy. Unless you're in a certain mood. This does not include mod usage, mod usage will probably increase your value considerably. I do not tend to like mods as much for games unless they're of professional quality, which sadly is rare.

It's still an amazing game. I've just noticed that after having played through a few large cities I personally am having trouble getting back into it.

TGS wrote:It's still an amazing game. I've just noticed that after having played through a few large cities I personally am having trouble getting back into it.
Try doing dumb shit.
Like damming off rivers and building cities inside the now dry riverbeds.
Or flooding the world, like a dwarf.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now