Return to “Scripting & Modding”

Re: Mod Ideas

so, another mod idea:

a "strange phenomenon" pack in the spirit of the SCP-Foundation or Dr. Who

"supernatural" phenomenon which could be dangerous, creepy, useful etc and get placed in the world at random places, spicing up exploration

but also force you to be a bit cautious not to trigger the more dangerous ones accidentally.

the phenomenons themself are completely removed from the usual balance of the game and could be cheaty or overpowered in usual game terms
or just completely different from anything else in the game.

examples of what im thinking about.

(danger, nightmare fuel inside)

Weeping Angels / SCP-173
SCP-087
SCP-106
SCP-294 (not nightmarish)
SCP-1981

i hope you get the idea :?

Flatfingers wrote: I do think there's a reasonable balance to be drawn between "breaking" and "working better." Racing around just keeping a system from falling apart is one kind of thoughtful gameplay -- designing strategies and implementing them with tactical effectiveness to create something new is a different kind of thoughtful gameplay. The balance between these two kinds of better-than-default gameplay will play a large role in determining the feel of the game.
yeah, definitely.

i guess for most of the time we can safely go with "working better" (i've also designed most of my suggestions with that gameplay in mind)

but then, where could we use the "breaking" approach? :think:

ehhhh I don't know cornflakes, scp is so good but the moment you make it interactive it loses its charm!

edit: BUT in the spirit of being constructive, having 'odd things' happen in the universe would be very interesting. Implementation is an important question~ elaborate!

further edit: are 087 and 1981 really applicable? maybe a space equivalent of 354? A nebula made of blood... wow. Just wow

Scytale wrote:ehhhh I don't know cornflakes, scp is so good but the moment you make it interactive it loses its charm!
SCP - Containment Breach seems to be fun, its a horror survival game, though.

but you are probably right :/
Scytale wrote: further edit: are 087 and 1981 really applicable? maybe a space equivalent of 354? A nebula made of blood... wow. Just wow
the 2 formers arent likely to be transferable, no, i just provided them for reference / "giving the idea".

Scytale wrote: Implementation is an important question~ elaborate!
087-esque things could be done as a series of wormholes or systems, actually many spatial anomalies could be done in such a way
but it would be interesting to create a sensor obscuring nebula, which depletes the player of all orientation, and have the player fly in (more or less forced) circles.

i dont think that we could generate such occurences completely from code, at most we could generate variations of known themes.
we'd probably have to hand craft many of those phenomenon.

considering the unique nature of most of the phenomenon we'd have to build unique code for each variation too
it'd be a ton of work.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:where could we use the "breaking" approach? :think:
One possibility might be Engineering: if you don't have someone working to find and repair low-level component failures, your ship's energy distribution efficiency begins to fall, gradually causing all of your energy-using systems to be less effective. With no attention, efficiency will fall to 50%, meaning you'll never be completely powerless but you'll definitely notice an improvement if you pay attention to fixing little problems.

I'm not saying I endorse this myself. I'm just offering a suggestion to try to explain the flavor of the "things break unless you keep them running" kind of gameplay that I distinguish from "permanent improvements can be created if you're perceptive and/or persistent enough" gameplay.

Hunter+ (Software Package)

Contains:
Contact info interface
Slicing program
Probe hack option
Probe data interface

Details:
Contact info interface: allows sorting, storage and prioritization of ship, corporation, and NPCs of interest. New items
and objects can be given a "tag" which can later be searched for. The player can add descriptions and locations of where
the object was last seen.

Slicing program MK1: Provides the ability to scan a ship's logs, cargo, and crew manifest. This is useful for those who wish to verify the identity of potential trade partners. (More advanced versions of this software may be able to bypass more advanced systems and alter information)

Probe hacking: In addition to the MK1 Slicing program's features the ability to hack probes is also possible. At the most basic level a hacked probe can notify the hacker when a ship is near its location. For mining probes, a notification will be sent out stating that the ore deposit at its location has decreased. More advanced probes (along with more advanced slicing programs) can relay specific ship data such as the type of ship, the strain on the mining laser, and other useful information.

Advanced Missiles:

Initial purpose is a solarsystem-wide defense.
These Missiles are stored in a stationary missile depot and automatically engage enemies within their range. But, due to their more efficient (and slower) engine, they typically have a range up to a whole solar system. Besides they can use space highways.

Typical scenario:
A pirate fleet tries to invade "my" solar system and destroys my first defense fleet after entering the system. But at the moment they appear on the radar a bunch of advanced missiles had been started and head towards this fleet. They inflict massive damage and weakens/delays/destroys the enemy.

Pro:
+ Massive Damage
+ High Range
+ Fast

Contra:
- High costs at building
- Weak vs. Flak-Frigates
- Small upkeep
- Only hits once
- Needs a lot of research

---------------
Additional Buildings:
Missile Depot (Various sizes)
Refueling Station (Range extender)

Missiles itself come in various sizes and are configurable (Ratio of Fuel/Explosives)
:D

Game-changer mod.

It was an idea by Hyperion way back, about a game mode that would randomize physics in every single solar system that you came across. I would very much like a mod that did that. :ghost:
Last edited by Idunno on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

ooooh that would be awesome! especially if it was more that something like changing how much drag is experienced.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Jetison333 wrote:ooooh that would be awesome! especially if it was more that something like changing how much drag is experienced.
Now that I think about it, a lot of the stuff discussed in that thread would make some really nice mods. :think: :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

Grumblesaur wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Josh has confirmed that including his music as a mod will be possible. I therefore present to you:
J.A.M.
Josh's Awesome Music mod
With this we could also theoretically mod in any music, even from other space games.
....so you're saying, it's a Space Jam?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

Online Now