Return to “General”

Re: The RTB discussion thread

Dinosawer wrote:Ah, the EC forums of which the legends speak? Some say they're only a myth...
The splendour of that place puts to shame many of the palaces of earthly myth and legend, Dinosawer, but Josh could do with hiring a noble cleaner to give the place a buff up. :D

And a drop of oil on the hinges of the magnificent entrance door would help to give those who use the place a better sense of the awesome privilege they have been granted when entering the main chamber. A squeaky door is not only irritating but does convey an air of neglect. :angel:

kaeroku wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:OR

He could just say hello, ask us to wish him well (which we do) and add a few smilies. ;)
:snip:
I would be perfectly fine with this.

Yeah, ditto. I genuinely hope he is alright, that's my biggest concern. The act of doubling down and pushing for those weekly updates was not a good sign to me.

I've lurked here off and on, and always just watched the update videos (I'm usually not a fan of forums) but after I realized there were no updates for a while I've been lurking a lot lot more. (posted even!) and I want the game just like everyone else here, but I'm more worried about Josh's life-work balance at the moment. Having worked in software dev I know it's never done even after launch so pacing a structure is more important in a lot of respects.

Given the lack of RTB, it seems to me that Josh has thrown in the towel. He knows how to do graphics programming, but has now realised he doesn't know how to make a game. I think he maybe has given up. That would probably be a good option for him though, as he would have spent all the crowd-funded money by now. His best course of action would be to chalk this up as a learning experience and use it as part of his portfolio. As we speak/type he's probably applying for a graphics programming job at an established company that requires this field of expertise. :eh:

intrepidis wrote:Given the lack of RTB, it seems to me that Josh has thrown in the towel. He knows how to do graphics programming, but has now realised he doesn't know how to make a game. I think he maybe has given up. That would probably be a good option for him though, as he would have spent all the crowd-funded money by now. His best course of action would be to chalk this up as a learning experience and use it as part of his portfolio. As we speak/type he's probably applying for a graphics programming job at an established company that requires this field of expertise. :eh:
JoshParnell wrote: And yet, something is different here...what could it be? Well, I will give you a hint: I've not changed substantially as a person, nor have I found some miracle drug to cure my anxiety :lol: So the remaining possibility? Am I actually, for once, confident that my work is exactly what is should be and is proceeding as fast as could be expected of me (or faster!?)

Yes. Yes I am. I can't remember, the last time I felt like this. Maybe Januray 2013 or so :ghost: I wake up each day with a vision of an infinite, procedural universe in my head, I go to bed with it, I live, eat, and breath Limit Theory right now. I have to make a concerted mental effort to remember to eat two meals a day, I nearly loose control of my bladder each time I need to use the bathroom, because just one more minute with my work will be worth that pain :ghost: :crazy: I've got a plan that's getting clearer every day, I've got a dream with which I'm falling back in love more and more each week, I've got an excitement that's setting me on fire more and more and more, and I've got a toolset that turns more and more miles into an inch each month. For once -- perhaps in the entire development process of LT -- I feel that I am living up to what you all expect of me. What a feeling. But more than that, it is the feeling that my dream is really, actually coming to life with alarming speed, right here on my screen. And that yes, it can actually be everything I wanted it to be.

[...]

Limit Theory is really happening, folks :] You have trusted me this far. You have trusted me when I was less motivated, less capable, less responsible, less passionate, and less disciplined than what I am now. So now -- all you've got to do is hang on. Hang on, and I promise you won't be disappointed. This is it.

:) :wave:
<3

yeah, this absolutely sounds like someone who is about to give up [/sarcasm]

intrepidis wrote:Given the lack of RTB, it seems to me that Josh has thrown in the towel. He knows how to do graphics programming, but has now realised he doesn't know how to make a game. I think he maybe has given up. That would probably be a good option for him though, as he would have spent all the crowd-funded money by now. His best course of action would be to chalk this up as a learning experience and use it as part of his portfolio. As we speak/type he's probably applying for a graphics programming job at an established company that requires this field of expertise. :eh:

???? Well, that's an interesting viewpoint. Is it dark in there?
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

intrepidis wrote:
Given the lack of RTB, it seems to me that Josh has thrown in the towel. He knows how to do graphics programming, but has now realised he doesn't know how to make a game. I think he maybe has given up. That would probably be a good option for him though, as he would have spent all the crowd-funded money by now. His best course of action would be to chalk this up as a learning experience and use it as part of his portfolio. As we speak/type he's probably applying for a graphics programming job at an established company that requires this field of expertise. :eh:

:|
Image I mean, how did you even get there dude? Have you seen the videos? It isn't like there isn't 2 years of dev logs and updates to prove SOMETHING resembling a GAME is, in fact, in existence.

Edited for clarification/exposition.
Libertas per Technica

Image Yeah, I just wanted an excuse to post a reaction GIF. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

JoshParnell wrote:Limit Theory is really happening, folks :] You have trusted me this far. You have trusted me when I was less motivated, less capable, less responsible, less passionate, and less disciplined than what I am now. So now -- all you've got to do is hang on. Hang on, and I promise you won't be disappointed. This is it.

:) :wave:
<3
You know.. Every time I read this it's almost like he's sending us a message, saying that he's gonna go dark for a while, the :wave: really gets to me, like he's saying bye for now...

I'm having update withdrawals and I'm rambling... sorry.

Also:

Intrepidis, i dont know how you can even calculate that he could have spent all the kickstarter money...

My family has a combined income of ~5000 bucks per month, ~60000 per year.
We are 4 persons spread over 2 houses.
And we are living pretty comfortable.

From what josh has described is he living less comfortable than my familiy, is only a single person and maintains only one house.

You can see how likely it is that he has spent 190k in 2 and a bit years?

with drawls are turning into anger and disappointment oh noes :lol:

There are only 2 things that could happen 1. Josh comes back and proceeds to make LT 2. Josh for whatever Reason is not finishing LT.

After all the dev logs i have read and vids i saw i´ll just stay with option 1 for another year.

(i you ever followed the S.M.R.T.E.R mod maker you know what patience means)
More people want exploding kittens than exploding ships. Somehow, this makes me happy.
- credits go to dwmagus

Online Now