Return to “General”

Your Effect on the Universe

Hi! New here, loving how this game looks so far. Excited for the future of it.

I do have one questions, for Josh, and for anyone who can possibly answer it. I'll try to explain myself as well as I can.

I know that Josh wants to have it so what you do affects the universe you play in in different ways. Leaking information may lead to a fleet or entire civilization/faction being destroyed or giving information (like mining charts) might allow a fleet to grow and become a huge player in the universe and that kind of thing. But I feel like a lot of games say you have such a profound effect on the world/universe of the game, but they have difficulty showing how what you have done has affected the universe. I guess what I'm saying is you might do something, and it might affect the universe (by leading to a faction's demise or growth, etc.) but the player never really finds out how he/she has changed it.

How will this work? How will you see the outcome of your actions? Simply by going back and checking if that fleet you gave up information on is still there? I'm also wondering how much of a change can you incur on someone? How huge of an effect will it be possible for the player to have on the universe? For example, if you help a small fleet grow by giving them information on mining sites for example, is it possible that that fleet will become so huge only to try and come and destroy you?

Sorry, I know this is all jumbled, it's just what I'm wondering and I haven't seen any similar posts, maybe there are some. I don't know.

Thanks!
Re: Your Effect on the Universe

Welcome!

It's difficult to speak on this subject in such detail since the game is not yet to the point where I'm implementing these (advanced) concepts. First question: how will you be able to tell? I don't know..the same way you would in the real world. The game's not going to pop up a message saying "congrats, the information you gave X helped them defeat Y." But it's entirely possible that you'll find X has gained significantly more influence in the region after you sold them a list of highly-valuable mining sites. In order to see your impact, you will simply have to look closely. Same as in the real world :) If you do not pay attention to the world around you, then no, you will not see your impact - the game will not artificially highlight it for you, if that's the question.

How extensive will your impact be? To be determined. It will be based largely on how intelligent the AI turns out to be, and I just don't have a good basis for speaking on it at the moment...sorry! I'm obviously hoping for big things - being able to turn the tides of war, influencing the factions that end up controlling entire regions, etc. But we will just have to find out!
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Schank wrote:How will this work? How will you see the outcome of your actions? Simply by going back and checking if that fleet you gave up information on is still there?
I'd like to think I'll be able to give the position of a huge fleet away, then shadow the fleet at a safe distance until it gets attacked and destroyed (due to my information). Then slip away laughing to my hearts content at the broken fleet for pulling me over for an inspection. :twisted:
In Josh we trust.

TanC wrote:
Schank wrote:How will this work? How will you see the outcome of your actions? Simply by going back and checking if that fleet you gave up information on is still there?
I'd like to think I'll be able to give the position of a huge fleet away, then shadow the fleet at a safe distance until it gets attacked and destroyed (due to my information). Then slip away laughing to my hearts content at the broken fleet for pulling me over for an inspection. :twisted:
You could be the biggest troll in the Limit Theory universe!

"Yesssss, there's totally an asteroid filled with Unobtanium there. Yessssss. Oh, and no fleets! None at all, definitely no space pirates, noooooo...."

*Hilarity ensues*

Online Now