Return to “Technical”

Re: Imaginary Alphabets

Evolutionary speaking, a language made of lines makes sense. Written language comes to being in the early days of civilization, and you only need very primitive tools to make lines (like scratching with a stick in the ground) whereas you would need an array of paints and a canvas and brushes and painting skills to make such a colourful thing. Hence the fact that pretty much every written language, even though they started independently, all exist out of lines.
(Yeah, I know Braille but that's something different entirely. Also, spaceships with Braille?)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Dinosawer wrote:Evolutionary speaking, a language made of lines makes sense. Written language comes to being in the early days of civilization, and you only need very primitive tools to make lines (like scratching with a stick in the ground) whereas you would need an array of paints and a canvas and brushes and painting skills to make such a colourful thing. Hence the fact that pretty much every written language, even though they started independently, all exist out of lines.
(Yeah, I know Braille but that's something different entirely. Also, spaceships with Braille?)
I agree with everything, for human evolution only.

"Also, spaceships with Braille"
Well, space is 99,9999...% dark, so a visual language in space... But of course it's a game, so...

I think really different shaped "alphabets" could be a good idea for totally different races. And let's keep linear standard writting for human civilisations.

davdav wrote: I agree with everything, for human evolution only.

Well, space is 99,9999...% dark, so a visual language in space... But of course it's a game, so...

I think really different shaped "alphabets" could be a good idea for totally different races. And let's keep linear standard writting for human civilisations.
And why shouldnt it apply to other species too?

Also: spaceships in LT will spend most of their time well within the effectice illumination range of stars, so visual markings could be readable most of the time.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
davdav wrote: I agree with everything, for human evolution only.

And why shouldnt it apply to other species too?

Also: spaceships in LT will spend most of their time well within the effectice illumination range of stars, so visual markings could be readable most of the time.
That's not that it "shouldnt", it's just the question of probability to have the same shaped alphabets for 2 different species. This is the same probability to have the same body shape, the same senses usage, the same shape ships, ...

Each star of LT will emit the same color spectrum ? It's another subject, but in my opinion, everything you can visualize in LT is provided by camera and modified by IA to be understandable. So you should have an universal google translate (for known civilizations of course). But it's more fun to be able to visualize not undertandable languages.

davdav wrote: That's not that it "shouldnt", it's just the question of probability to have the same shaped alphabets for 2 different species. This is the same probability to have the same body shape, the same senses usage, the same shape ships, ...
who said that every language should look the same.

its just very likely that every written language is some form of line and dot combinations

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
davdav wrote: That's not that it "shouldnt", it's just the question of probability to have the same shaped alphabets for 2 different species. This is the same probability to have the same body shape, the same senses usage, the same shape ships, ...

its just very likely that every written language is some form of line and dot combinations
Are you sure even on earth in 100 years, written languages will not be this : Image

davdav wrote:

Are you sure even on earth in 100 years, written languages will not be this : Image
I'm pretty sure that written languages that are meant to be interpreted directly by humans will not look like that in 100 years.
LT Wiki | IRC | REKT Wiki
Idiots. Idiots everywhere. ~Dr. Cha0zz

davdav wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:QR codes exist because computers suck at parsing text, not because they're a better way of transmitting information (they're not)
Just an example.
And in a near future, everything will be done by (and for ?) computers...
A. I doubt that and b. That doesn't mean we'll start using languages that humans can't read anymore, as it's much more sensible to design computers that actually can read the languages we use.
I mean, why would you start using a written language y can't read without a computer?
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
davdav wrote: Are you sure even on earth in 100 years, written languages will not be this :
Hard to read, hard to write.

Good for computers, but much less so for biological lifeforms which are error prone.
In 2 or 3 years, immediate translation in google glass ?

And an alphabet readable by only 1/(infinite) people of the universe is not so useful.

I'm not against alphabet. I just think it's unfortunate to limit to human type (or equivalent) written languages.
But it's a good mod opportunities.

Vaguely relevant is a conversation I recently had that considered the absurd idea that life on Earth is in fact a conversation, that species are merely ideas, individual beings are the "letters" Which make them all up. Considered for LT, the places and people's you come across would be their own "alphabets"

or maybe I've officially gone crazy.
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

Online Now