Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Subspace Tech, unification of all forms of travel

I am not disagreeing with CornFlakes. I do agree. when it comes to the "Hardness test" of science fiction I like to look to the Moh's scale.
as shown here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onHardness

I tend to inject the gravity wave projector as the "One Big Lie" type of phelbotinum but look at the works of Nikola Tesla, Thomas Townsend Brown, and the modern scientists Dr.Harold "Sonny" White, and Dr.Woodward. you should not that one of the images I had linked above in a prior post demonstrates that the Mach effect thruster is undergoing "Peer Review" as other institutions are experimenting with the Mach effect thruster.

Other futurism I write about may have appeared in other science journals, science and technology blogs (*like "Next Big Future"), as papers from bona fide real world efforts to produce the technology. For example: http://nextbigfuture.com/2013/10/kurzwe ... sized.html
the really smart people among us will see that the progress for this kind of tech is already "In-the-works" and possibly at some highly secret level that has no regard for patents- may already be in development. (*Yes, you can call me a conspiracy theorist)

to summarize; I write about only one Piece of hokum (*the fictional GWP) the rest is REAL stuff that sadly I only recall vaguely.

i havent said that your stuff is a bunch of random mcguffins (i actually agree to very large parts with your lore scientifically, under the assumption "we can shape/create gravity")

but your initial suggestion in here
Spoiler:      SHOW
Chad_hale wrote:-------But are these aliens all using the same technology for space travel?

*The Kuv'mehtqu aliens, might have star ships resembling giant Manta rays with the mouth being an induction drive that sucks dark energy in and expels it out the back like a jet. dark energy is what gives expanding space "Speed".

*The Noricsshcku* may have a radical method of space travel based on Non-locality and quantum information (*possibly "Holographic Principle"): their drive changes the Q-information of a vessel so as to make it "exist" at another destination- I.E. teleport. (*or as He puts it, a round house kick.)

*The Cup'o'Kavine aliens use an anti-mater reactor to generate Massive quanties of tachyons, messons, or other backwards travelling particle to BEND time for their vessels.

*The magmal scilicate lifeforms we call "Rock-orc", a lifeform mostly immune to deadly radiation, they might be using absurdly powerful fission rockets with bussard scoops.

The poliquiyel aliens have sails that are permeable only on ONE side to most forms of energy, but reflective on the other side - they sail through the cosmos slower than the speed of light, but they have prefect suspended animation.

The Satorian aliens are bona fide Telekinetic, their technology grew from the insights regarding telekinesis - Somehow their star ships can manipulate the Higgs field responsible for inertia/mass, and travel as fast as they want because Einstien can not stop them...

So, are these all essentially "The same"? no, I do not believe so.

seems to imply that mutiple (eventually procedurally generated) techno lores should be included.

and at least those you proposed seem to me like mcguffins.
cool mcguffins, but still nothing else.

and i dont think that anybody (if anybody then josh) is currently able to program an algorithm which can create such stories procedurally

and even if there were such an algorithm, it would likely end up "generate some technobabble for engine, set some random stats for engines"
but it wouldnt create new mechanics and interactions.

(i know it sounds like self praisal)
like my subspace concept, i only add a single rule to the system, and a couple of devices which can act upon that rule.
"space is smaller the lower you are in the 4th dimension"
everything else follows from there, cruise drives, wormholes, flying "below" shields, everything comes from that simple rule

or as an adaption to your gravitiy tech.
you dont need multiple devices for creating all the effects, you need one (maybe 2) a device which can higher/lower gravity.

for example:with a part based system you could build everything from that single part.

combine multiple generators into a device like a gun, you either have a tractor/repulsor beam or a gravity disruptor weapon, depending on power/polarity

mount some on the backside of your ship and set them to generate negative gravity, or in the front and use positive gravity, there you have a drive system

mount a couple of them around your ship and have them generating a warp bubble.

etc, you see where im getting to

the gist is: when the lore doesnt change how things work, is it worth to be included?
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nope. I imagine that aliens could take different paths to the stars than us. That the universe could be filled with life at various states of development; intelligent life with technologically advanced civilization capable of interstellar travel would likely be exceedingly rare, but possibly common given the age of the universe.

Art style can be procedurally created - the details of alien races, is entirely up to one's imagination.
So no, not everything needs to be conceived. as much as I would like it to be true; the fact is Josh is not god...

Chad_hale wrote:Nope. I imagine that aliens could take different paths to the stars than us. That the universe could be filled with life at various states of development; intelligent life with technologically advanced civilization capable of interstellar travel would likely be exceedingly rare, but possibly common given the age of the universe.
definitely agreed, but theres still the problem of creating the lore and mechanics of those other ways.

and balancing those ways for in-game usage.

i'd enjoy lots of different ways to do things! (as long as they dont devolve to random mcguffins)

but the question is feasibility
or the "bang for buck" ratio.

Derp I almost forgot. The importance of "Meisner effect" materials as Insulation to magnetic lines of flux, also lay in one mechanical feature that we previously could not apply to Magnetic effects:

Compression

By compressing or focusing a magnetic field - what can we do?
1. A "compressed" electromagnetic motor will be able to optimize the "Hall effect" for motive force. Electric motors become tremendously more efficient and more so powerful. This could also be applied to "Ion thrusters" which actually generate their thrust from the Hall Effect. instead of micro-newtons of thrust, they might get thousands of Newtons of thrust.
(*Hall effect = the mechanical push caused by matching magnetic polarities.*)
2. A "Compressed" generator will likely have manifold more Webbs and thus produce far more voltage than ever before. alternately, Power generators could be made a 1/1000th of the size and possibly produce the same energy.
(*Webb = when one million lines of magnetic flux cut through a conductor a single volt [electric pressure] is produced.)
3. "Magnetic bottles" may actually work to suspend anti-matter in a vacuum container...

Chad_hale wrote: (*Hall effect = the mechanical push caused by matching magnetic polarities.*)
its not, its the force experienced by a charged particle that travels perpendicular to the magnetic field.

also: what does this part of your suggestion game mechanics wise, besides "we can build strong [insert thing that relies on magnetism]"?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:yeah, you are right
derp :oops:

hall effect is the voltage induced in a material perpendicular to both current and magnetic field passing through that material.

this effect is caused by the lorenz force forcing more electrons to be on one side of the conductor.
(which is why i confused the effects)
I'd totally do that too, only reason I picked up on it was because Lorentz force turns up a lot in what I do

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Chad_hale wrote: (*Hall effect = the mechanical push caused by matching magnetic polarities.*)
its not, its the force experienced by a charged particle that travels perpendicular to the magnetic field.
also: what does this part of your suggestion game mechanics wise, besides "we can build strong [insert thing that relies on magnetism]"?
Scytale wrote:Sorry to interrupt, but that's the Lorentz force (edit: I mean what you're describing there is the Lorentz force Cornflakes)
I was perhaps referring to this caption:

There is a type of engine - which is very much still conceptual - called the... magnetized target fusion engine? which involves zapping a small plasmoid of D-T fuel with plasma so that a fusion burn is initiated - this burn propagates outwards but is guided by a paraboloidal array of current loops in the direction of the exhaust; the mechanism involves momentary compression of the magnetic field in the focus of the paraboloid, which - since magnetic field lines have a degree of tension and 'springiness' when dealing with fluid interactions - then expands outwards again, 'pushing' the plasma in the direction of the exhaust.

It seems like an... interesting engineering problem.

Online Now