Return to “Announcements”

Re: The Road to the Beta Series!

Flatfingers wrote:I've seen a couple of people now saying multiple monitor support is confirmed.

Where is that coming from?

I just went back and carefully re-read RTB #1, and I see no mention of multiple monitors anywhere.

Am I missing something?
The main problem with, say, 2 monitors is that most games place the reticule dead in the middle - which in my case is the border between my two screens. With a movable reticule I can just put it in the middle of one screen and put the informative widgets on the other screen. :mrgreen:
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

ABOUT INTERFACE!
I would like to SAVE revisions of them.

UI EVENT TOGGLE
ALSO I would like a AUTO TOGGLE on given EVENTS.

Let me Explain
Say your in COMBAT Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Combat UI".
Say your in NO COMBAT Mode, UI would auto change to saved " None Combat UI".
Say your in SCAN Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Scan UI".
Say your in MINING Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Mining UI".

This can also apply do different modes that have different widgets, like fleet control, or management, exploration, etc.....
NEKIO.COM

Chewtoy wrote:ABOUT INTERFACE!
I would like to SAVE revisions of them.

UI EVENT TOGGLE
ALSO I would like a AUTO TOGGLE on given EVENTS.

Let me Explain
Say your in COMBAT Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Combat UI".
Say your in NO COMBAT Mode, UI would auto change to saved " None Combat UI".
Say your in SCAN Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Scan UI".
Say your in MINING Mode, I want UI to auto CHANGE to saved "Mining UI".

This can also apply do different modes that have different widgets, like fleet control, or management, exploration, etc.....
Interesting idea, not entirely sure how functional it would be though given that you're basically talking about a different version of a previous iteration Josh was working on with regards to the UI in the form of "Desktops" akin to the LInux multiple desktop concept. At that point you'd basically have each Desktop being a separate revision. Again an interesting idea but with regards to functionality I'm not so sure. Ideally you want as much information available to you at all times as possible and I just can't really see you needing to swap if it's done right.

Combat UI? Well okay maybe I could see the need for that if you want everything a certain way for dog fighting or maybe have it a different way for fleet engagements. Mining UI? Not so much. I just don't know that mining is particularly information intensive in such a way that it would require it's own UI. Though I've nothing against maybe having it as an option all the same. "Non-Combat UI" I'm not even sure what that would mean or entail really. Scan UI... I'm not entirely sure that this isn't still a thing in some capacity or another as active scanning is still most likely a thing. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know I haven't heard Josh say that the Desktops concept has been removed entirely so this may already be achievable in some form or another.

The "auto-toggle HUD mode" idea has been suggested before. (I'm not where I can quickly grab the reference, sorry.)

I'm all for that as long as I can disable it in some way.

I really do not want my HUD flipping itself around on me whenever it wants. If someone takes a shot at me, or I get a notification of a sweet trading possibility, I can change my HUD fast enough and accurately enough when I'm ready to do that.

Dang uppity software. :problem:

Ixos wrote:Great info, but should things like HUD configuration really be a high priority in getting the game playable and beta ready?
In a game in which player freedom is as important as it is in LT I would argue yes.
However, note that a fair share of this week's work was simply making the hud as the only thing that was already in the game was the central reticule and the scanner.
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Ixos wrote:Great info, but should things like HUD configuration really be a high priority in getting the game playable and beta ready?
I would say yes, it should.

The HUD is the interface between the player and this game. It's crucial that it be as smooth as possible to use, with a high level of both utility and simplicity. I believe Josh was absolutely right to do this as the first week of RTB work -- all other gameplay has to go through it.
Dinosawer wrote:
Flatfingers wrote: Dang uppity software. :problem:
I propose a hud mode where you can only fly your ship by typing commands in a terminal! Gui's are for wimps! :mrgreen:
You have a CLI? Ha! Luxury! In my day we had to write the code for the "turn" command using only ones and zeros, and sometimes they hadn't made enough ones to go around!

I would agree if Josh goes back and tweaks it a hundred more times before Beta release...

However like the above people have already stated, you need to be able to access the functions of the game somehow.

Trust me, I plan to do my part to (very politely) remind Josh if he wanders off the road to Beta! (and he can feel free to ignore me if he wants ;) )
My Signature

Online Now