Return to “Scripting & Modding”

(NPM) NJoys Production Mod

Well, i had a lot of spare time and since i don't know how Josh is going to implement production i gave it my own try.
If i find enough time after 1.0 is out, i'll give it a try to code it. (Since coding was kinda a hobby before i became a dad)

I'm far from finishing the concept, many things will probably change while coding it.

First the production chain. Image Image Image Modules, Layout and Production Image Image Interface, UI Image This is my first approach, if something is missing tell me.
There is a lot of to do, for example:
  • Find a way to show and compare different Blueprints (Tech Level) of one type properly
  • Find a way to solve
  • Create concept for materials, their costs and their rarity
  • Create “tech tree”
  • Unify Interface
  • Many other
Whats next?
Well, i don't know much about the ingame mechanics (yet), so i'll wait for Josh to present his thoughts about (mineable) materials (how many, rarity), production, tech-tree, etc etc. I don't want to change the game completely and perhaps i don't need to change anything :mrgreen:

To get started, except for concept work, i need to know more about LTSL, so i'll just wait :oops: For example, i don't want to create fancy icons outside LT if LTSL is able to draw them itself.
Perhaps there will be a release of an empty LTSL test bench, that really would be great! :D That would be like a second X-Mas
Last edited by N-Joy on Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:D
Re: (NPM) NJoys Production Mod

Very nice work. I like that you capture the concept of production as a dynamic activity, not just a push-button, mass-production affair.

1. There seems to be an opportunity for experimentation gameplay -- adjusting input types and amounts to alter the output statistics.

2. Are the schematics for different components and devices pregenerated? Or randomly generated? I'm wondering how a blueprint "knows" which inputs are accepted/required.

3. If they're randomly generated, I guess we'll have to wait to see the LTSL code for that.

4. If schematics are pregenerated, there might be an opportunity for forum members to help out by suggesting schematics. We'd need some idea of raw inputs as well as functional output features, but with those we could perhaps crank out enough constructible objects to fill a game.

Flatfingers wrote: 4. If schematics are pregenerated, there might be an opportunity for forum members to help out by suggesting schematics. We'd need some idea of raw inputs as well as functional output features, but with those we could perhaps crank out enough constructible objects to fill a game.
Nice job, N-Joy. :thumbup:

a) How about we review the vids that Josh has created, and review all ore that the AI knows how to mine?

b) From there, we can contrast/compare with the likes of Eve Online to create base materials for basic materials
(I recommend a predetermined meet in IRC via the unofficial LT chat)

c) Review what we have to create a functional object as n-joy has created as per above
(the idea being that we create a template that may or may not be accurate, but it's sure going to be fun to envisage/explore)

d) An addendum could be to write an LTSL script (when 1.0 is released) that can visualise these inputs/outputs so as to maximise one's manufacturing line based on x,y,z inputs and their associated outputs as determined by g,h,i

I'm excited - are you? :)
YAY PYTHON \o/

In Josh We Trust
-=326.3827=-

Yeah i'm also excited, sorry for the long pause.
I've got a lot of family time the last weeks and my old addiction currently kicks in (minecraft). So i had not much time to work on it.
Flatfingers wrote: 2. Are the schematics for different components and devices pregenerated? Or randomly generated? I'm wondering how a blueprint "knows" which inputs are accepted/required.

3. If they're randomly generated, I guess we'll have to wait to see the LTSL code for that.

4. If schematics are pregenerated, there might be an opportunity for forum members to help out by suggesting schematics. We'd need some idea of raw inputs as well as functional output features, but with those we could perhaps crank out enough constructible objects to fill a game.
The first low level tiers will be pregenerated (perhaps with a small randomness) but through the research process modified. Regarding on what you try to enhance the inputs for the blueprint will differ.
  • Higher complexity => More rare materials
  • Bigger => More of all materials
  • Higher energy efficiency => E.g. more wires
Research will not be not done with strict rules, there will be some kind of randomness

Regarding materials: Soon ^^

FormalMoss wrote: a) How about we review the vids that Josh has created, and review all ore that the AI knows how to mine?
Only checked the last video, catched two ot them. I won't use older vids, cause Josh said there will be changes :ghost:
But these are currently only names (which can be changed easily). But the prices are kinda interesting, they'll change a lot
FormalMoss wrote: b) From there, we can contrast/compare with the likes of Eve Online to create base materials for basic materials
(I recommend a predetermined meet in IRC via the unofficial LT chat)
I've created an excel list for the items (including a lot of dummy materials) but i'm not finished yet.
Had another idea to this topic but i don't know how Josh will include fractions. How many there will be, etc.
The idea is to split materials and sort them after regions/fractions. Some items will belong to one group, some to another. Depending in which region you are it is likely to get different groups of tech items becaus they are cheaper.
But therefore i guess i have to wait for RTB.
And another problem occurs: Currently i have not enough materials and production items to group them into regions.
FormalMoss wrote: c) Review what we have to create a functional object as n-joy has created as per above
(the idea being that we create a template that may or may not be accurate, but it's sure going to be fun to envisage/explore)

d) An addendum could be to write an LTSL script (when 1.0 is released) that can visualise these inputs/outputs so as to maximise one's manufacturing line based on x,y,z inputs and their associated outputs as determined by g,h,i
Yep, currently working on it.
Google Sheets is mighty (too) and will calculate the costs.

small update:
after i read Flatfingers Refining Gameplay Ideas Mined i realized that the refining process was far from beeing well thought out.

I gave it a try and made it more complex (but for me more satisfying). It is kinda a combination of Flatfingers Refining Process and my expirience from Minecraft Mod Packs (Mine -> Crush -> Combine&Smelt)
Image Next step for me is to clearify the research process (which property gets bonuses, which one will be worsen, etc etc.).
And i'm still not clear if i should wait till 1.0 and adapt the available weapons/modules or just create a new set of them. :eh:

Online Now