Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Subspace Tech, unification of all forms of travel

DigitalDuck wrote: I like the idea of needing to "dig" through, but not the idea of digging up being disallowed due to unpredictability. I'd rather either digging up being allowed, or there be some sort of technobabble explanation for why you can't just "float" back up again (e.g. gravity well at the bottom preventing very deep matter from floating up through undug subspace or something like that).
for the "not float up" limitation: pressure differential.

if you exit a digged channel too deep down, the sudden "pressure change" damages/destroys your ship.

so you have to drill up very far that you can safely exit the "emptied out" wormhole channel

drilling up should have considerable drawbacks when performed, such as long "probing around" and frequent redrilling until you actually arrive at the system you want to end up.
not to speak if you want a precise position.

"drilling" should also make lots of "noise", announcing that someone tries to create a wormhole into the system.

Dinosawer wrote:I would for some reason be more satisfied with non-Euclidean space-time as explanation.
This might be the effect of three weeks of studying and can probably be disregarded.
and a valid reason for having buyoancy: you can have more things being hidden in subspace if "real space" isnt the (local) center of the universe ;)

Well written and thought out Cornflakes.

If speed is changed the deeper a ship goes into the fourth dimension there should be some visual effect as to how deep the player is within the dimension. Instead of it looking like a void I'd like to see colors, shapes, and or the background nebula contract the "deeper" you go in the 4th dimension. Colors and shapes could simplify themselves, creating harder edges and fewer colors in the visual spectrum.

Maybe something that looks like this as you go deeper (1 is highest level)
Spoiler:      SHOW

BFett wrote:Well written and thought out Cornflakes.

If speed is changed the deeper a ship goes into the fourth dimension there should be some visual effect as to how deep the player is within the dimension. Instead of it looking like a void I'd like to see colors, shapes, and or the background nebula contract the "deeper" you go in the 4th dimension. Colors and shapes could simplify themselves, creating harder edges and fewer colors in the visual spectrum.

Maybe something that looks like this as you go deeper (1 is highest level)
Spoiler:      SHOW
Clicked on this and immediately got a headache. :ghost:
Image The results of logic, of natural progression? Boring! An expected result? Dull! An obvious next step? Pfui! Where is the fun in that? A dream may soothe, but our nightmares make us run!

BFett wrote:stuff

Code: Select all

<+Cornflakes> fett:
<+Cornflakes> your visual suggestion
<+BFett> yes?
<+outlander> Hi
<+Cornflakes> that doesnt really fit for when you are completely submerged
<+Cornflakes> when you still "overlap" with real space, yeah
<+Cornflakes> that could work
<+Cornflakes> but when you are, so to say, in deep sea
<+Cornflakes> i dont think that you should be able to see the "surface"
<+BFett> You mentioned stations and other objects existing in 4D
<+Cornflakes> yeah
<+BFett> You also mention it being gray "void"
<+Cornflakes> but not through all the space
<+Cornflakes> see subspace like a sea
<+Cornflakes> and your ship like a boat
<+Cornflakes> it penetrates a bit into the sea
<+Cornflakes> but not all the way down
<+Cornflakes> and when you are completely "below" the boat, you shouldnt be able to see it anymore
<+BFett> depending on depth correct?
<+Cornflakes> yep
<+Naed> hello Cornflakes and BFett
<+Cornflakes> so for "going deeper" and getting to see less and less of the "real world" or the object you see, i could live with your suggeston
<+Cornflakes> but it should decohere into a void
<+Cornflakes> like when you would turn down the quality even more of that jpg
<+Cornflakes> it would become a flat, uniform picture
<+BFett> OK, I'm fine with that
<+BFett> Is the void the deepest level of 4D?
<+Cornflakes> just a level where nothing is in sight
<+Cornflakes> when nothing is visible from where you are in real space, and you "put your head underwater"
<+Cornflakes> you only see the void
<+BFett> OK, I think I'm on the same page as you are.  My suggestion is for transition from top level to deeper levels.  Getting to a void of grey would be easy

It would be really cool if the ship (from your perspective) seemed to be going at the same constant speed while the world contracted around it (that planet over there just got closer!) instead of just painting a filter over the world while your ship's speed increased. I suspect that such an effect would require *massive* changes to the game engine, though.

But I wouldn't know -- I don't know the first thing about coding ;)
Limit Theory IRC

TheJuggler wrote:It would be really cool if the ship (from your perspective) seemed to be going at the same constant speed while the world contracted around it (that planet over there just got closer!) instead of just painting a filter over the world while your ship's speed increased. I suspect that such an effect would require *massive* changes to the game engine, though.

Changing the scale is fairly easy, but there's one problem, especially when you're playing in a third-person mode.

It'll just look like your ship got bigger rather than the rest of the universe got smaller.
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:It would be really cool if the ship (from your perspective) seemed to be going at the same constant speed while the world contracted around it (that planet over there just got closer!) instead of just painting a filter over the world while your ship's speed increased. I suspect that such an effect would require *massive* changes to the game engine, though.

Changing the scale is fairly easy, but there's one problem, especially when you're playing in a third-person mode.

It'll just look like your ship got bigger rather than the rest of the universe got smaller.
Hmmm...maybe distort things a little bit? Like, the nearside of a planet might stretch a little closer to you than the farside (making it appear egg-shaped)?

Perhaps instead we (by which I mean"Josh") could implement an effect similar to a dolly zoom.
Limit Theory IRC

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:an effect similar to a dolly zoom.

That maybe works for moving ships, but what do you do when you are stationary?
I guess it would have to be combined with something else...I dislike foggy effects, though. I think optical distortions could have a lot of potential. Potentially combined with visibility issues (as long as its not fog :roll: ) and maybe even dolly zooming, I think it really has the potential to create a very distinctive, slightly disorienting/disconcerting feel for hypersubspace.
Limit Theory IRC

TheJuggler wrote:I dislike foggy effects, though. I
Who said anything about fog?
:think:

I just find a grey void less boring than a black void, like subspace likely would appear.
its space without (large concentrations of) matter, but qualitative the same.

The only thing i insist on is the disappearance of objects as you move away from their plane.

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
TheJuggler wrote:I dislike foggy effects, though. I
Who said anything about fog?
:think:

I just find a grey void less boring than a black void, like subspace likely would appear.
its space without (large concentrations of) matter, but qualitative the same.

The only thing i insist on is the disappearance of objects as you move away from their plane.
I don't like the idea of hyperspace being grey, but maybe that's just me. But I agree that objects should become less visible the deeper you go, whether it be literally or indirectly via disorienting optical effects (i.e. the view somehow becomes so distorted that you can't tell where anything is anymore).

I think the latter effect would be way cooler. Unfortunately it might be difficult to implement without seeming like an in-game funhouse mirror.
Limit Theory IRC

You arent looking at them anymore.

Imagine being only able to look through a very narrow slit, reducing your view to 2D, you couldnt see anything that would be above or below your field of view.

Its the same with subspace, objects move out of your field of view.

Also: why should your view become distorted?

Your sight doesnt get messed up just because you are climbing up a ladder neither

Online Now