Return to “Suggestions”

Small things that would be nice to have

i had a very small idea flying round my head, and in itself it wouldnt be worth an own thread.

so lets just collect small things that would be fun to have in the game but which would not take much time to neither implement nor balance.

my small thing of the day is:

Gear changes.

it may seems silly at first glance but i think it has some value.

say you want to dock your ship, which requires some fine maneuvering which you cant get (assume a mouse and keyboard player) with your simple WASD keys for maneuvering.

so you could "change gear", redefine where your 100% throttle setting stops.

i have more or less 3 settings in mind.

"full gear", which lets you throttle up to the maximum that your current energy allocation allows.

"drive gear", which limits your throttle just below the "jump point" of your drive,
as such keeps you below cruise drive speeds (reference link for the "jump point" stuff)

and
"parking gear" which limits your throttle to a (configurable) low amount, say 20% of your maximum thrust
to provide you with the necessary fine controls to do precise maneuvering.

ideas? critique?
other small ideas that would fit in the thread?
Last edited by Cornflakes_91 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Small things that would be useful

Considering the binary nature of WASD controls (it's on or off), that sounds pretty damn useful. However, with just a little practice it's not at all difficult to maneuver small distances with very quick pulses of the thruster. So if variable throttle limits don't make it in, I'm pretty sure most of us will be just fine.
Spacecredentials: looks at stars sometimes, cheated at X-Wing vs TIE Fighter, killed a titan once.

Gazz wrote:Couldn't you already do that in the prototype by assigning like 5% energy to the engines?
Which would require you to open the energy allocation screen, mess around, do your maneuvering and revert the changes eventually.

It would be nice to be able to do the same without having to mess with settings (and wait for the energy to actually reach the settings).

I like the gears idea. I use my landing gear on ED well before required as it has the effect of halving my speed (essentially a gear change) and saved my ship a couple of times speeding into a crash.

My small idea 1: when mining - an indication of how much the stuff is worth so you can make quick decisions on what to mine without having to keep a spreadsheet.

My small idea 2: ability to teleport between (previously visited / owned) stations, you the player not the ships. So you can have multiple "operations" that do not require lengthy travel between them just to manage localised resources. StarTrek - beam me up Scotty type thing!
LTP Fleet Battles on Youtube

aspman wrote: My small idea 2: ability to teleport between (previously visited / owned) stations, you the player not the ships. So you can have multiple "operations" that do not require lengthy travel between them just to manage localised resources. StarTrek - beam me up Scotty type thing!
That would be extremely unbalanced.

"Hey theres a pirate who will crush me"
*plopp*

Or when you have somehow gotten behind enemy lines and cant find a way back to your allies.
*plopp*

You lose your ship, yes, but every challenge of having to deal with stupid things you do goes away.

:lol:

I actually didn't care too much for the way gear shifting worked in Rodina. It was almost like a clutch -- you have to move your fingers off the propulsion keys, then tap the key to shift gears, then apply thrust again. It felt unnecessarily clunky to me, as opposed to simply applying more or less amounts of thrust. I mean... these are spaceships.

The idea of "gears" doesn't seem awful. Mostly it was just how shifting worked in Rodina that didn't feel right to me.

Online Now