Return to “General”

Re: The December, 2014 Devlog Discussion

Oh cod, not again. I've haddock with all the pollocks puns. This plaice is just a shell of its former self; it's taken a reel dive. I feel sorry for the poor soles who gully up like suckers, packing themselves in like sardines, after herring about Elite's unfathomable floundering, only to get slapped around a bit with a large trout.

You groupers do it on porpoise, dropping newbies in too deep and putting them under a lot of pressure. They barely keep their head above water as it is - they shouldn't need to mussel their way in. They'd have more luck just trolling.

(I'm hooked on these puns - I'm not losing to some shrimp. Ducks know bread and fish.)
Games I like, in order of how much I like them. (Now permanent and updated regularly!)

DigitalDuck wrote:Oh cod, not again. I've haddock with all the pollocks puns. This plaice is just a shell of its former self; it's taken a reel dive. I feel sorry for the poor soles who gully up like suckers, packing themselves in like sardines, after herring about Elite's unfathomable floundering, only to get slapped around a bit with a large trout.

You groupers do it on porpoise, dropping newbies in too deep and putting them under a lot of pressure. They barely keep their head above water as it is - they shouldn't need to mussel their way in. They'd have more luck just trolling.

(I'm hooked on these puns - I'm not losing to some shrimp. Ducks know bread and fish.)

:lol: Well done! :clap: :clap:
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

I know it's been explained, but I disagree with the price going up if I buy more of one good at a time. Here's why:

If I buy shares on the stock market, the price of the share doesn't go up because I'm putting in the order to buy them, but how much I buy can affect the price on the market after I've bought. To me, having this dynamic price system is good, as long as the price isn't changing while I'm buying things. If I go to a grocery store and buy a whole pallet of cereal or anything else I want to buy, I affect the supply that the store has. Could they charge more for subsequent customers, sure, but they're not going to charge me more than the listed price because of the quantity I'm buying. If I see a good price at a station, I want to be able to buy a very large quantity of the item so I can go sell it somewhere else for a lot more. To me this feature was probably the most disappointing thing in the update because I disagree with the concept. If Josh is concerned about players buying a station out and selling it back for a profit, there's a few things he could do to limit that. He could limit the percentage of a station inventory that you can buy of an item at one time. He could set a specific number of an item that you could buy. I would much prefer to have those rules in place than a price that changes as I buy more of a particular item.

masseffect7 wrote:I know it's been explained, but I disagree with the price going up if I buy more of one good at a time. Here's why:

If I buy shares on the stock market, the price of the share doesn't go up because I'm putting in the order to buy them, but how much I buy can affect the price on the market after I've bought. To me, having this dynamic price system is good, as long as the price isn't changing while I'm buying things. If I go to a grocery store and buy a whole pallet of cereal or anything else I want to buy, I affect the supply that the store has. Could they charge more for subsequent customers, sure, but they're not going to charge me more than the listed price because of the quantity I'm buying. If I see a good price at a station, I want to be able to buy a very large quantity of the item so I can go sell it somewhere else for a lot more. To me this feature was probably the most disappointing thing in the update because I disagree with the concept. If Josh is concerned about players buying a station out and selling it back for a profit, there's a few things he could do to limit that. He could limit the percentage of a station inventory that you can buy of an item at one time. He could set a specific number of an item that you could buy. I would much prefer to have those rules in place than a price that changes as I buy more of a particular item.
However, it's not supposed to be like the stock market or a grocery store. It's more like buying stuff off ebay.
My Signature

masseffect7 wrote:I know it's been explained, but I disagree with the price going up if I buy more of one good at a time. Here's why:

Keep in mind that it isn't just you buying things. If you sit there trying to decide what you want to buy, and even as you are putting in the quantity you want, there are other transactions that are taking place simultaneously.
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

the thing is: the individual seller changes nothing.

there are multiple sellers on the station and the UI automatically chose the one with the lowest selling price.

as the order has gone up in quantity the stock of the cheapest seller was exhausted and the next one, the cheapest remaining was chosen.

the individual traders didnt change their prices.

the UI changed the sellers because of limited stocks.

not
seller 1 -> 6 units stock, 2cr

seller 1 -> 2 units, 2cr/unit+
seller 1 -> 2 units, 3cr/unit+
seller 1 -> 2 units, 4cr/unit

but instead

seller 1 -> 2 units stock, 2cr
seller 2 -> 2 units stock, 3cr
seller 3 -> 2 units stock, 4cr

seller 1 -> 2 units, 2cr/unit+
seller 2 -> 2 units, 3cr/unit+
seller 3-> 2 units, 4cr/unit