Return to “Games”

Re: Frontiers (The pretender to Daggerfall/Morrowind)?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Victor Tombs wrote:
Talvieno wrote:just wanted to mention it, because im currently grinding through FO3 and find it was worth every cent :angel:
I suppose I should say at this point, Cornflakes, that I own them all and if I enjoyed the depressing backdrop to the games I would have spent as much time playing them as I have the Elder Scrolls games. :angel:

And you should know by now that I'm pleased you are getting your money's worth. ;) :D

Lum wrote:Skyrim is also depressing sometimes :P And from the Dwemer's point of view also postapocaliptic :lol:
Nah, I've never been depressed by TES games (except that MMO abortion which I own but will never subscribe to). I've become watery eyed in some places in the games, powerful emotions brought on by plot and the glorious music of JS, but no depressing experiences. Although I do admit there is some truth in the point you make about the Dwemer. :angel:

I don't play Skyrim anymore. Not because I don't want to, but because I know I really must invest a lot of time to do the most simple of things, like go from A to B. Everything costs me lots of time. It's all so pretty, so majestic, with that music and that feeling of grandness and vastness and aweness... I've tried to advance my lastest character in my new, modded to the teeth version of the game. Of course, Frostfall, SkyRe or Hunterborn make things a little more immersive than vanilla, but that's not the point. So I need ages to complete a couple of quests and that I know beforehand so I think for a second at my desktop while I'm trying to choose what game I should play for a couple of hours and knowing that I won't make that time without interruptions and say to myself: not Skyrim. It's a shame, but it's also the truth... :(
I have been - and always shall be - your friend.

Victor Tombs wrote:
Talvieno wrote:Victor doesn't much care for post-apocalyptic games. :)
:angel: I'm flattered, Talvieno, you obviously read some of my posts here. :thumbup:
That I have. While it's a pleasure to listen to your wisdom, I like to get to know the people I consider friends as well. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Victor Tombs wrote:
Lum wrote:Skyrim is also depressing sometimes :P And from the Dwemer's point of view also postapocaliptic :lol:
Nah, I've never been depressed by TES games (except that MMO abortion which I own but will never subscribe to). I've become watery eyed in some places in the games, powerful emotions brought on by plot and the glorious music of JS, but no depressing experiences. Although I do admit there is some truth in the point you make about the Dwemer. :angel:
The funny thing is that both the Elder Scrolls and Fallout worlds share an important quality: melancholy for lost civilizations.

And I don't think that's an accident.

The lead designer at BethSoft on both Morrowind and Oblivion was Ken Rolston. (Rolston also worked on the tabletop RPG Paranoia, itself a game set in a world in which normal civilization has been lost.) Although he left Bethesda to work on Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, his design precepts inspired others at BethSoft and Zenimax. It's not unreasonable that his influence carried over into the design for Bethesda's version of the Fallout universe.

There's certainly a difference in tone between exploring, say, a wraith-guarded Ayleid ruin or a Securitron-protected bunker. But in both cases you're likely to discover little histories of the people who once lived there long ago, now lost to inexorable time. Is science-fiction sadness that different from fantasy sadness?

Of course I'm not suggesting these games are identical. But I think there's some reasonable evidence that they are, as Lum said, both post-apocalyptic in their own ways.

I'm curious to see how Frontiers treats exploration: as a melancholic rediscovery of lost places? Or as an optimistic expansion of the "frontiers" of knowledge and livability?

That was a most interesting addition to the conversation, Flat. :thumbup: I do feel in some ways I've missed out on some great games but we are what we are and for whatever reason I much prefer not to play games like Fallout. I don't play any modern realistic warfare games either. :angel:

I do hope Frontiers can provide me with some melancholic moments. I know the landscape inspires confidence and I find Steve's music to be a superb addition. I just pray I'm not expecting too much from Lars&Co as far as the storylines are concerned. I do understand how much effort he and his team have invested in the making of the game and I'm grateful for all that effort. :D

We shall see. ;) :)

Edit: Of course melancholia is distinctly different to depression in my lexicon.

Scytale wrote:You two are pretty cool
I'm not really talkative enough at Flat's necessary level of detail, Scytale, and I'm probably a bit too flaky in the discussion department. I know he enjoys some of the same gaming preferences etc. so we do manage to chat from time to time. :thumbup:

It's always a pleasure to exchange a few words with him. :D
Dinosawer wrote:May I join the club? :mrgreen:
You already have, Dinosawer, check your wallet for your membership card. ;) :angel:

Online Now