Return to “Announcements”

Re: Development Update #21

alpan wrote:
Zanteogo wrote:Why this took up so much time in the development video is beyond me. It's good for translations and may have a future use for modders...
To be honest this could have been brushed over quickly and had this same impact.
You're probably already aware of this, but he's implying that this can be used for implementing cockpits.
I actually had forgotten that he had mentioned it before.

That's great and all.. but my original point still stands. He could have brushed over it quickly and perhaps shown us something else...
My Signature

Hi everyone, happy to come back at posting here with this new great video!
I really loved the clean look of these warp orbs and the exit particle effect :thumbup:
The market seems functionnal so it's fine for me !

That intro among those planet rings and stations was beautiful, can't wait to explore the game :)

I'm a little disapointed though: there has been no word on beta and since it was supposed to happen a this time of the year... At least can we know what are the major developments that are left to be done before the beta is launched?
Last edited by Groufac on Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Groufac wrote: I'm a little disapointed though: there has been no word on beta and since it was supposed to happen a that time of the year... At least can we know what are the major developments that are left to be done before the beta is launched?
The beta is actually due out right now.

Yes, I assumed he would say something about it during #21 too.

I would actually like for Josh to release the beta "as is" right now. It would take the pressure of making more videos off him and on to the testers.
My Signature

I've watched #21 this morning. Then i thought about it for quite a while. Then i watched and thinked it again.

So here are my thoughts:

I wont speak about the graphics, its just amazing. So as for the new market-UI, even if it was the major goal this month. I wanna talk about warp rails cause i highly expected them to see, just nearly every other user here.

Josh, we all know ur love in old game Freelancer. The concept of railways through space, connecting points of interest was a great idea back then, and it worked nicely. But i'm not sure with that for your game. Maybe you can explain this here.

As it stands for me, didn't you say your game will provide an infinite universe? This fact is at least for me the most interesting thing with LT. But now, it seems your universe is going more and more towards Freelancer, or f.e. the X-Series. Those universe concepts with gates and holes, connecting one system with another one, always needed some kind of "supernatural" to explain there gates and connections in unknown space. f.e. the "old" mysterious race for the X-Series, just to point one.
How will it be in LT? Will there be warprails in every direction, even in unknown space? How will you explain that? (if there is some unknown space at all..) Dont get me wrong, the railways are great for populated systems with lots of market activities going on. Perfect for AI, perfect for the fresh started LT-player in his tiny little ship. He can use them to travel around without a big warpdrive and get some nice business. I am even happy with the look of your neutron-star-sphere-lanes, i like them. :)

But whats with exploring unknown regions? Do we just follow one rail after another one? Or do you have plans for a real warpdrive only for capital ships, so the player have at least one big goal he has to reach. The freedom, to travel wherever i want to go is my big hope for LT.

And another side note: Old spacegames are more or less 2-dimensional, meaning all systems in the universe are built on the same ecliptic-level, so the player has only the choice between forward/backward and left/right, if he want to go somewhere else. I hope u bringing in the up/down level. :D

Nomad wrote: How will it be in LT? Will there be warprails in every direction, even in unknown space? How will you explain that? (if there is some unknown space at all..) Dont get me wrong, the railways are great for populated systems with lots of market activities going on. Perfect for AI, perfect for the fresh started LT-player in his tiny little ship. He can use them to travel around without a big warpdrive and get some nice business. I am even happy with the look of your neutron-star-sphere-lanes, i like them. :)
no, they are artificial devices you have to build where you want them to have.

you dont need a warpdrive to get anywhere, there are wormholes between systems which exist naturally in the universe of LT.
Nomad wrote: But whats with exploring unknown regions? Do we just follow one rail after another one? Or do you have plans for a real warpdrive only for capital ships, so the player have at least one big goal he has to reach. The freedom, to travel wherever i want to go is my big hope for LT.
you dont have to follow rails at any point, they are just a fast version of your normal engines so to speak.
if you can travel there via warp lanes, you can travel there without them.

there will be a jumpdrive for interstellar jumps, but i suspect that will only be for jumps between systems you already have visited.
those create a wormhole between 2 points, practically identical to those which exist naturally between systems.
jumpdrives will likely be pretty large, though, so you can only equip big ships or stationary jumpgates with them.

Nomad wrote: And another side note: Old spacegames are more or less 2-dimensional, meaning all systems in the universe are built on the same ecliptic-level, so the player has only the choice between forward/backward and left/right, if he want to go somewhere else. I hope u bringing in the up/down level. :D
(more or less) 2 dimensional systems are how the real universe works too, the ecliptic is not an invention of the gaming industry.

Game is looking absolutely gorgeous! I am especially a fan of the ability to buy and sell products without having to be docked at a station, while at the same time needing to go to your storage to pick up the items you bought.

I mean in this day and age I can be in Japan, order something online from my phone, and have it delivered to my house in New York. Even if I'm in the middle of an open field and no where near any physical stores. You'd think in a society that can travel from one planet to another like we do to the grocery store would have a similar ability :clap:

Looking great so far, cannot wait for that beta!

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Flatfingers wrote:
  • Higher prices for greater quantities seems counterintuitive -- sellers usually offer volume discounts.
from what i understood that was not a volume based price increase per se.

but there were multiple sellers on the station, and the buy option automatically chose the cheapest option at the beginning.

the price increases happened when the stock of the respective cheapest seller was exhausted and the menu automatically got the next cheapest one.

so it was not

seller 1 -> 2 pieces, 3 cr
+seller 1 -> 2 pieces, 4cr
+seller 1 -> 2 pieces, 5cr

but instead

seller 1 -> 2pieces -> 3cr
+seller 2-> 2pieces ->4cr
Yes, this is what I understand from his explanation in video and previous market work.

It may be a helpful idea to be able to see the different sell orders by each person once having clicked on the substance one wants to inquire about. It is more compacted the way it was in the video, which may be better, but I think it may help to see the individual orders in order to alleviate some confusion people might have. It also could allow you to support or not support certain people/groups more than others by specifically buying or not buy their products, which could be helpful in some situations.

Okay, I've watched it a second time, and this time, I didn't just wake up. :P

First, everything is absolutely gorgeous. Those stations? Incredible. If that's how they look in the final game, I know I'll be more than satisfied. The rings? Absolutely amazing, though I have to wonder if they're actually asteroid fields or just flat images.

Second, I love the idea of warp rails, but think they might be implemented a little differently as to their appearance... I don't really like the "energy balls" so much - I feel that they ought to look like some type of structure, and I would give the rails themselves a sort of glow... I can't suggest anything, though, so I'm content with how they look right now. The actual mechanics are beautiful, and they FEEL fast, which is something incredibly important that you managed with utmost precision. :thumbup:

The falloff on weapons does indeed seem to be a little wonky, as others have noted - I was wondering if I was looking at a glitch at first.

The UI seems perfect to me. I can't think of anything I'd like you to change that you haven't mentioned.

Finally, SHADOWS!!! You drew shadows on the rings! That pleases me SO much. I'm a happy camper. :D
Starbuck wrote:Anyone else notice at the start of the vid the face in the asteroid? 45 secs to 55 secs
Nope, you weren't the only one. :P
Dinosawer wrote:BTW, that part from 1:00 until 3:00 (more or less) would make a pretty awesome trailer if you remove voiceover from beginning and end and let it fade out at the end :D
For now, it's going to be my go-to clip I'll use for telling people about the game. :)
Have a question? Send me a PM! || I have a Patreon page up for REKT now! || People talking in IRC over the past two hours: Image

Talvieno wrote:I love the idea of warp rails, but think they might be implemented a little differently as to their appearance... I don't really like the "energy balls" so much - I feel that they ought to look like some type of structure, and I would give the rails themselves a sort of glow... I can't suggest anything, though, so I'm content with how they look right now. The actual mechanics are beautiful, and they FEEL fast, which is something incredibly important that you managed with utmost precision. :thumbup:
This is very much how I feel about the warp rails, Talvieno. :angel:

I would like changes, Josh, but I can accept what you're now offering. I'm just glad they didn't end up on the cutting room floor. ;) You know how much they mean to me, Freelancer 2 would be the poorer without them so I thank you. :thumbup:

Talvieno wrote:
Dinosawer wrote:BTW, that part from 1:00 until 3:00 (more or less) would make a pretty awesome trailer if you remove voiceover from beginning and end and let it fade out at the end :D
For now, it's going to be my go-to clip I'll use for telling people about the game. :)
My thoughts exactly, and it would be handy to just be able to link to it without having to say "start watching there and you can stop there..." ;)
Warning: do not ask about physics unless you really want to know about physics.
The LT IRC / Alternate link || The REKT Wiki || PUDDING

Online Now