Return to “Polls”

Which musical instrument do you play?

None, I am a musical layman
Total votes: 20 (11%)
Singing
Total votes: 24 (13%)
Woodwind (flute, saxophone, bagpipes, recorder, etc)
Total votes: 11 (6%)
Brasswind (trumpet, horn, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Bowed Strings (violin, cello, contrabass, etc)
Total votes: 9 (5%)
Plucked Strings (Guitar, banjo, etc)
Total votes: 38 (21%)
Keyboard instruments (Piano, organ, etc)
Total votes: 39 (22%)
Reed instruments (Accordeon, harmonica, etc)
Total votes: 3 (2%)
Percussion
Total votes: 18 (10%)
Something weird (tell us!)
Total votes: 8 (4%)
Total votes: 179
Re: Musical instruments

Wow, this poll and the discussion makes me wish I frequented this forum more often than I do :lol:.

Anyway, in order of proficiency:
clarinet > piano > tenor saxophone >>> bugle/trumpet/mellophone

I plan to major in clarinet performance in college (along with CS), so I'd like to think that I'm pretty good at it. I'll try to post some recordings at some point in the appropriate E&A thread. In the meantime though, here's a link to some of my piano playing from earlier this year (keep in mind that these recordings are before I considered them performance-ready — also, sorry for the bad mike).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfPekDu ... GR1ooaM2YF

Alphastorm wrote: I am a cellist. I just had a competition last week, and by chance I had my Dad record it. You can see it here if you're interested: http://youtu.be/k7qM4BjLG90
Just saw this, and am listening to it now. Other than the occasional tuning issue (which I understand must be ridiculous to deal with on technical pieces on a stringed instrument), it sounds fantastic :thumbup: . How'd you do in the competition, because it sounds like an honorable mention at the very, very least :D

Also, what piece is it that you're playing? It sounds like it's either classical or early romantic, but I can't pin down the composer.
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I didn't win this competition unfortunately :( . The winner gets to play their concerto accompanied the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and this year the winner was a Tuba. Anyways, the piece is the 3rd movement of the Haydn Cello Concerto in D major. It is definitely a classical piece.

To all the other musicians of this community, we can do more than just form a virtual band. We can write our own music incorporating all the instruments, woodwinds, brass, strings, piano, percussion, and whatever else people in these forums play! Together we can create the ultimate Unofficial Limit Theory Soundtrack! Now that would be badass! 8-)

Alphastorm wrote:I didn't win this competition unfortunately :( . The winner gets to play their concerto accompanied the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and this year the winner was a Tuba. Anyways, the piece is the 3rd movement of the Haydn Cello Concerto in D major. It is definitely a classical piece.
Sorry to hear that, but know that you really did play really well. Yeah though, Haydn is definitely classical XD
Alphastorm wrote: To all the other musicians of this community, we can do more than just form a virtual band. We can write our own music incorporating all the instruments, woodwinds, brass, strings, piano, percussion, and whatever else people in these forums play! Together we can create the ultimate Unofficial Limit Theory Soundtrack! Now that would be badass! 8-)
This sounds like fun
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Alphastorm wrote:I didn't win this competition unfortunately :( . The winner gets to play their concerto accompanied the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, and this year the winner was a Tuba. Anyways, the piece is the 3rd movement of the Haydn Cello Concerto in D major. It is definitely a classical piece.
Ah! I worked with a Cellist on the first movement of this concerto last year, it's a lot of fun. Man, what is it with Tubas! We had a Tuba player at my school that won a concerto competition I played in. No offense to Tubas, but to be honest I didn't realize they had that much in the way of concerto material. I must be missing out.

Anyways, great job! I hope you keep up your great work.

I was gonna say! If that'd been romantic, it would have had to have been really early. But the performance was so virtuosic it sounded like it could... Just... Be... :P

Then again, it's the sort of virtuosity one sees in baroque and classical music, not that showmanship of those filthy romantics I kid I kid

Alphastorm wrote: To all the other musicians of this community, we can do more than just form a virtual band. We can write our own music incorporating all the instruments, woodwinds, brass, strings, piano, percussion, and whatever else people in these forums play! Together we can create the ultimate Unofficial Limit Theory Soundtrack! Now that would be badass! 8-)
I'm imagining something like the Doctor Who Fan Orchestra :D
Limit Theory IRC

Played the trumpet in grade school but I have sang on and off for a long time. I got my dad's voice. He has been in choirs or other charity things since he was in grade school. I, however, prefer to never sing seriously and always butcher songs for some reason. My crazy sense of humor probably. Makes people laugh though. :D
Image "Everyone needs to have their avatar's edited to have afros." -Charley Deallus

Woah, whole lot of talent here, well done LT friends :D
Alphastorm wrote:I am a cellist. I just had a competition last week, and by chance I had my Dad record it. You can see it here if you're interested: http://youtu.be/k7qM4BjLG90
Wow, stunning, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: By far my favorite instrument, just can't get enough of those sweet tones. I am determined to get one and see where it goes post-LT-release. Your performance has re-excited me. You really seem to enjoy it!

As for me, drums and piano, in that order. Been told too many times that I look like a monkey when I play the former. Hey, monkeys enjoy themselves, right :monkey: :oops:
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Started playing piano and singing in grade school, with extensive vocal training ever since. (Arrived at a point where I got lead/title-roles in productions of "Hair" and "Joseph")

A few years ago I started composing mainly out of improvisation, right now I'm pushing towards premiering my first big contract work in February. :)

HappyGhecko wrote:well i played flute in elementary, then i learned a bit of swordfighting and completly lost any interest in playing musical instruments :?

My cousin had a bit of a problem once with swordfighting.

She didnt find any club or similar to do it, so she just gathered a few friends and gone into a park in vienna.

15 minutes later they were surrounded by swat-equivalents and discussed swordfighting with them as it became clear that she and her friends dont run amok XD

Speaking of musical instruments and weapons....

When I was living near Washington, D.C., I had a couple of friends who were bagpipers.

One of them told the story of being part of a group of pipers who were going to the Mall to play for the President. As they were setting up, they were approached by a Secret Service agent who told them, with not a trace of humor, "When you're playing, do not aim your pipes at the President; you will be tackled and taken for questioning."

Bagpipes: the world's most dangerous musical instrument.

Online Now