Return to “Technical”

Re: What did I tell you about breaking physics...

Scytale wrote:Could be, but it doesn't easily explain how planets don't fall of orbits...

You know, I might get started on an in-universe "introduction to celestial mechanics" primer.
With the water bowl gravity could be too weak and with my idea about it being in a different universe there could be no gravity at all.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Cornflakes_91 wrote:
Jetison333 wrote: it being in a different universe there could be no gravity at all.
Then you'd have to explain why planets exist and why planet bound civilisations are planetbound and dont fly around the universe without ships :roll:
not sure how to explain how planets were created but the reason they fly with ships is because of no atmosphere.
Scytale wrote: Look, I know people suck. That's the whole point! My question is, are you going to be as horrible as the mob, or are you going to work to be better?

Leo wrote:How about the cosmic stuff repels all other kind of matter, shaping it into spheres and pushing people onto their surfaces?
The asteroids are not spherical because they have a strong personality, although tempered by an obstinate gregariousness.
this is perfect! allthough you could explain asteroids because the pushing affects more mass so that astreroids could stay in there shape. if that made any sense at all.

A way to achieve that could be that the cosmic stuff, instead of repelling matter, is so strongly attracted to it that it wraps it like a mold, and it would team up more on massive bodies like planets and stars. Not sure how to work the math of it. And to make wormholes in a "flat" universe one would need a repellent for that stuff, to carve tunnels where the laws of physics are even weirder, putting GR tensors to shame.
:crazy:

World Astronomical Convention, Eeema, Kzar Prefecture, XY 1347

In a revelation startling in the extreme, Professor Shmalk of the University of Eeema set learned tongues wagging when he announced his discovery that our world, and indeed all the worlds of the heavens, are engirdled entirely by a hitherto-unknown cosmic material.

This "æther," invisible to the naked eye, fills the entirety of space and surrounds all matter, and indeed forces the greatest masses into their spherical forms and perfectly immanent positions through the exertion of an immensurable pressure.

"Since I was but a boy I have felt that the prevailing belief in a magical force of 'gravity' was but an ill-conceived notion, a brief hiatus in the cautious and majestic growth of settled wisdom," said the esteemed Professor to the awestruck throng attending his lecture at the Convention here in the great capital city of His Lordship Xaros, on whose progeny be all blessings. "Now," continued the Professor, "we have the long-sought proof that a physical material, an ætheric form of matter if I may so call it, does indeed extend its mighty reach throughout every corner of the sky across the whole of cosmic creation, and in so doing has brought into existence the very firmament upon which we stand, and on which we are in fact pushed. It is with the greatest humility and respect for our benefactors that we offer our careful research, our indisputable results, and our grateful thanks for their continued sponsorship of our work, which we do to exalt their names down through the echoing vaults of time."

As yet His Lordship Xaros, for whose fecundity we devoutly wish, and the Rectory of Divines have made no comment regarding Professor Shmalk's astonishing announcement and what effect if any it may have on His Lordship's benevolent guidance or on matters of doctrine so carefully followed by all persons of good will and generous nature. Readers of this broadsheet may be assured that, the moment such responses are accorded to us, we shall endeavor to bring those remarks to the attention of a curious public with all dispatch!

--Gazenth Motred, Proclaimer-in-Chief, The Daily Respirant

Online Now