Return to “Suggestions”

Re: Voice Acting - Crowdsourcing?

Talvieno wrote:I think a certain orange knight we all know and love would strongly disagree with you. :lol:
Braben is making his own game and can do in it as he likes :p
Challenging your assumptions is good for your health, good for your business, and good for your future. Stay skeptical but never undervalue the importance of a new and unfamiliar perspective.
Imagination Fertilizer
Beauty may not save the world, but it's the only thing that can

I would prefer the chatter or no chatter question to be laid to rest once and for all by the only official source that can make the call, namely, Josh Parnell. He probably has a fairly good idea of the costs involved especially if he did request some sort of estimate from his sound engineers.

I've no doubts that voice acting will appear in follow up games by Parnell Studio Productions but it would be good to read what Josh has to say on this topic. :angel:

I would still like to know if there is any chance of LT including voice content for my shipboard AI. I haven't changed my preference for a female voice. ;) Bitching Betty doesn't have to be a bitch. :D

Victor, I'm not entirely sure that would be so fitting for such a game as this. Haha

Chatter is nice, but in moderation. You don't want SPAZ chatter which is like 5 audio files on loop and gets old pretty quickly (It also sounds stupid, but it works for SPAZ)

I would like X3 chatter in LT, where they would utter a line to you when you interact with them.
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Talvieno wrote:I'd be happy with Freelancer chatter.

"Hello ... I am hailing from ... Manhattan ... and heading to ... Houston ... with my shipment of ... chemical supplies ... over"
This, but with VO's from people here, and no obvious audio gaps :V
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Silverware wrote:

"Hello ... I am hailing from ... Manhattan ... and heading to ... Houston ... with my shipment of ... chemical supplies ... over"
The audio gaps don't irritate me too much, they're somewhat cool imo.
I would love to hear Victor's voice doing a VO. Maybe I'll finally learn something about him! :D
<Detritus> I went up to my mom and said "hey... do you feel like giving five dollars to black lives matter?" and she laughed and said no :v <Black--Snow> my life does matter though ~~ added by Hema on Jun 11 2020 (2770)

Silverware wrote:

The fact that LT has effectively random commodities (I imagine a few staples like "water" would be hardcoded for some degree of realism) and placenames would pretty well preclude the need to piece together voice clips.

I imagine it would be more pilot-to-pilot chatter,

"Don't fall asleep on me -- out here you'll get us killed!"
"You mess with the viper, you get the fangs."
"HULL BREACH!"

and so on. Though we'd need a bunch of those (several hundred, and played at sparse intervals) to keep them from getting old.

I do think it's worth noting that Freelancer's buffet-style NPC chatter was very well done, and the slight pauses and modulations of voices become the new normal once you've played long enough. Sure beats Elite: Dangerous (a game released eleven years later), which barely provides any text-based dialogue from NPCs -- usually "I'm going to pirate you" or "I have some information for you" -- much less any voice-acting.

Barring any VA in Limit Theory, it would be nice to at least see a little dialogue box in one of the corners of the screen where you can "listen" to NPCs conversing, and see warnings and messages directed toward you (and be prompted to respond if necessary).
Shameless Self-Promotion 0/ magenta 0/ Forum Rules & Game FAQ

Grumblesaur wrote: The fact that LT has effectively random commodities (I imagine a few staples like "water" would be hardcoded for some degree of realism) and placenames would pretty well preclude the need to piece together voice clips.

I imagine it would be more pilot-to-pilot chatter,

"Don't fall asleep on me -- out here you'll get us killed!"
"You mess with the viper, you get the fangs."
"HULL BREACH!"

and so on. Though we'd need a bunch of those (several hundred, and played at sparse intervals) to keep them from getting old.

I do think it's worth noting that Freelancer's buffet-style NPC chatter was very well done, and the slight pauses and modulations of voices become the new normal once you've played long enough. Sure beats Elite: Dangerous (a game released eleven years later), which barely provides any text-based dialogue from NPCs -- usually "I'm going to pirate you" or "I have some information for you" -- much less any voice-acting.

Barring any VA in Limit Theory, it would be nice to at least see a little dialogue box in one of the corners of the screen where you can "listen" to NPCs conversing, and see warnings and messages directed toward you (and be prompted to respond if necessary).
We could work with categories,

Transporting Raw materials,
Transporting electronic goods
Transporting, none-of-ya-business!

Place names will be a pain, but if we work with the name generator and do syllables, we could generate a reasonably large number of potential names of places/pilots/ships/things

The pilot-to-pilot chatter will of course be the easiest, and yes, hundreds of thousands of voice clips to get this right is important. :D
But then, it would add so much to the game to have people's voices and such.
°˖◝(ಠ‸ಠ)◜˖°
WebGL Spaceships and Trails
<Cuisinart8> apparently without the demon driving him around Silver has the intelligence of a botched lobotomy patient ~ Mar 04 2020
console.log(`What's all ${this} ${Date.now()}`);

Online Now