Return to “Announcements”

Re: About the RTS interface

Rabiator wrote:Josh, I understand it is very early code, so this is not meant to disparage your efforts. But I noticed the grid in the RTS interface turns into a homogenous blue mass if you zoom out far enough. What about every n-th line being a different colour (and painted after/overwriting the blue ones, so it will not be drowned in blue when zoomed out)?

Repeat for really large views with yet other colors. Say,
  • every 10th line in green and overwriting blue when things becone crowded
  • every 100th line in yellow and overwriting green
  • every 1000th line in red and overwriting yellow
Also, I think Asmodai's ideas have merit too.
3ds max does the 10:1 thing, but with the same gridlines to avoid visual confusion. You could easily put a scale bar or a google maps-like zoom bar though.
Re: Development Update #1: January 2013

I just re watched the Developement Update for January and I noticed something. And this may be trivial but when the fighter was passing through the capitol ships shield from the out side, you got a nice spash effect from the shield. But when the fighter passed out of the shield, nothing happened. When the fighter shot at the shield, you got the same effect whether the fighter was outside or inside the shield. Shouldn't you get the same effect from the fighter when it passes out of the shield as you get passing through the shield from the outside?
Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I have seen, it seem to me most strange, that men should fear, seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come.

happyguy142 wrote:My only problem with their being a splash when the fighter leaves the shield is wouldn't that mean there would have to be a splash every time a weapon was fired from the ship?
I'm sure it can be tweaked to ignore splash when the originating ship is firing.

However, this brings up another (possible) issue.

I would almost request a light iridescent hue for the shield regardless of whether or not it is being shot at. This way, if I have a big capital ship, I don't have to wonder about why some of the smaller fighters are hitting my ship from certain distances because I forgot to decrease the radius of the shield (ref: shield size vs. shield strength notes).

I still want the splash effect, but I don't want to have to wonder (especially if it's me trying to protect against others) whether or not fighters are inside my shield. It's hard for me to remember where I put my shields sometimes. :?
Early Spring - 1055: Well, I made it to Boatmurdered, and my initial impressions can be set forth in three words: What. The. F*ck.

DWMagus wrote:
happyguy142 wrote:My only problem with their being a splash when the fighter leaves the shield is wouldn't that mean there would have to be a splash every time a weapon was fired from the ship?
I'm sure it can be tweaked to ignore splash when the originating ship is firing.

However, this brings up another (possible) issue.

I would almost request a light iridescent hue for the shield regardless of whether or not it is being shot at. This way, if I have a big capital ship, I don't have to wonder about why some of the smaller fighters are hitting my ship from certain distances because I forgot to decrease the radius of the shield (ref: shield size vs. shield strength notes).

I still want the splash effect, but I don't want to have to wonder (especially if it's me trying to protect against others) whether or not fighters are inside my shield. It's hard for me to remember where I put my shields sometimes. :?
It's a good point, will take it into consideration!
Soler wrote:At about 7 minutes into the development update video, you can clearly see that his ship is firing and hitting the shield from inside the capital ship's shield, so my guess would be that fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield, but all other does as DWMagus said.
Correct, only fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield. I can think of technobabble explanations if you require them :P
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” ~ Henry Ford

Katorone wrote:
JoshParnell wrote:Correct, only fire from the originating ship does not affect the shield. I can think of technobabble explanations if you require them :P
Shield frequencies of course! :D
Wait, 'technobabble' is not a clean implementation!
When the cap-ship weapons are firing from within the shield and can just pass through it, there should be a nice effect on the shield, no?
A very short shield-hole, or maybe the shield gets green at the point where the own shot is passing through? Come on! ;)

Online Now